Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2014, 23:17   #1

Boat: Casacde 36
Lightbulb cabin top leveling block for stove exhaust stack

I am installing a Dickinson, Alaska, heater and need to know the proper method of making and installing a leveling block for the 3 inch stack to go through the cabin top of my Cascade 36.
Should it be made in one piece, or laminated?
Should the block be secured to the cabin top, the trim ring secured to the underside of the overhead, separately? Or should the whole thing be through bolted?
I am almost complete with the project but could use some advice on this item.
Thanks

Old 14-03-2014, 00:33   #2

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Re: cabin top leveling block for stove exhaust stack

On Terra Nova I made the diesel heater vent removable by installing a stainless deck plate on a plywood spacer ring, which was epoxied and painted to match the deck. The deck plate is normally fitted with its screw-in cap, during warm weather. The Charley-Noble fastens to holes I tapped into the deck plate's flange.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 00:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Got a suitable piece of 2" teak and used a belt sander to grind it down to fit the curvature of the deck. A large band saw would have made the job a lot quicker.
Old 14-03-2014, 09:31   #4

Boat: Casacde 36

Thanks for your help.
Would I be best to through-bolt the flange, of the stack, the block the cabin top, and then the inside trim ring? Or would it be simpler, and just as effective, to use screws and thus screw the block to the cabin top, then the stack flange to the block, then screw the inside trim ring to the underside of the cabin top?

I have a local fellow who is in favor of thru-bolting the whole set up together but I am skeptical of being able to accurately drill down through all pieces and have the inside trim ring screw holes exactly line up with the screw holes in the outer stack flange, as we're talking about drilling thru about 3 1/2 inches of thickness here.
Old 14-03-2014, 09:40   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
Thanks for your help.
Would I be best to through-bolt the flange, of the stack, the block the cabin top, and then the inside trim ring? Or would it be simpler, and just as effective, to use screws and thus screw the block to the cabin top, then the stack flange to the block, then screw the inside trim ring to the underside of the cabin top?

I have a local fellow who is in favor of thru-bolting the whole set up together but I am skeptical of being able to accurately drill down through all pieces and have the inside trim ring screw holes exactly line up with the screw holes in the outer stack flange, as we're talking about drilling thru about 3 1/2 inches of thickness here.

Option B.

The proper method of fitting is to put a bullet level on top of the block in place, shim it until the top is level in both planes, set a compass to slightly more than max shim gap, scribe around, and cut to the line with band saw or dozuki. Easy peasy.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 10:13   #6

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

No matter the material from which you make the wedge, consider having a cage that is attached directly to (or is a part of) the wedge to minimize the number of holes drilled into cabin top.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimney wedge and protector 001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	77562  
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 10:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I dont think you need to thru bolt all as one piece. Be sure to seal everything very well though so you dont get leaks into the deck core. Whatever you do , it needs to be very strong and secure though... as eventually you will catch a line on it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 10:23   #8

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Back in the day when I did mine on my old boat (1981), I used a premade tapered teak winch mounting block which were then commonly available in chandleries. It made the job very simple... just adjust the underside to fit the curve of the cabin top and drill the hole.

I don't know if these are still commonly available, though.
Old 14-03-2014, 12:53   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There is no need to through bolt the deck flange to the inside trim ring. There will be little torque on the deck flange as the Charlie Noble would pull off if accidentally hooked by a line on a wild jibe or something. Won't make you feel any better about losing the C/N but would installation of the deck flange way easier. Seems like a lot of humbug to keep the drill lined up to go all the way through that much material and hit the right spot at the bottom. I just screwed the deck flange and block to the deck and screwed the trim flange to the cabin top from underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
Thanks for your help.

Tags
cabin, exhaust

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: