Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2010, 16:40   #1

Cabin Carpet Material

Can regular house carpet be used in the cabin of my cruiser? It will be glued down. Getting wet is not a concern, or at least the carpet will be the least of my worries if it ever did, and not needing a UV resistant. The carpet store salespeople tell me I need a marine carpet. Not sure if that's true or just uninformed salespeople.

All the marine carpet I find online all are advertised for use that see rain and sun such as in the cockpit.

Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 18:48   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
not a concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
Getting wet is not a concern
It's a boat. Carpet gets wet when people in bathing suits come out of the water, or when people go below in their foulies during a storm.

Marine carpet is generally rubber-backed. That's a good thing.

If nothing else, think of resale. If I walked onto a boat and saw ANYTHING that was not marine grade (wiring, carpeting, paint, et cetera), I'd turn around and walk away.
Old 17-02-2010, 19:16   #3

A boat yes, but treated no different than my home.
The original carpet is foam backed and glued down. The foam backing carpet is hard to find, other than the cheap quality Menards type which I won't install.
When I say not a concern, that is because it will not get wet. We boat on a small lake and have a covered slip. If it looks like rain, we don't leave the slip. When done swimming, we dry off before going down below. Boat only gets wet on teh outside when it gets washed. Just a different type of boating than most on here from what I can see.
Back to my question, a lot of my friends have houseboats that have your normal looking carpet. The marine grade selection, from what I am finding, is very limited and nothing like I see in other cabin cruisers. Hence why I thought that regular household carpet was used down below, just not sure if it is.

Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin