Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2009, 23:37   #1

Boat: Cal 34
Building an Outboard Bracket

Alright,

After slagging my diesel the other day

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ine-34122.html

I've decided the only way I'll be able to use the boat for the next 12 months while I save money for a repower is to build an outboard bracket.

I understand that a Cal 34 isn't an ideal boat for an outboard, but hopefully, it will get me out of the marina and I can actually use the boat for the rest of the year and it wouldn't be terrible to have a backup in the future.

Someone mentioned in the previous thread that it would be "easy".

How do I go about it? Presumably some sort of tubular steel is required. Is there some sort of frame that can be found in the right proportions or should I find someone to weld together a bunch of steel?

I'd imagine bolting it to the back of the boat is the only solid solution to attaching it. I'm shy about boring holes in the hull down near the water line, obviously. Maybe I should try to glass in a block of wood and bolt it all into that?

How do other people handle the construction of an outboard mounting bracket?
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 00:47   #2

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
Save your time and effort.You should be able to buy one ready made.Most trailer sailors here have standard brackets avail from most marine supply shops
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 00:57   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience
Check ebay some listed there,need to determine engine size.One for 20 hp for around $150. unless you weld doubt you can have fabed for that.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 01:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Go have a look around your marina. I am with the buy one crowd. Not sure what your transom loooks like but a good mount can be raised and lowered and if properly installed you can raise the engine up for sailing.

You are gonna have this for a year so invest in it and then you should be able to recoup some of the cost at the end by selling it.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 03:04   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I built one for my prior boat that hung a 9.9 yam 4 stroke. Used 4 pieces of angle, two pieces of 1"x2 1/2" boxed rectangular metal, a couple pieces of 1 1/2" strap. All aluminum. The angles were bolted to the transom and some plywood laminated to bolt motor on. The boxed pieces bolted between angled pieces so they can pivot up and down and the strap bolted to boxed at diagonal w/ possible extra holes for adjustment up and down. I found I just tipped up the motor and never used bracket adjustment. The only tools(power) needed were circular saw with carbide teeth and drill. Metal was all second hand from salvage yard. It lasted for many thousands of miles and was still in service when I sold the boat.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard