Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 17:45   #1

Cabin Sole Options

Hello to all CF members. This is my first post, and I hope it's not too elementary for your consideration.

I have a 1988 Catalina 30 Mk. II in fine shape. It has the original (bare) cabin sole with narrow teak cover boards for the bilge and shaft. I've been using rugs for comfort. But I like the look of a real wood cabin sole.

I'd like to install something that has the appearance of teak-and-holly panels. I want something that looks like the real thing but is durable and maintenance free. Really don't want to drill holes in the sole if I don't have to. I'm fairly handy with tools and have a well-stocked workshop.

My research seems to point to the synthetic vinyl products that glue down. Are there other alternatives? Without spending a fortune (more than a $kilobuck) what are my options? Specific recommendations with photos and links to sources would be especially appreciated.

Thank you. CTexJim
CTexJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 17:53   #2

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII
Re: Cabin Sole Options

We have a Catalina 42 and we need to replace a few floorboards which has now become replacing them all. We have fiberglass pans that the panels fit into and my husband (who's doing the work) got thin marine plywood and a product called Lonseal. LONSEAL Flooring: LONWOOD MARINE - <b>Lonwood Marine</b> is Lonseal's high-performance, slip-resistant marine safety flooring in teak and holly. The style comes in both a glossy surface option or with Lonseal's factory-applied urethane finish, Topsea We'll see how well it works!! He was working on putting in a new head and a new radio with a handset at the helm and he just finished that so it's on to the floor now!
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 17:56   #3

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

The real thing is durable and maintenance free. Mine is 37 years old and still looks good. It's had shoes worn on it, puke on it, oil, alcohol, coolant and diesel spilled on it, batteries dragged on it, dog claws on it. If you have the bucks, get the real thing.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1461113780745.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	122861  
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 18:39   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

While waiting for a $300 sheet of teak and holly veneer plywood to arrive ( the original material used by Catalina) I made some "temporary" floorboards up out of pre-finished engineered oak flooring I had on hand. Glued them up with waterproof glue and sealed with a couple coats of varnish. Used the old pieces as patterns, belt sander very useful for getting the curves. Tough as nails and probably $25 worth of materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 3.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	122863   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 4.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	122864  

Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 18:48   #5

Boat: Catalina 387

The problem with the real thing is that the floor of a C-30 is pretty curved. So a vinyl product would be a good fit, or thin veneer. It's curved enough that I warn guests about the area right in front of the head/v-berth - if you're in slippery footwear you'll fall there.

I had interior boat flooring | PVC marine waterproof boat floor | NautikFlor in my history. No prices on the webpage so I assume it'll be expensive. Shouldn't be because I assume it's just standard allure type of stuff printed teak/holly. But it's for a boat...

So I've been thinking about buying some stick-down allure (HD sells it). Get some teak or teakish color, and some maple or hollyiish color. Zing a bunch through the tablesaw and go glue it down. May be an insane idea. OR, get the thicker allure type of vinyl product, and inset 'holly' strips with a router (and glue).
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 19:04   #6

Boat: Catalina 385
Cabin Sole Options

I second the Lonseal. It is installed in new Catalinas. Dropped a big wrench on mine once and nary a scratch. I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Doug4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:21   #7

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my question.

And thanks for the great photos. They make my mouth water.

Unfortunately I don't like any of the available options. Until I can upgrade to a newer, bigger boat with a factory teak floor, I'm thinking a couple of nice fitted rugs with a nautical theme is the best choice.

I found a 4' diameter circular rug that fits the saloon floor perfectly.

Remember, keep the rig up and the water out - the rest is just inconvenience.
CTexJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 21:30   #8

Boat: Catalina C42

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
We have a Catalina 42 and we need to replace a few floorboards which has now become replacing them all. We have fiberglass pans that the panels fit into and my husband (who's doing the work) got thin marine plywood and a product called Lonseal. LONSEAL Flooring: LONWOOD MARINE - <b>Lonwood Marine</b> is Lonseal's high-performance, slip-resistant marine safety flooring in teak and holly. The style comes in both a glossy surface option or with Lonseal's factory-applied urethane finish, Topsea We'll see how well it works!! He was working on putting in a new head and a new radio with a handset at the helm and he just finished that so it's on to the floor now!

Hi Annsni
Like you I have a Catalina 42 and need to replace the teak and holly floor boards. Did you end up completing your project with the Lonseal product? If so, which product did you go with and would you know roughly how much of it you bought/used? Are you pleased with the result?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:07   #9

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owe Hansson View Post
Hi Annsni
Like you I have a Catalina 42 and need to replace the teak and holly floor boards. Did you end up completing your project with the Lonseal product? If so, which product did you go with and would you know roughly how much of it you bought/used? Are you pleased with the result?
I have to be honest - we haven't finished the project. The Lonseal is still sitting in my dining room. Hopefully he will get to it this spring (he is doing the project in the garage and it's just too cold right now to do anything).
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:38   #10

Boat: Currently boatless

Any thought on the best finish to use on teak and holly veneer plywood sole? Years ago there was a product everyone liked (I don't remember the name) but the company seems to have gone out of business.
Old 05-01-2017, 16:43   #11

Boat: Catalina C42

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
I have to be honest - we haven't finished the project. The Lonseal is still sitting in my dining room. Hopefully he will get to it this spring (he is doing the project in the garage and it's just too cold right now to do anything).
Fair enough. You can't rush these things
Old 05-01-2017, 16:52   #12

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

For my c30 I use cherry luan. Cut cardboard patterns. Lay on two 8x4 sheets of Luan. Watch grain direction. Trace and cut Luan. Cut along curved areas. Seal with poly. Make sure u seal edges well.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 17:05   #13

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Hey folks, figured I'd tag onto this post.

I, too, want to replace the cabin flooring of my Tartan with one of these synthetic teak/holly products like NuTeak or Lonseal. Problem is, the stuff is sold in 12 foot roles or some such thing and I can't find anywhere to buy just a very small quantity of the stuff. Their distributers/retailers are typically also installers and not very interested in just carving off a strip and selling it. Anyone know where to buy small sections of the stuff? Bonus points if they're in the Seattle area!

Thanks
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 16:50   #14

Boat: Ranger 26

Our Ranger 26 has the fiberglass pan in it as well. When we got it, it had crappy carpet in it. We are in the same boat as everyone else, trying to find a decent option to dress it up a bit but not break the bank. Sheet products that glue down seem like a good idea. The problem we have with the Lonseal is that it comes in 72" widths and we only really need something about 30" wide but about 10' long. So for it to be economical we would have to lay it with the stripes running sideway, and that just looks funny.
Laminate flooring that snaps together could be nice, but I'm just not sure how it would work with the curvature of the floor.
ordkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 17:59   #15

So you buy 5' of it, cut it in half and you have your sole. 36X10
normdeeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cabin sole