Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 13:15   #16

Boat: Union 36
Re: Buying a boat that had "full osmosis peel" by the previous owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
It would be extremely likely for blisters to return after a full peel and re-encapsulation except if the boat was for example a Valiant from the "blister era" where the blisters are the result of the materials used and not osmosis.
Should read “....extremely UNlikely for blisters to return....”
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:31   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The problem may be when you come to sell it. Given a choice of boats a future buyer of your boat may choose to buy a similar model that doesn't have obvious signs of osmosis.

Pete
I would far rather buy a boat that had been professionally peeled and rebuilt than a sister ship that showed no sign of blisters.

The hull of my boat showed no signs whatsoever when out of the water in 2007 (23 years old )..... next time out of the water in 2009 she was absolutely jumping with them..... so I took her to NZ...

Osmosis Solutions

A bodgy job will render the boat worthless.... a proper job will enhance her value.

I had a look at the Fulmar that we are talking about... she now has coppercoat?.. I see they also dropped the keel.....

I imagine the Fulmar keel is not disimilar to a Sealord one.... these are some of the 30 year old keel bolts....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2563.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	161569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	161570  

Old 04-01-2018, 14:21   #18

Yes, the owner also mentioned copper coat. It's a bilge keel Fulmar.
Old 04-01-2018, 15:17   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Whether a peel and epoxy job will last is entirely dependent on how dry the laminate was prior to re-coating. I have seen many failed jobs including one boat that was re-done 3 times over about six years.

I don't know of any yard in Ontario that will offer a written guarantee although Steve D'antonio says that he did and never had a failure.

If you find a surveyor that says he can determine this with thermal imaging or moisture meter .... well, just try to get a written guarantee from him.
Old 04-01-2018, 15:56   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FYI, have a look at this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ow-195563.html

It is about someone who discovered blisters and found a previous peel job, and the responses to what he found. There is a video of the hull, after his peel.

Ann
Old 04-01-2018, 17:17   #21

Boat: Vancouver 27

As others said, it really depends. I had mine professionally peeled and took it over from there. I'm sure some owners do a lackluster job but others that go way over the top. If it's a boat the previous owner intended to rely on or had big plans for with a reasonable level of competence, theres a pretty good chance s/he did a reasonable job. There should at least be pictures to document all the misery the owner was going thru at that point in time.

In my case, I let the hull dry for 6 months in the southern sun and then laid up kevlar on the leading edge covered by biaxial cloth before epoxying the crap out of it and then fairing it with a longboard.

To be sure, no one that wasn't the owner of the boat and/or had done this at least once before would have been dumb enough to carry thru with this kind of plan.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 17:40   #22

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Good Grief...just get a wood boat. If a plank rots you just remove it.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 18:45   #23

Sorry for thread drift, but the best advice I have heard is if the blisters are shallow and not indicating hull failure by delamination, ignore them. For most cases, it only is an issue when you sell the boat.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 21:28   #24

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Buoy View Post
Sorry for thread drift, but the best advice I have heard is if the blisters are shallow and not indicating hull failure by delamination, ignore them. For most cases, it only is an issue when you sell the boat.
I have seen so many people get bent out of shape because their boat - or the boat they are looking to buy - has gelcoat pimples.

Osmosis blisters are a different animal and you have two choices..... give your boat away - or - spend $$$$ fixing it properly and keep on sailing.

If you fix it properly and immediately sell your boat then the odds are you will end up worse off financialy than if you had gone with plan A...

The fact that the vendor of the boat in question has been up front in mentioning it suggests to me that it has been done properly ... a dodgy seller would have just slapped on a bit of car bog and said nothing.....

Blisters? These are blisters... >>>>>>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.JPG.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	161588  

Tags
boat, buying, osmosis