Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 00:14   #46
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: Cabin layout changes, do they make sense to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
If you are just building it as a bachelor's liveaboard then you have no problem.
No, it is not a bachelor's liveaboard. It is a pretty serious passage-capable boat that must double as a home for a man starting off on a new career that may take him anywhere in Australia.

It will be sailing in some trying conditions when it is not tied to shore.

But, it will do that passage making, at least for the foreseeable future, as a solo sailor's boat.

Therefore, the extra sea berth is not required.

I am comfortable with that, are you?

Old 29-09-2017, 00:18   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yes and no. Given I am unlikely to sail with crew, I mostly need to consider friends/family coming to stay for a night or two at anchor in in a marina.

And if I sail with a crew, at most it will be one, for which, yes, this will leave me vulnerable on a starboard tack as all that will be on offer for the other crewmember is the deckhouse.

But on the port tack there is still the midships cabin and the starboard settee in addition to the deckhouse.

Then, I guess if they can handle sleeping transverse, which some people can do and I certainly can, there is the stern cabin.

I can see a post on the crew wanted forum....

"Wanted, crew member for journey from Adelaide to Hobart. Must be able to sleep on a transverse bunk or at deck height, unless the wind is blowing from the East."

Could be hard to explain.
Stern cabins are not a fun place to be in a seaway....

If you only sail '2 up' at max one seaberth is plenty... you simply hot bunk ... all you need is an extra pillow.... I refuse to share pillows....

Sleeping on the high side isn't an issue if you have a well set up lee cloth.... the securing stringy bits need to be taken out towards the ship's side... otherwise you might as well be in a hammock.

My boat was built back in the day when 'how many does she sleep' was question #1 at the boat shows.... supposedly she 'sleeps 10' ... but they would have to be really really good friends...... and there would have to be two sittings at meal times....

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 00:22   #48

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

So a single hander then. Whatever you wish to call it is fine with me. I think that many here are trying to caution you against compromizing the only sea berths.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 00:25   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
So a single hander then. Whatever you wish to call it is fine with me. I think that many here are trying to caution you against compromizing the only sea berths.
Yes, I got that advice. This is why I am going modular as first suggested by Denverd0n and subsequent others.
Old 29-09-2017, 00:34   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Stern cabins are not a fun place to be in a seaway....

If you only sail '2 up' at max one seaberth is plenty... you simply hot bunk ... all you need is an extra pillow.... I refuse to share pillows....

Sleeping on the high side isn't an issue if you have a well set up lee cloth.... the securing stringy bits need to be taken out towards the ship's side... otherwise you might as well be in a hammock.

My boat was built back in the day when 'how many does she sleep' was question #1 at the boat shows.... supposedly she 'sleeps 10' ... but they would have to be really really good friends...... and there would have to be two sittings at meal times....
Yes, ten people on a boat less than 60 feet long sounds a bit intimate for my liking.

I have slept in the uphilll settee once. Although the lee cloths are very good, it still felt oddly precarious. Maybe you get used to it?

I didn't mind the stern cabin, even in Bass Strait. (I may be weird though, it has been suggested to me from time to time.) Perhaps the canoe stern gives a nicer ride at the stern? Certainly nice and quiet back there.
Old 29-09-2017, 05:29   #51

Boat: plastic production yacht, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I was thinking to ask you: "Why don't you post a interior plan here so we can all even better see what your boat is like"
Then I thought to google, what is there, what was a basic layout like yours and.... I came across your post when you were considering buying this/a Swanson 42. here Roberts 45 vs Swanson 42

As you said in that post over 10 years ago when talking about fitout "No, I'm most concerned with the stuff I can not change through my own efforts over time. "

You may have acquired lots of woodworking skills over time, maybe not. If you have not, then a word of warning that changing the fitout requires lots of time and effort, and if not done right, will not help the resale value.
When I was boat-shopping I looked at 2 Swanson 42s, and I walked away from these because of poor/strange fitout.

Have you thought about selling your boat and start shopping again? Hmmm, I know the perfect boat...... but I am biased.

EDIT: Did you mention Volvo.....? I restored three of them, and had a fourth one as well. And at times I am still eying off an P1800 ES.....

EDIT #2: I can imagine when 10 on a 60ft boat, or 6 on a 42ft boat can be fun, but generally... not.
Old 29-09-2017, 05:57   #52

Hank,

Let me quote myself from that very thread all those years ago....

"Boracay, fitouts are hard work, I agree. But a great fitout on a boat that sails like a tank is a waste of time and energy. And all the topside addons are no substitute for a boat with pleasant sea manners. No, I'm most concerned with the stuff I can not change through my own efforts over time."

As I noted then, there was no fixing a boat that sails like a tank. And the Swanson 42 is anything but. Call me biased, but she's absolutely bullet proof. Look through the remainder of the thread and there's nothing negative about the Swanson, and a lot of generally positive stuff.

So no, I don't plan to sell her and buy something else, because, quite frankly, I am VERY happy with the boat I have. She's 42 feet long, but still a breeze to sail on my own, and has done nothing but build my trust in her over time and distance.

Yep, cabinetry is hard work, and I don't ever attain the level of finish I aspire to, but all the stuff I cannot change about the boat, the impeccable sea manners, the incredibly smooth and quiet ride, the fact that you can practically roller-blade around the deck... well I am never giving those things up.

I have frequently stated here on CF that the interior fitouts of Swansons are pretty bad. Ours is a bit better than most and I still consider it pretty poor.
So it is unlikely that I will REDUCE the resale value of the boat, and, quite frankly, who cares if I do? It cost me less than a new car would have cost someone in my line of work at the time, it has devalued little, if at all, since I bought it (if recent sale prices are anything to go by) and there is not a single boat in the world I'd rather own so I have no intention of selling her.

This has been a very interesting thread. I set out to find the answer to a question, and I got it. The answer was clear, practically everyone here likes the current configuration of a sea berth in that position. Nobody wanted a single seat sofa style chair in that position. Fair enough.

But I don't need an extra sea berth, and the wiser minds pointed out that making the changes modular would address any sale price concerns in the future (inconceivable to me right now).

So I'm going to cherry pick the bits of wisdom as they apply to my needs.

Clever hey? It works for me.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:02   #53

As promised..... some pics...

Height of seat is 20", depth is 19", height of back is 15". Can work out angle if you want.

Two cushions ( front and back ) rather than a single one as that makes access to the wine cellar easier.

Back is simply ply.... secured by barrel bolts as shown..... cushions are secured with industrail strength velcro some of which is due for replacement.

'End assembly' that holds back in place is as shown.

Note how securing point for lee cloth is set back to hold you on the bunk...

Only used as a full width bunk in port... back simply placed as shown alongside settee...

Pics show frd end.... aft end is a lot wider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA070007.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	157278   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA070008.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	157279  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA070012.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	157280   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA070011.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	157281  

Old 07-10-2017, 13:42   #54

Thank you EP. I can see how that works. I note that your seat cushions are bolstered at the front, which is a nice touch and must add to the comfort. Are they and the seat back configuration original from the factory?
Old 07-10-2017, 14:04   #55

Replaced in Oz about 18 years ago. The seat cushions are 1 inch thicker than original and far superior to the originals. The extra inch is why the end cushions appear fractionally higher than the back.

Yes the front bit does look better than plain.
Old 07-10-2017, 14:09   #56

ooooops, missed a bit.... yes design of back is as built....
Old 07-10-2017, 14:16   #57

I have frequently admired the interiors of the Westerly Sealord and have a number of interior photos of them on file for reference and inspiration. Good to see some of the hidden details though I assume you added the insulation?
Old 07-10-2017, 14:19   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hey, El P! Good to see that you survived all the airplanes, trains, taxis, ferries and roller skates on the way to the boat.

Happy sailing, mate!

Jim
Old 07-10-2017, 14:33   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey, El P! Good to see that you survived all the airplanes, trains, taxis, ferries and roller skates on the way to the boat.

Happy sailing, mate!

Jim

It was kind of him to go through all that just to get me a photo.
Old 07-10-2017, 15:17   #60

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
It was kind of him to go through all that just to get me a photo.
El Ping's a prince, that's for sure! A regular on the Comedy Net, just in case you didn't know... except when he's swanning about in Chile, for 40 meters isn't working over that path these days.

Jim

Tags
cabin