Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-09-2016, 16:55   #1

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Cabin door latch/lock

So my companionway is two doors that open to each side and a sliding hatch, at some point it had a sweet door knob latch mechanism like a proper home. This has been removed and I have 2 pad lock hasps. They are ugly and a pita to open in the rain. Anyone know where to fine one that might fit my existing doors? Who makes marine latches?

Old 27-09-2016, 19:23   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Cabin door latch/lock

Try Perko.

http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...s_and_latches/

S/V B'Shert

Old 27-09-2016, 22:16   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Cabin door latch/lock

If you don't want to cut into the door for the mortise, you can get a surface mounted one or one like we have which is inside knob and outside a flat lift bar. I'll try to look up the Mfr tomorrow.

We use a slide bolt type lock on the inside for the sliding part of the companionway.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:07   #4

The doors are cut for a mortise, perko had just what I needed, 325.00 later and I should be all set
Old 28-09-2016, 08:28   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Glad you found what you needed.

S/V B'Shert
Old 28-09-2016, 11:32   #6

Actually I called perko to make sure and they don't have anything that will fit my door. If anyone knows of anywhere else to look....
Old 28-09-2016, 19:09   #7

Try a good residential door hardware store. I had a problem finding replacement for the interior doors in my 1980 sailboat. Nothing online from marine hardware suppliers. Then I went to a local lock and door hardware store to find it was from a storm or screen door. Got exactly the same replacement for about $30. Made by Ideal.
Old 28-09-2016, 20:52   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

The issue will be how thick your door is. The mortise locks made for yacht doors are thinner and smaller than those for house doors in the USA. In the Schooner Chandlery, we can order any Davey product for you, at good price, but they do come dear. They have mortises that may work for you. Take a look at the .pdf catalog we have a link to here on this page and see if any would fit for you--you can send a product inquiry if one looks good to you.

On our boat, we used a surface mounted knob on inside with latch on outside. The outside part has two rings where you can put a padlock through nicely. To lock the inside, we use slide locks into the overhead part of the companionway hatch. I've sent a note to the company who got ours for us to see if they still have access to them. Any knob will fit on the inside but it comes with a plain hollow brass knob and escutcheon.

The benefit is you don't have to put a mortise in the door and if you have an oddly sized mortise, you can just patch it (if it is a wood cored door...) and drill the hole for this lock.

There are rim-mounted door handles and locks but they tend to be a little more costly than the regular mortise locks.

I'll let you know what I hear back from the company about the one pictured.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 21:12   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Try these guys The Brass Works Inc - Brass & Stainless Steel Hardware
Or these guys Fine Brass Hardware by Merit Metal
Or these guys Entry Door Latches & Locks - Southco
Old 29-09-2016, 00:10   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

One option to consider is to add some thickness to your companionway doors in the area where the latch & handle are to be fitted, so that there's plenty of wood to take the mortise for the hardware & still have adequately thick doors once it's fitted. This would make choosing hardware a lot easier than at present. And likely would get your problems solved for far less than $325. As at that figure you might even look into semi-custom hardware.

The other option is to shop around a bit at 2nd hand chandleries. As it's common to find hardware there for pennies on the dollar. And many of them will either assist you with shopping in real time, long distance, via a phone call. Where they'll look through their stocks while talking with you. Sometimes to include adding a video link via computer when several possible hardware options are found. Along with the sales person's measuring it's key dimensions, etc.
Plus some outfits have their inventories computerized as well, including manufacturer's part numbers, sizes, & item quality. Along with pics, & spec's.

Option 3 would be the McGuyver route. Either fixing the old, or cobbling together something.
Which, BTW, is there a way to find out what happened to the current unit to render it unservicable, & or unrepairable? And are you certain as to what the original configuration was? Given that there are usually a number of hardware configurations that will suffice.

To a large degree it's a question of time vs. money (& ingenuity). Plus, like Schooner Chandlery has aluded to, there are multiple hardware options that are more than viable.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: