Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2015, 00:58   #1

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Building/refitting a Oyster mariner 35

Hi everyone

I bought an Oyster mariner 35 from 1979, together with my mom. The boat has never sailed, we bought the boat at an online auction. We had a chance to see the hull, but in the auction pictures, there was a lot of boxes, which was unopened and with no future detail.
The previous owner never finished the boat, and had many half-finished projects going on. In addition, she looked like a real mess when we saw her, water leaked inside a numbers of places. All wood inside was rotten, a few places the core material in the deck was soaked in water.
But.. We bought her. (Love at first sight?)

We mailed the Oyster yacht, which told us, it was originally sold as DIY kit with engine, sails and other equipment. Most is still in good condition, the engine and sails looks like new. Most of the other equipment is rather outdated and still has the original packing and labels from 79.

Here is a few Pictures from the outside, the day we first saw her.

We have worked hard on her the last 2 months, and she have now been cleaned. Most interior wood have been removed, including six of the eight bulkheads.

We are currently working on making her water tight, installing new hatches and doing some fiberglass work.
We have made new bulkheads there are ready to be installed, but I am currently working on my school project and cannot work on the boat the next 4 weeks.

Do any of u cruisers know or have experience with the Oyster 35?
Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 01:01   #2

Pictures of her now

Here is some current Pictures

Old 08-08-2015, 05:46   #3

Re: Building/refitting a Oyster mariner 35

When we were grinding down the fiberglass in the front cabin, so we would apply topcoat to the bottom, I accidently hit the foam reinforcement and water came out.

So i made some holes along the foam reinforment, to see where the water was. Luckly the water is only in the front cabin, due to the glue between the foam. The glue stopped the water from getting furthure.

I removed all the foam reinforment and grinded off the old fiber glass
(that was a pretty messy job)

And then we startet gluing new foam stringers onto the hull.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:40   #4

Looks like fun. Keep updating on your progress.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:50   #5
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Nice project. Looks itchy. I can't wait for the updates! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, where are you located?
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Hopefully you're using epoxy resin and not polyester (it doesn't stick well). If you haven't already turned the engine over you should. 30+ years is a long time for an engine to sit. You don't say what engine brand, but if you can easily pull the injectors, you might squirt a little light oil or diesel in the cylinders. If they're stuck it might help free them up and if they're free, it will lube them until your ready to use it.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:03   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

It's good to see someone like you willing to put the time and effort into a boat. I'm sure your efforts will result in a lovely boat you will be proud of and that you will know inside out.

I will look for your future posts.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:16   #8

Boat: Vancouver 27

Looks like awesome work so far! Are you going to longboard the bottom as well?

fiberglast.com is a great source for cloth and glassing materials.

McMaster Carr has just about everything else.

All the best!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 15:45   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomsen View Post
Hi everyone

I bought an Oyster mariner 35 from 1979, together with my mom. The boat has never sailed, we bought the boat at an online auction. We had a chance to see the hull, but in the auction pictures, there was a lot of boxes, which was unopened and with no future detail.
The previous owner never finished the boat, and had many half-finished projects going on. In addition, she looked like a real mess when we saw her, water leaked inside a numbers of places. All wood inside was rotten, a few places the core material in the deck was soaked in water.
But.. We bought her. (Love at first sight?)

We mailed the Oyster yacht, which told us, it was originally sold as DIY kit with engine, sails and other equipment. Most is still in good condition, the engine and sails looks like new. Most of the other equipment is rather outdated and still has the original packing and labels from 79.

We have worked hard on her the last 2 months, and she have now been cleaned. Most interior wood have been removed, including six of the eight bulkheads.

We are currently working on making her water tight, installing new hatches and doing some fiberglass work.
We have made new bulkheads there are ready to be installed, but I am currently working on my school project and cannot work on the boat the next 4 weeks.

Do any of u cruisers know or have experience with the Oyster 35?
I've built 2 Steel boats from scratch and did what you're doing to one 34' F/G sailboat. My current Hallberg Rassy 35 I did a total rebuild. I say this because I'm sure by now your friends and passer-by's are calling you crazy. I can tell you that you will become part of the boat and be intimately familiar with it.
I wish you the best of luck on your journey. Where about are you from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Hopefully you're using epoxy resin and not polyester (it doesn't stick well).
Glad you mentioned this. I was berated in another thread by a "professional" for stating the same. Epoxy is way more sticky and at least twice as strong.
I would also add to hot coat the wood first, then laminate.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 19:54   #10

Thanks for the reply, I will try to update when I can.
It is a great project, and im defently getting more and more familier with all the process involved in the building process. But there is still alot of things I need to learn along the way.
I'm located in Denmark, thats in the northeren europe.

I did use polyester to glue the form onto the hull, but i got a pretty good attachment. I use something called thixotropic to thicken the polyester abit. I know epoxy is way stronger then polyester, but for this purpose it should be okay. (I think)

I havent got a picture with all the foam in place, but this was the first foam i glued onto the hull.

The engine is a volvo penta MD11C with a 110 saildrive, im lucky that my uncle is a teacher on a mechanical school. So the engine is going to be a project for a graduating class, where they will make it shine again.

Quote:
Looks like awesome work so far! Are you going to longboard the bottom as well?
Thanks! I got no clue what that means, when i try to google it, it comes up with skateboards Could u explain what it is?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:09   #11

Boat: Vancouver 27

Apparently it also goes by "torture board". Basically a massive sanding block that you use to fair the hull to maximize hydrodynamics. I did my 27" last year and it was a miserably worthwhile experience. Talk about sweat equity!

If you search for minaret's refit thread he goes into great detail on a lot of this stuff. His posts definitely helped me out a lot as I was doing my project.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:07   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

I too think it will be epoxy not poly over those stringers. The original bond was chemical, now (I think, and may be wrong) you will rely on mechanical properties of the bond (?)

You will probably find exact science on the above easily on the web.

Great project, itchy as someone noted ;-) PLS keep us updated!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 13:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I too think it will be epoxy not poly over those stringers. The original bond was chemical, now (I think, and may be wrong) you will rely on mechanical properties of the bond (?)

You will probably find exact science on the above easily on the web.

Great project, itchy as someone noted ;-) PLS keep us updated!

b.
Hot bonding of polyester is necessary because yes it creates a chemical not just mechanical bond. Epoxy however has much higher adhesive properties so it doesn't have to chemically interlink, just the mechanical bond is enough.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster, oyster 35, oyster mariner, oyster35, refit