Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-04-2016, 08:43   #1

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck
Building my own Swim Platform-new product

I have been looking for a new swim platform for my new to me boat. Needless to say, not much out there standard for a 12.5' by 3' platform.
Here is what the old one looked like when I took it off.

The product I am going to use is call moistureshield. It is composite product designed to be installed under water. Here is a link to the product. I have no connection with the company.

MoistureShield Composite Decking, Railing | Lifetime Warranty

Here is that sold me on the idea. They show (at the end) the decking going into a pond under the water.

http://www.moistureshield.com/videos...erformance.mp4

So, i spent $700 on material. I am ripping the deck boards down and turning them on edge. I get two usable boards out of each deck board.
Here is the color I chose. It is the walnut, but looks to me like weathered teak.

Here is a picture of the mock up I am doing before I epoxy the boards and screw with stainless screws.

Here is the intended finished look:

BTW, I did get in writing that ripping the boards and using them for my application does not void the warranty. The company said you could submerge this product for 25 years in water and it would look the same when you brought it up(minus anything growing on it).

I would love to get some thoughts and feedback on if I am crazy or not.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23   #2

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Building my own Swim Platform-new product

Umm...

Don't want to rain on the parade; but...
Same old recycled decking from sawdust and recycled milk jugs as before. Useful for back porch decks and stair treads; but IMHO NOT suitable for your application.....but; I sure hope it works out for you !
This sort of product has no load bearing properties for structural use, has a huge expansion coefficient over it's length and there is yet to be an found an adhesive that will bond it to itself or other materials successfully. It is quite heavy, too.. Looks like you have near to 200 pounds of decking there on assembly table???

I have installed (and removed!) literally thousands and thousands of B..F.. of this sort of residential decking and trims . As much as I'd love to have a synthetic teak replacement; I would not use it in this application.
I *do* wish you the best and hope it wrks out for you

Old 01-04-2016, 10:43   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

I also think that there is no product that will glue these together, including epoxy. This type of recycled product are is notoriously hard to glue. You might have to affix each plank to the next with screws.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

My biggest concern is that most of these composite materials have zero structural strength and rely entirely on a frame underneath to keep them from sagging.Add in the bonding issues as mentioned, and I would be very concerned that you have spend a good bit of time and money building a very well done swim platform that will sag and fall apart in short order.

I would point out that the manufacturer does not recommend this product for any structural purpose, and mandates no more than 16" on center for support beams for decking. Here the loads are higher...

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think this is the wrong material.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:41   #5

I looked at the structural aspect and experimented with the product on end as I am applying it. The 16" on center is for the materiel applied flat and not on end. I believe this is similar in material as the Plasteak.

I will agree that the platform will be heavy, but the waterlogged platform that came off took three grown men.

I also found an adhesive that will bond starboard and I will be screwing with stainless screws as well as bonding.

I am not worried about the material itself. It has a lifetime warranty that I got in writing stating that it will not rot or de-laminate even under water.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Stay tuned. It's only $700 and a weekend, right?
Old 01-04-2016, 22:47   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I'd have probably gone with 3/4" Coosaboard, glass, and polyester resin for about the same money, and a substantial weight savings but with proper support you'll be fine, say 5 or 6 brackets along the lines of those shown in the picture below. The (faux) wood look is nicer though.

I'd also be interested to know what glue you've found that works with polyethylene, everything I've ever tried has never lasted long. Reliance on mechanical fastenings seems best, I'd save money by not spending it on epoxy for this application.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	121871  
Old 02-04-2016, 01:03   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Building my own Swim Platform-new product

Fasteners. I don't know if you have the height for it but if it were wood, thru bolted rods (drifts) would do the trick. Drill the holes and stack the layers put on the nuts countersunk and plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“... It is preferable to mechanically fasten or weld King StarBoard®, but when an adhesive is necessary you can use a product called Lord 7542-AB or 3M’s Scotch-Weld DP-8005 ...”
More (flame treatment) ➥ USING ADHESIVE WITH KING STARBOARD® | King Plastic Corporation

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:04   #9

Here is the adhesive. It will move with the expansion/contraction.

I am also using 2-1/2" stainless screws so I an going through 2.5 boards with each one.

I am ripping the boards to just under 2" tall when on side.
Weight will be the biggest factor.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
I'd have probably gone with 3/4" Coosaboard, glass, and polyester resin for about the same money, and a substantial weight savings but with proper support you'll be fine, say 5 or 6 brackets along the lines of those shown in the picture below. The (faux) wood look is nicer though.

I'd also be interested to know what glue you've found that works with polyethylene, everything I've ever tried has never lasted long. Reliance on mechanical fastenings seems best, I'd save money by not spending it on epoxy for this application.
There are five existing supports like your picture, but in stainless and bolted through the transom. I am going up there to work on it. I'll see if I can get some pics.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:56   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

I have worked with a lot of this synthetic decking. It can be glued together with West Systems epoxy with 404 filler. The board will break before the bond.

The down fall to the board is it shrinks in extreme sun. Your SS screws should be a 316L grade or they'll bleed. And the board is brittle. Putting screws thru narrow pieces will crack it. It'll need to be pre drilled especially if close to the ends.

Also it will only bend so far before it snaps. Do some experiments first to see its limitations.

And cutting the stuff, you'll need metal cutting jigsaw blades or carbide tipped bandsaw blades. It's a recycled composite, and some of the ingredients are metal.

See my blog "sealing hull to deck joint"

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 14:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I have worked with a lot of this synthetic decking. It can be glued together with West Systems epoxy with 404 filler. The board will break before the bond.

The down fall to the board is it shrinks in extreme sun. Your SS screws should be a 316L grade or they'll bleed. And the board is brittle. Putting screws thru narrow pieces will crack it. It'll need to be pre drilled especially if close to the ends.

Also it will only bend so far before it snaps. Do some experiments first to see its limitations.

And cutting the stuff, you'll need metal cutting jigsaw blades or carbide tipped bandsaw blades. It's a recycled composite, and some of the ingredients are metal.

See my blog "sealing hull to deck joint"
I did do some experimentation with the bending and found that with judicial application of heat (I used a propane heater and a heat gun) I was able to bend the 5/8 material around the ends. I like the way it ended up. We'll see how it holds up over time. It was also surprisingly lighter than I thought. My nieghbor and I were able to pick it up and load it it transport it to the boat.

I got a little close with the heat gun, but it sanded right off.
Old 10-04-2016, 20:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice job! It is mostly wood fiber so it sands like wood but will burden the grit. Mine was coated with FG and epoxy so I'm not sure how a sanded surface will hold up to the weather. But I'm thinking a thinned out coat of exterior epoxy on the raw surfaces might help keep the fuzziness away. Your choice.

Old 10-04-2016, 20:22   #14

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

One of my boatyard neighbors just had the same thing made for their newport 30. Looks nice (identical to yours) and I'm sure a lot more than $700 bucks.

Matt
Old 11-04-2016, 07:20   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

Correction!
I meant to say metal cutting jigsaw AND bandsaw blades, or carbide tipped radial saw blades.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: