Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2017, 13:47   #1

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34
Cabin Sole Problem

As you can see from the photos, I'm having a little problem with a small patch of my cabin sole. This at the bottom of the companion way steps. I noticed it at the beginning of last season and it's gotten progressively worse.

I could use some advice with the following:
A. Understanding the source of the problem (yeah, I know it's water, but from where?)
B. Steps I need to take in order to repair this. It does look as if the "subfloor" has also gotten wet.
C. On a scale of 1 -10, how difficult a project is this?

The boat is a 1986 Newport 33. I'm the second owner. This is the only place in the cabin where is is happening.

Thanks to all for your advice. I rely on the collective wisdom of this group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabin sole.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	141600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up of cabin sole.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	141601  

daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 14:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Cabin Sole Problem

The most likely place for the water is down the companionway hatch. But it could also be from water in the bilge.

As bad as it looks frankly I would just replace it. It isn't difficult, but at a minimum you need a router with a flush trim bit.

So just buy a sheet of teak and holly veneer plywood, cut it to the rough size, then clamp the old board on top of the new plywood and use the flush trim bit to make it exactly the same size and shape as the old one.

If the old board is too far gone to have a solid edge for the router to follow then build it up with epoxy and filler until you get a strait edge hard enough for the router to follow.

If you need some practice, then just make a couple of practice boards from throw away plywood first.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 18:55   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just how wet is the sub flooring? Fresh water encourages timber rot. If that's from rain water entering through the hatch when it's closed up, that is the problem that needs addressing. It could be anything from water coming in under the storm hood, to a plugged drain hole that no longer lets water out, to something needing a gasket, or ???. Follow the water stain trail. Otherwise, your new floor board piece of cabin sole will soon go the way of the first one. [By the way, with the plywood, before you varnish it, first seal all the edges with penetrating epoxy; if you want, seal it all, then sand and varnish.]

Ann
Old 19-02-2017, 19:20   #4

Ann, thanks for your reply. As this is the only area affected, my bet is rain water entering from the hatch.
Old 19-02-2017, 20:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

As Ann said, treating the wood with thinned epoxy works great. I've gotten to the point that I treat all wood 1st with thinned epoxy. I have a wood boat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:25   #6

I've gotten some advice for synthetic alternatives to teak & holly veneer plywood. The samples I've seen don't come near to the real thing. So, I'm looking for a source for t&h veneer plywood. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Not local to you, but most medium sized cities will have a specialty lumber yard that either has it, or can get it with a little lee time. It's a specialty item but not a terribly uncommon one, particularly if you are in an area with a decent marine industry.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:22   #8

Thanks for the advice, Stumble.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:50   #9

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Understanding that the previous owner probably didn't do much required wood finishing, I would bet you won't have any more problems with this once you build a new sole. Remember to seal the edges of the ply as well as the surfaces. You already have some great advice, I just wanted to add the bit about making sure the edges are sealed.

Remember, the edges are also where the soles rub as the boat moves, twists and bends, and that's also where grit ends up, so it's like sand paper in those cracks...You need to maintain the edge perhaps even more than the surface you walk on.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 13:12   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddiscenza View Post
...how difficult a project is this?...
This is a very simple project for someone with basic woodworking skills and tools. You'll need to accurately measure the width of the teak and holly strips as well as the thickness of the plywood and overall dimensions. The hardest part will be finding someone local who is willing to supply you with a piece of teak and holly ply, to precisely match the existing pattern, without buying a whole sheet. If you cannot find a partial sheet, locally, I may have some.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 14:32   #11

My Bristol came with a design flaw where the space under the galley sink would trap water. There is a water tank vent hose, which vents water if you overfill the tank, 3 Willcox Crittenden seacocks, the fresh water pressure pump, and the raw water strainer under there, and a concave space to trap any leaky water. The result was a constantly damp environment. The water wicked into the galley sole around the companionway steps, causing the kind of damage you are seeing.

Fixed it by lining the space with epoxy then coating with bilge paint. This seals the water into the space, and away from the sole. Then ran the water tank vent hose to an extra faucet into the galley sink. The area now stays dry.
Old 03-04-2017, 14:39   #12

It's just years of getting wet there. The boards were likely not sealed except on the top so any moisture wicks into the end grain. Hopefully you can find a remnant of Teak and Holly ply to do it with. maybe advertise, ex boat builders have stuff stored in sheds. I do, unfortunately I don't have any Teak and Holly rems left.
-Cut cleanly on table saw
-sand edges smooth on belt sander.
-hand sand corners at the top surface just to break the sharp edge.
-Finish.

Another option is to just use good teak ply and put a protective product on that piece which takes a beating anyway. Like Treadmaster or even the hardware store version of tread type rubber/vinyl interlocking flooring.
I bought some of these in dark grey years ago, some left, thin and tuff as a brick. If installed well with interlocks cut smooth could be nice.
Tuff-Seal Tiles are Tuff-Seal Floor Tiles by American Floor Mats

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:49   #13

Where is Tolchester? Boulder Plywood in Somerville, Mass. Has all types of boat wood ! No relation or whatever, just a happy customer. They ship any size, anywhere, or at least they did a couple of years ago!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 16:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Where is Tolchester? Boulder Plywood in Somerville, Mass. Has all types of boat wood ! No relation or whatever, just a happy customer. They ship any size, anywhere, or at least they did a couple of years ago!
Mike D. Thanks for the referral. I'll send them the picture and see if tbey have what I need.
Old 11-04-2017, 17:30   #15

They will probably want size etc., when you call !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cabin sole