Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 10:17   #1
Registered User
 
sv satoshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: Building a Wharram Tiki 38
Posts: 38
Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

My name is Marcel. I'm building a Wharram design Tiki 38 catamaran. The Tiki 38 is capable of longer voyages and ocean crossings and that is also what I am going to do when I have finished building it. I see myself living modestly on a beautiful sailboat that I have built with my own hands and know inside out.

Building SV Satoshi
Website: Building SV Satoshi is creating a Wharram Tiki 38 double canoe | Patreon
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/svsatoshi
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/svsatoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SVsatoshi
__________________

__________________
svsatoshi.com
sv satoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27   #2
Registered User
 
sv satoshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: Building a Wharram Tiki 38
Posts: 38
2017-09-30 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

YouTube link: https://youtu.be/fM55T-4ToP4

In this video I unpack some tools and epoxy materials. I cleaned the workplace floor, because after several days it is needed, you can't really see it on the video, but there is some sand, dust, twigs and parts of leaves on the floor. After that I continued drawing the backbone lines. For me it's a very slow process, because it's all new for me and I want to get it right. In the process of drawing I discovered that one of my station lines was off 10mm. I have redrawn this station line and checked and measured everything again. All the lines are drawn except for the curved lines for which I need to nail down a batten. I will do this next time and then proceed with drawing the lines again on sheets of hardboard.

Building SV Satoshi
Website: Building SV Satoshi is creating a Wharram Tiki 38 double canoe | Patreon
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/svsatoshi
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/svsatoshi/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SVsatoshi
Music : Little Tomcat by Josh Woodward
__________________

__________________
svsatoshi.com
sv satoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:05   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,318
Images: 75
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

welcome,do you have a youtube channel you would like to share ?

and where are you located?
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:32   #4
Registered User
 
sv satoshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: Building a Wharram Tiki 38
Posts: 38
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
welcome,do you have a youtube channel you would like to share ?

and where are you located?
Hello Atoll,
Thank you for your reply. I am located in Belgium. I just recently started the build of my Wharram Tiki 38. I will post a message in this thread each time I add a new video on YouTube. I will also try to answer questions regarding my build and most likely on this forum ask a lot of questions about many different things that I encounter while building my Wharram Tiki 38.
__________________
svsatoshi.com
sv satoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 13:08   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,318
Images: 75
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv satoshi View Post
Hello Atoll,
Thank you for your reply. I am located in Belgium. I just recently started the build of my Wharram Tiki 38. I will post a message in this thread each time I add a new video on YouTube. I will also try to answer questions regarding my build and most likely on this forum ask a lot of questions about many different things that I encounter while building my Wharram Tiki 38.
you are very welcome!Cruisers Forum is a great online resource for builders and sailors.

please post a link if you have content on youtube,many will find it interesting here.

i am currently building a prout catamaran,see link Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

i am also a regular visitor at the Wharrams,who live not far from me in cornwall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	291176_10150817087565437_1966139381_o.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	157009  
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 14:25   #6
Registered User
 
sv satoshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: Building a Wharram Tiki 38
Posts: 38
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you are very welcome!Cruisers Forum is a great online resource for builders and sailors.

please post a link if you have content on youtube,many will find it interesting here.

i am currently building a prout catamaran,see link Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

i am also a regular visitor at the Wharrams,who live not far from me in cornwall.

Wow, nice picture of you visiting the Wharrams

I am now reading up on your project and subscribed to the thread.
__________________
svsatoshi.com
sv satoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:44   #7
Registered User
 
Scaramanga F25's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 477
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Wharram's having no solid bridge deck, as few others, makes them the safest.
__________________
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:01   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Boat: Leopard 39
Posts: 401
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

A fascinating and proven design. Best of luck with it!
__________________
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 13:14   #9
Registered User
 
sv satoshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: Building a Wharram Tiki 38
Posts: 38
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Wharram's having no solid bridge deck, as few others, makes them the safest.
Hello Scaramanga, I do not have expert knowledge, but I also feel so, one of the reasons why I chose for building a Wharram Tiki 38. Thank you for your reply.
__________________
svsatoshi.com
sv satoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 13:15   #10
Registered User
 
sv satoshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: Building a Wharram Tiki 38
Posts: 38
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
A fascinating and proven design. Best of luck with it!
Thank you very much Danielmartindm
__________________
svsatoshi.com
sv satoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 13:22   #11
Registered User
 
sv satoshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: Building a Wharram Tiki 38
Posts: 38
2017-10-02 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

YouTube link: https://youtu.be/gjn3_PgDBpI

In this video I nailed down pieces of hardboard on the lofting floor and drew the same lines again. Oregon pine wood was delivered and the neighbour came to visit with 3 little girls to look at my project. I gave them an explanation and told them that they are always welcome to visit and see the progress of the build. I also followed the advice of Ricardo who commented to my video on the Wharram Builders and Friends forum that I should buy some knee protection. I bought a high quality pair of trousers which has special pockets for knee pads. It was well spent, because today I did a lot of drawing on my knees and there will be much more to come.

