Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43   #1

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Cabin Sole Ideas: TrafficMaster Allure Ultra

I am exploring all of my options for cabin sole replacement, and yesterday, I walked past a box of TrafficMaster Allure Ultra at Home Depot and it piqued my interest.

Has anyone used a product like this aboard a sailboat? I would love to hear your experiences. Otherwise, what are your thoughts on using something like this?

Quote:
Recommended for floating installation in interior residential and commercial areas. The Allure Ultra vinyl plank flooring features waterproof, shock-absorbent construction that provides resistance to skidding, staining, scratching and marking. This tile offers a wood-grain pattern and can be used over many subfloor surfaces.
TrafficMaster Allure Ultra 7.5 in. x 47.6 in. 2-Strip Clear Cherry Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (19.8 sq.ft. / case)-66411 at The Home Depot

Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53   #2

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran
I haven't used it but am with you. Very interesting...
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Cabin Sole Ideas: TrafficMaster Allure Ultra

From the HD web site:
"For use indoors and temperature controlled environments only, see installation instructions for more information"

Until I read that, it sounded pretty good. Someone also recommended MetroFlor, sounds similar. Now I'll have to read the fine print in their installation instructions, too.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

I have put similar stuff into a few homes over the years. From the look of the video this stuff has the standard heavy cardboard type of backer that allows the snap lock to be cut into the profile. I would think it would degrade a bit over time, become uneven and show the seems. A good test would be to get a small sample and toss it in a bucket of water for a few days, if it swells and degrades I would say it is a no go.

However, I have istalled peal & strick vinyl planks (Mahogany) in the sole of my little boat. Works great for the price and bends to the contour of my sole, cut to fit with a utility knife. Purchased it at Lumber Liquidators.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:56   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I would think if it is vinyl some moisture would be OK, if engineered wood not so much. You have to be able to spill things on it and mop it in a house right?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07   #6

l wouldn't use it. The installation instructions post some stern warnings about flooding and temperature regulation, and they also call for a gap at walls which might be unsightly and dirt collectors.

From the Installation Instructions:
CAUTION:
Do not install allure over
carpet or any foam underlayment. This
product is not suitable for any outside use,
sunrooms/solariums, saunas, or rooms that
have the potential of flooding. We also
highly recommend you do not install in
rooms or homes that are not temperature
controlled. Exposure to long term direct

sunlight can cause damage to your floor.
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10   #7

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

no cardboard or wood at all in the product, at least from what I felt while touching it. It seems 100% plastics/rubber/etc. I'm not sure, as it says 100% waterproof, why it wouldn't work in a boat. Nothing to deteriorate when wet.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

The bucket test will tell you.

My boat was a mildew and clam farm for a few years before I purchased it last winter. I am still chasing leaks on the weekend and have yet to re-bed the windows. As it is my boat makes a lot of water when it rains heavily. Suffice it to say I had a bad bilge pump connector and after a week of heavy rain I opened it up see my sole under about 1" of water. My peal and stick vinyl worked great, fixed my pump and it is as if there was never water there.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21   #9

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran

For one, if you want something permanent fiberglass the floor and be done with it. If you want something else expect it won't last forever. It's ridiculous that these people sell it advertising 100% waterproof yet restrict installation to areas that don't flood. Duh!? I wouldn't be surprised if the verbiage in the installation instructions aren't cut and paste from all their products and they would just as soon leave it that we way in case it isn't exactly 100% waterproof as advertised. The square footage on our boats is so small that I don't see how you could go wrong putting the stuff in. The idea behind being a floating floor being what it is means there will have to be that gap previously referred to. What could be used as the boat version of "quarter round"? I'm guessing the expansion between temperature changes could be considerable when the boat is sitting in the hot summer sun...
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:42   #10

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

This sounds like the same product I just used at my brother's cottage last week.

I recommended to my brother the product that comes in 6 by 36 inch pieces with adhesive strips. HD said that product was no good for an unheated space as the adhesive would/might fail. The cottage will get er slightly cold in the winter around here.

The product in this thread seems to be the same plastic material, it just mechanically locks together, and is a little thicker.

I frankly found the stick together stuff easier to use, and it is cheaper by about $1 SF.

I imagine either product would last at least as well as anything in a marine environment. Remember the manufacturer is giving you rules in the context of their 25 year warranty (and their legal department). As someone else mentioned, it costs about $200 for a boat sized area and your time to run the experiment.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50   #11

Boat: Tanton 43 Cat Ketch

We used a similar all vinyl product (bamboo) and after five years it's just the same as it was on day one. It has taken lots of water on it, heavy traffic, oils, fuels, etc.... Never had any difficulties with it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

https://www.bluekaravan.com
svOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

After seeing it on other peoples' boats, I'm going to go for this:

LONSEAL Flooring: Product Applications

It's industrial grade, waterproof but doesn't look it. It does a reasonable fascimile of teak and holly, which I wouldn't have aboard anyway.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cabin Sole Ideas: TrafficMaster Allure Ultra

Just buy an 8x4 sheet or 2 of Teak and Holly marine ply... lift your old sole and use the sections as templates then when cut epoxy all round concentrating on the edges to seal them well and then fit...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17   #14

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

My daughter has two adopted special needs boys and their medical equipment is very hard on the floors + blood, barf and everything else you can imagine. She found a commercial grade vinyl flooring made by Armstrong at Flooring America that is all vinyl and looks like wood strips, complete with grain texture. it comes in several colors and styles, looks great and the colored vinyl is at least 1/2 the total thickness (so it can take pretty severe gouges and color is still fine) with the balance being brown vinyl + adhesive peel off strips. No cardboard backing or anything that fluids could damage.It is a floating, overlapping installation. I was doubtful, but its been in three years and not a single scratch or any damage, despite dragging furniture all over it + the medical stuff. Seems like is was about $1.75/ square foot and comes in 6" wide x 3' lengths.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 13:04   #15

Boat: Alberg 30
What about using the synthetic teak designed for outer decks of boats? Would certainly be hard wearing inside.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin