Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 16:27   #1

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Butyl rubber in a tube?

Haven't seen this before, or recall it having been mentioned on the forum.

Anyone with experience or opinions?

Considering using it on stanchion bases, sealing mast boot, etc.

My stanchion bases appear to have an original pad of some type under them. I think it's time I had a good looksee, though no known issues are apparent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21228-20160317_190919-752147303.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	120919   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21228-20160317_190953-602608076.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	120920  

Old 17-03-2016, 17:13   #2

Re: Burly rubber in a tube?

I guess my phone doesn't know butyl is a word. I swear I double checked my spelling, but I hadn't hit the spacebar yet. And my phone outsmarted me.

Maybe a mod could fix that for me?
Old 22-03-2016, 07:29   #3

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Butyl rubber in a tube?

I have used a product for rubber roofing that is known as "water cutoff_ mastic.. Butyl rubber; like rope caulks so loved here; but in a thin, caulking gun version. The more pressure on the seam, the better the seal. I use it for applications where more solid tape would not be easy/advisable. I did my chain plate penetrations and plate covers last season; still fine, with only a bit of squeeze-out. Less than tape. Also ran a small bead around slightly gappy port trims. Forced in w/finger and wiped clean with mineral spirits. Still leak free after two seasons. Quick fix I know; but until I R&R units, all good !

I have looked at products similar to that shown; but didn't believe they were same as WCM used on roof, so did;t grab any.
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 08:26   #4

Boat: Cornado 25

Butyl Rubber Sealant or caulk is an excellent exterior sealant. Good "wetting" properties, very high modulus of elasticity, and bonds well to fiberglass, steels, aluminum, neoprene, and most glazing materials. More difficult to apply than Butyl Tape, but better choice where inadequate pressures are available to bond tape materials. Called "bubble gum" for a reason. Smooth with a finger wet with saliva (trust me) Clean up with mineral spirits before it cures. After cure tough to remove at all. (includes fingers, but it will wear off in a few days) Keep tubes at 75 degrees in cool weather or you will have forearms like Popeye. Usually available in Black White or Grey. Spend the extra on a "pro" brand like Tremco rather than te big box store brands.

Messy but very effective
Old 22-03-2016, 09:00   #5

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I use one that is meant for flashing on siding doors and windows for a house. Works a treat and have never had a leak when using it. I've been on to it for about 5 years now and usually pipe up when people ask where to get the tape. Some don't like it as it can get a little messy being thinner. However same with the rope for cleanup, a rag an mineral spirits sets all right with the world. It's great to pay $3.60 for an entire tube instead of $25 for a 50yd roll of the rope. I bet the tubes come out way cheaper per foot, what do you think?

Also just a not don't use around fuel fittings or anywhere likely to get soaked in solvents regularly, it won't hold up. I have used it below the waterline in a pinch to seal up a leaky thru hull fitting until I could get to haul out at the end of the year. I'd spun it while trying to get the hose on it... Turns out it wasn't on that tight!
Old 22-03-2016, 10:04   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Haven't seen this before, or recall it having been mentioned on the forum.

Anyone with experience or opinions?

Considering using it on stanchion bases, sealing mast boot, etc.

My stanchion bases appear to have an original pad of some type under them. I think it's time I had a good looksee, though no known issues are apparent.
To get butyl to be dispensible from a tube tou need to change it's properties significantly.

I haven't used the product you show. To assess its equivalence, or not, to good ole butyl tape I would start with the CAS number.

Butyl does creep a lot, attracts grit and has poor resistance to numerous solvents. It's very well suited to encapsulated joints with relative movement. Note encapsulation is key. Straight flange joints are not good applications for butyl.

I'd expect the butyl in a tube to be more creep stable and to skin much better than butyl.

If your stanchion bases are properly supported i would use a flange seal. Using perhaps buna N, or a composite elastomer gasket.

I might use butyl within the through bolt joint. Butyl applied very thin is useless. This requires countersinking the through holes at the interface.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:11   #7

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Haven't come across any butyl tape in my travels yet. Where I am now the Ace store is right next to West Marine so decided to pop in for a look and came across this. I thought well, it's butyl and only four bucks. And money is always an issue for me.

Looked up the tremco product which appears to be butyl and polyisobutelene. The Ace product is butyl, calcium carbonate, petroleum distillate, and titanium dioxide.

My guess is the tremco product pdf didn't list all ingredients and polyisobutelene is a petroleum distillate. Leaving the titanium and calcium as coloring additives. Just guessing.

Both products list the same federal standards compliance. And the usage and characteristics compare.

So gonna give it a try. After some rebedding and sealing, next comes a polish and wax of the deck. Then, after watching my grey teak waste away for two years each time I washed it, a few coats of varnish. Certainly wish the previous owners had not aggressively sanded the toe rail down to the screw heads in many places.

Got nothing but time, just need more ambition.
Old 22-03-2016, 10:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Haven't come across any butyl tape in my travels yet. Where I am now the Ace store is right next to West Marine so decided to pop in for a look and came across this. I thought well, it's butyl and only four bucks. And money is always an issue for me.
***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Very good material. If you read the text, he did his homework and research to find a superior product. Not all butyl is the same. I have been using it for many years now.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:26   #9

Thanks leftb, don't see a CAS number on the tube.

The bases curently have an original base flange now, though they appear brittle on the exposed edges.

I have considered adding a washer under the bases on each bolt to add a gap under the base for the butyl. Also intend to cut new thicker backing plates for under deck.

Living at anchor with no access to online mail ordering limits my ability to aquire the perfect solution.