Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 07:47   #16

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
I have a buffer from Harbor Freight about a 1/3 of the cost of the Makita. Allot of their stuff is junk, that said I have some tools that I purchased that I have used and abused and are still going strong. I would think for a 22' boat you would not wear it out. The money well spent are in the buffing heads. Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 19:56   #17

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Thanks Jack,

Was thinking about going the Harbor Freight route initially (after my big box cheapy was a miserable failure), but the C22 is the prelude to a bigger project that will require the tool again.

My plan is to spend a few months getting this boat back to near its original beauty, while learning repair skills. Spend the fall and winter learning to sail her. (I'm in Texas so weather should be okay most of this time). Then next spring start looking for a boat big enough to live aboard. Plan on continuing the sailing of the C22 while the other one gets pretty (and seaworthy). That is the plan anyway!

With that in mind, I might be better off going quality from the start. Still have a few weeks to think about it and to watch Ebay and other places for a deal...

Bill's suggestion about weight is playing on my mind as well
Old 21-07-2010, 06:35   #18

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
I know this is a little off track, but sort-of not totally...

I got a great deal on the Bosch Multi-X Carpenter kit yesterday, for $160 at Amazon.com. Should be great for all the finish prep work I need to do on my sharpie, especially in finishing the epoxy fairing work on the cuddy, and the leeboard mounts.

bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 11:40   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman1956 View Post
If it's any consolation, I've never regretted spending more to buy a better piece of equipment. I have often regretted buying a lesser piece of gear, tho.

And I'm facing the same dilemma. How big, what make, and can I get one that's good for both sanding and buffing?
I have spent a LOT of time disk sanding with the same Makita...I have also sent a LOT of sanding dust through the motor and it has held up. There is plenty of torque to turn a 7 inch sanding disk.

Want a really helpful tip? A few weeks ahead of time, start lifting weights to increase the strength of your deltoids and triceps.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 11:48   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I've never tried it but some say to put a snatch block on the toe rail with a line and a counter weight on one end and the buffer on the other. I'm getting a Makita 9227C when I go down to the boat in the fall. Finally got fed up with all those cheap polishers.
Old 22-07-2010, 23:15   #21

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I had a cheapie, about $60.00 IIRC. It almost survived (handle broke) but I hated it the whole time I had it. I got a DeWalt because it was on sale, it's great. I've had good luck with Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, and Milwaukee electric tools. Ryobi, Kawasaki, and HF have always disappointed me. I only buy heavy stuff with wheels on it at HF, or jack stands.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote