Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:46   #1

Bulkhead Separation - Cal 2-27

Hi. I am new to the list and am excited to be on this forum. I have an opportunity to purchase a Cal 2-27. It needs tender loving care but on my inspection, I noticed a separation, on the starboard side of the cabin and the hull. The starboard bulk head has gone soft. I am guessing the pressure from the mast stay has caused the damage. (soft bulkhead) I am going to remove the bulkhead to get to the separation. My question is how to repair the separation. Can I run epoxy in the separation and then glass it on the inside with stripes of fiberglass and resin?
There is also a cut out in the lower part of the bulkhead for leg room. I noticed this on other photos of Cal 2-27's. It seems to me this will make the bulkhead week.
Thank you. I have been sailing all over the place for over 50 years.
Dewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:38   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Bulkhead Separation? Cal 2-27

Welcome aboard:-)

Might try posting in the construction section. Cals are fantastic boats, have fun when ya get to sail her.
Mrs. Rain Dog
Old 12-09-2011, 15:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Bulkhead Separation? Cal 2-27

A description of the Cal 2-27 can be found here.

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:24   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Buy Don Casey's book This Old Boat he is very good about going thru repairs.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:42   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

If I understand your bulkhead problem: The Bulkhead is rotted where one or more chainplates is attached and the Bulkhead is also pulling away from the hull..possibly causing a dimpling in the hull?

You may need to pull the mast..if this condition exists on the entire starboard side..?
You'll need to pull the chainplate, knock out the old bulkhead..( if you can get the old out someone intact..you can use it as a template for the new one)

grind down the old fiberglass tabbing...make new bulkead..and tab it in.
I'd dry fit it 1st and make sure it's aligned properly with the chainplate..slid in.

There's lots of tricks and tips..to doing this.. for example: drilling oversize holes for the chainplate bolts..and then filling them with epoxy and re-drilling to proper size..so that there's no edges exposed to moisture.

I forget if Casey has a step by step...but this could be a pretty big job..if the condition is typical throughout all the chainplate knees/bulkheads..

The other thing you would want to determine is why..this occured..usually leaks..through the chainplates or elsewhere

If I didn't understand your problem correctly, I apologize for my assumptions.
Old 13-09-2011, 05:22   #6

Thank you Tempest
Very good advise. Especially about the bolts. I also will use bolts with just enough thread on the end. From the inside of the boat, I noticed a separation of the hull and the top deck. It is about six feet long on the starboard side. I am sure this is because of pressure on the deck from the mast do to a soft bulkhead. After I remove the bulkhead and clean everything up, I want to reseal the separation. I have been away from boats for a few years and know that new products are coming out all the time. What product should I use to seal and secure the deck to the hull?
I also will take the mast down and increase the size of all the cable. The boat was given to me so I have a lot of room money wise to work with. I understand this boat is a nice boat on the water.
Old 13-09-2011, 06:03   #7

Thank you Charlie.
I ordered the book through ABEBooks on the internet. Great site for old and used books. Paid $8.00. Thanks again.

Tags
cal