Building SV Satoshi
Website: Building SV Satoshi is creating a Wharram Tiki 38 double canoe | Patreon
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/svsatoshi
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/svsatoshi/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SVsatoshi
Music : Branches by Josh Woodward
__________________
svsatoshi.com
sv satoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 14:03   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,318
Images: 75
Re: 2017-10-02 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv satoshi View Post
YouTube link: https://youtu.be/gjn3_PgDBpI

In this video I nailed down pieces of hardboard on the lofting floor and drew the same lines again. Oregon pine wood was delivered and the neighbour came to visit with 3 little girls to look at my project. I gave them an explanation and told them that they are always welcome to visit and see the progress of the build. I also followed the advice of Ricardo who commented to my video on the Wharram Builders and Friends forum that I should buy some knee protection. I bought a high quality pair of trousers which has special pockets for knee pads. It was well spent, because today I did a lot of drawing on my knees and there will be much more to come.

Building SV Satoshi
Website: Building SV Satoshi is creating a Wharram Tiki 38 double canoe | Patreon
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/svsatoshi
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/svsatoshi/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SVsatoshi
Music : Branches by Josh Woodward
thanks for sharing!
can i reccomend that you also at this early stage cover the floor in your workshop with cardboard and a layer of plastic sheeting before you start using resin,this will make cleanup after the build a lot easier..and keep landlords a lot happier that their floor is not getting damaged by spilled resin that can be difficult to remove.

also an extracter fan will cut down on dust once you start cutting.
numerous over head power sockets from an extention cable will also make life easier,and go some way to keep the floor clear of clutter
you should also build 8-10 80-90 cm high, trestles to use as table supports and for raised platforms once you start assembling the boards make them light as possible as they will get moved many,many times.

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:37   #13
Registered User
 
sv satoshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Boat: Building a Wharram Tiki 38
Posts: 38
Re: 2017-10-02 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for sharing!
can i reccomend that you also at this early stage cover the floor in your workshop with cardboard and a layer of plastic sheeting before you start using resin,this will make cleanup after the build a lot easier..and keep landlords a lot happier that their floor is not getting damaged by spilled resin that can be difficult to remove.

also an extracter fan will cut down on dust once you start cutting.
numerous over head power sockets from an extention cable will also make life easier,and go some way to keep the floor clear of clutter
you should also build 8-10 80-90 cm high, trestles to use as table supports and for raised platforms once you start assembling the boards make them light as possible as they will get moved many,many times.


Hello Atoll,
Thank you for your advice.
- cover the floor of the workshop
- extracter fan
- over head power sockets
- light trestles
I am very happy to get advice like this, because I am really a novice, but want to build efficient and to highest quality standards.
Really appreciate your comment, thank you
Marcel
__________________
svsatoshi.com
sv satoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 19:11   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,318
Images: 75
Re: 2017-10-02 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv satoshi View Post
Hello Atoll,
Thank you for your advice.
- cover the floor of the workshop
- extracter fan
- over head power sockets
- light trestles
I am very happy to get advice like this, because I am really a novice, but want to build efficient and to highest quality standards.
Really appreciate your comment, thank you
Marcel
i meant to also mention that good lights are also important,i have found that LED work lights are very useful,as they give a very powerful light,do not break if moved around and do not create heat or fire hazard,also low wattage so cheap to run than normal filament bulbs.

i found the best source for polythene plastic sheeting are agricultural suppliers/farm shops,as the sheeting is used for greenhouses etc,comes in up to 12m wide x 25-50m rolls,and not expensive.

a good quality "track" circular saw,is indispensible if you do not have a full sized table saw,for cutting up plywood.

a router with a "bearing" moulding bit is useful for making exact copies from templates .

a router with a flexible guide for cutting out curves from plans is easier to use than a jigsaw,and gives a more even cut.

rolls of fiberglass cloth exposed to cold,damp conditions very quickly absorb moisture and become unusable,i have found that" in use on a roller" 25kg rolls kept in a cupboard with a 20-40w incandesent bulb lit 24/7 keeps them dry .

keep all recipts for power tools,so you can take them back and replace under guarentee when they break down after 3 months if bought from superstores!

always wear a dust mask when cutting or grinding any material if you want to live a long life.............
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 19:36   #15
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,875
Re: 2017-10-02 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Don't buy boat stuff before you are ready to install.... Pumps, electronics, even electrical switches. I can't believe the amount of stuff I've purchased, sat aside in boxes until I needed them, and found to be defective once installed. Of course, this was after the warranty was out of date


Matt
__________________

__________________
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wharram

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on Improving Wharram Tiki 38 bodhi02 Multihull Sailboats 55 21-06-2016 02:45
Drawbacks of Wharram Tiki or Pahi for Extended South Pacific Cruising Arikauai Multihull Sailboats 49 19-04-2012 16:32
Want to Purchase Wharram Pahi 42 to 52 or Tiki of Similar Size vuilbaard Dollars & Cents 4 20-09-2011 20:23
Wharram Tiki 30 Gettin It boatsmith Multihull Sailboats 0 18-04-2011 14:50
For Sale: Wharram TIKI 46 Sailing Catamaran obertrauser Classifieds Archive 5 28-12-2010 07:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.