Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 10:29   #1

Cabin Sole/Tanks/ winter projects

Fact: Boat is 33 years old with original aluminum tanks.
Fact: Entire cabin sole looks like crap.
Fact: One possibly two of the 150 gallon tanks are leaking.
Fact: In order to get out said tanks I will have to completely destroy the interior of the boat.

There are 4 125 gallon water tanks and one 125 gallon fuel tank. I would rather have less water and more fuel.

Question: Is this something I should try on my own? Can one even remove the floor without tearing up all the furniture attached to it? As a novice wood worker could I even do this well enough to do it justice? Does anyone do this type work around Friendship...the couple of places I've called won't return my calls...that says something for sure!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 10:38   #2

Re: Cabin Sole/Tanks/ winter projects

It's real hard to evaluate without knowing the boat. Usually where there is a will there is a way.
Are you sure you want more fuel tankage? Many boats sit with too much fuel tankage and the fuel gets old and poor. Some people consider less tankage and therefore have fresh fuel. Just a thought.
Is cutting the tanks apart in place an option? You can buy a Bosch nibbler to help with the cutting. Another option is the cut the top off the tanks and put smaller tanks inside the old ones.
Often boat furniture is built as removeable, although it's not obvious...but often not too.
A cabin sold with minimal openings can be carefully cut in ways to make the whole sole a patchwork of removeable hatches.
Cut the openings, reinforces the openings, recut and trim the mating edges of the hatch and the opening.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 15:15   #3

I like the idea of having the removable hatches. Of I did that I might could get at the tanks enough to expose enough of the tank to actually get into them and remove baffling and then insert liners or something. That's an idea for sure. I just wish I could find someone with experience or skills at this. In afraid of getting into this and it blow up into a nightmare. Right now I can live on board but if I get into this I don't think I'll be able to stay.
Old 29-10-2013, 15:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Get an experienced boat carpenter. A good one will see where cuts can and can't be made they will see things an amateur won't. Have had the experience.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 17:51   #5

Yeah, you dont want a tank to spring a leak and then have the bilge pump pumping it out all night!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 18:07   #6

Based on the reactions so far I think the experienced guys think it too much of a hassle to deal with! That's the problem with being in the middle of so many boats and so much money. They can pick and choose what to work on.
Old 08-11-2013, 17:15   #7

Looks like there are no baffles in the tank. This is the total amount of access I have to the tanks without cutting up the floor. I'm still thinking of some sort of flexible liner if I can cut the corner open. What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131108_201415.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	70063

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131108_201446.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	70064

These are the two tanks on the starboard side.
Old 08-11-2013, 17:45   #8

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk

I had similar issue with my stainless steel water tanks. I had baffles in my tanks so the solution I'm providing did not work for me.

In your case, you might try this painted on the inside of the tanks:metal sealant, seal pump valves, Microseal
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:41   #9
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

I was called to the Boca Grande area earlier this week to pressure test a 300 gallon diesel tank - it failed. If you think your tank leaks test it.

Cutting a fuel tank out is no task the average guy should tackle. Getting access beyond the cabin sole is one major issue only to be followed with the oil, grit and grime.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 20:14   #10

Thanks wgh52 that stuff seems like it might work. The problem would be spraying it through a 2 inch hole. Unless I cut the corner open and it's large enough for a sprayer... then if I'm going to do that I'm back to a flexible bladder. These are two water tanks. There are two more on the other side. 500 gallons total. 125 each. The 125 gallon diesel aluminum tank is solid I think. No diesel smell in the boat. I just can't believe no one out there does this professionally.
Old 08-11-2013, 20:17   #11

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

PRO-SEAL FUEL TANK SEALANT from Aircraft Spruce

This stuff is amazing. Incredibly sticky. Stays rubbery. It is used in new aircraft manufacture to create fuel tanks in riveted structures (wings). Consistency is very thick - about like 5200.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 20:18   #12

Looking in the tank it looks like an old water heater... Full of calcium chunks... 33 years worth I assume! I think I will let it dry and try vacuuming that out. Any other way to dissolve it? Get it out... Very interesting and perplexing problem.

Tags
cabin, cabin sole, tanks