Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2019, 08:48   #46

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Building a solid dodger

I build a hard dodger with marine plywood and fiberglass. The process is outlined in the last post of my blog (click on my signature line). I basically bent 1/4 inch ply over an arched wooden frame, cut the shape I wanted, then glassed it. My boat already had a hard windscreen, so I matched that and the arch of the cabin top.
Old 27-04-2019, 09:38   #47

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
Not a solid dodger... xcuse to barge in:
I have a great soft dodger with window but no SS tubing/framing.
Who knows where to get that framing for a Catalina 27 around Chesapeake Bay?
Thanks
Sorry for the interruption.
Try Rock Hall Canvas, Rock Hall md. Also Kato marine, Annapolis.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 12:30   #48

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I agree with this approach. it all depends on one's preference, but we kept our soft dodger, and have renewed the canvas and glass (vinyl) more than once. Yes the hard dodger is permanent, but with the canvas dodger I can (and do) fold it down. I wonder why people are OK with never feeling the wind in their faces?
In fact, when at anchor in a hot summer day the possibility of folding down a soft dodger is way better than opening a hatch in a hard dodger, more fresh air flowing through
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:11   #49

My priorities were: shelter
Place to put solar panel
Appearance was third
Need to be high enough so don't clout your head, and low enough under boom. Don't forget Bunnings have alloy extrusions a meter or 2 long. Also bought my perspex/acrylic? from Bunnings .What finger are you? Yes it was bloody hard to fit.
vic008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:23   #50

Sure I saw here Havelock a yacht with basically 4 corner posts of ss and pespex panels in between that I thought looked simple. ( I'm e25)
vic008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:41   #51

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
Has anyone been through the process of replacing their canvas dodgers with a solid one? I'm thinking about it and would appreciate advice from someone who's been there.
Haven't actually seen it done, but a boat-builder dockmate suggested this, and I think I will eventually go this way. If you like the look of the canvas dodger it might be the way for you. Using the fabric dodger as a template, cut out heatshrinkable Dacron fabric and secure it over the frame. Use heat to take out the wrinkles, then wet it out with resin (might be a good idea to mask the frame and boat. Once that cures, the solid (but flimsy) shell can be removed and built up with layers of fibreglass. My preference is to continue using a removable isinglass windshield.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...s/peelply3.php
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 18:11   #52

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I built this last year and installed it this year for the Bahama winter...its a tinted Acrylic and I made a frame out of Aluminum Channel then I fiberglassed over it, (I didnt like the Aluminum finish)... I made a home made oven using duct work and heated it up to 400 degrees using a propane tank and torch...I then layed the acrylic over the mould and it was formed...(my wife helped me)...I used black Dow 793 to hold it together...it was fun making it ...We have been through some big storms with over 40 knot winds and 4 inches of water rolling towards the windshield and its held up great, at this piont I became impressed with it....it has grab rails and it is strong...I am going to add a bit of top so I can stand on it and tend to the sail bag....my wife will never like it because its not clear glass, we argued about the tinted verses the clear...I won...well maybe not because she is pissed..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_171023.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	190888   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190104_095340.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	190889  

Name:	20190104_124719.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	190890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_132633.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	190891  

Name:	20190107_144413.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	190892   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_073359.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	190893  

Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:36   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic008 View Post
Sure I saw here Havelock a yacht with basically 4 corner posts of ss and pespex panels in between that I thought looked simple. ( I'm e25)
Hi Vic. Sorry I've been away for a bit. We're I22 Blue Dolphin.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 22:41   #54

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My opinion is all that stuff hanging up there is an issue as far as being wiped away in rough conditions. Of course there is some stability loss too, but... depends on the boat obviously... But say... 200#'s at 8 feet above CG is like losing 1600 lbs of ballast.
Everything is a trade off.
The above quote is on a different thread but it is my sentiments exactly
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-210830-2.html

I have a relatively solid mast section and although I am intending to use lead ballast rather than the designer's iron ballast I am fearfully aware that any weight above deck such as outboard, jerry cans of fuel, solar panels, arches, solid dodger, dinghy, life raft, radar and anchor lashed to the deck will have a significant effect on stability of the yacht.

I will go for a canvas dodger for two reasons: it is lighter and I can fold it down in the event of extreme weather. If I intended to use the yacht as a coastal cruiser I would probably swing towards a solid dodger.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:29   #55

Boat: Hunter 356

Thanks for bringing up the issue of weight aloft. Weight aloft and weight in the stern or bow all increase angular momentum which decreases comfort and sailing performance in seas. I think angular momentum is a far greater concern than most boaters give attention to.
That's part of the reason I chose 1/4" starboard. It's light weight.
The other reason I chose starboard is due to it's unusual property that nothing sticks to it. Even epoxy. Or bird droppings.
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:24   #56

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
Has anyone been through the process of replacing their canvas dodgers with a solid one?...
We designed & built our own foam-sandwich bimini to replace our fabric one. In the process we created an easy way to attach, raise, & lower our dodger & side curtains. It was done as part of our refit, but we've pulled out the relevant bits to a single Bimini Page, which explains & documents everything, but has links back to where the work was actually done if you want more detail. We've since heard of several boats that have used our page to build their own biminis (which, of course, was why we posted it!)

Tags
dodger