Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-04-2011, 18:04   #46

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Re: Broken EZ Out

Another vote for Left hand drill bits, TIG welders are great too for getting steel screws out of alloy, sometimes you can weld a nut on.
Not the best for fibreglass or timber though LOL.

Old 25-04-2011, 22:22   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yeah! Could just epoxy on a screw head and sell the boat.
I was working up a couple of smart remarks but can't think of anything to top that so will just call it a night. I know when I've been bested.

Old 25-04-2011, 23:01   #48

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Another vote for Left hand drill bits, TIG welders are great too for getting steel screws out of alloy, sometimes you can weld a nut on.
Not the best for fibreglass or timber though LOL.
I've had about a 95% success rate welding a nut on to a broken stud with a MIG in aluminum, steel, or cast iron. I think that it will catch fiberglass on fire pretty quickly.
I've had about a 5% success rate with easyouts. I don't even own any now, they're not worth it. I'd rather smash my thumb with a hammer, twice.
Old 26-04-2011, 06:31   #49

Boat: Pearson 40

One important thing worth mentioning when drilling out a ss screw is to use a good, sharp (preferably cobalt) drill bit.
If the bit does not start to bite almost immediately, the screw workhardens and it becomes harder and harder to drill it out. Cutting fluids help a lot and some mentioned here do a good job of keeping the temp down.

Easy outs are high carbon and brittle, basically used only for fasteners that are not seized (cars?). Hence hardly ever marine.
Old 26-04-2011, 06:57   #50

It has been my experience that when drilling harden materials, cobalt drill bits work best with cutting fluid, and the drill set to slow speed and steady pressure.
Inexpensive cutting fluid can be made of diesel and lard.
Old 26-04-2011, 12:01   #51
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac

A few years ago Home Depot put a Ryobi 18V set on a really good sale. Got a miter saw, circular saw, sawzall type saw, drill, flashlight, hand vac, rottary tool, two chargers and some batteries. Mainly bought because it was a super deal and I needed a miter saw for one job. Later I built a 16 X 24 combo pole barn/storage shed using just this set. Did need a few extra batteries. Now I use this kit for almost everything and love it.

So, when I had a job that nothing would work but a right angle drill went ahead and got another Ryobi for $70. Now if they would just put the Li Ion batteries on sale.
I have those Ryobi one + units and in my opinion they are all junk. The jigsaw wouldn't cut a straight line if it tried unlike my Bosch gear the drill speed control failed after 10 hours. The right angle drill has a poor gearbox. Buy good stuff like Makita

Dave
Old 26-04-2011, 12:14   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I have those Ryobi one + units and in my opinion they are all junk. The jigsaw wouldn't cut a straight line if it tried unlike my Bosch gear the drill speed control failed after 10 hours. The right angle drill has a poor gearbox. Buy good stuff like Makita

Dave
Ditto! A Ryobi orbital sander I bought lasted about 10 hours before it acquired a power loss. Now it'll only do light finish work with 150 grit, if I'm lucky.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 13:14   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave
Have some Makita gear and it's good, although I don't think the new stuff is as good as my 30 year old Makita palm sander. Then my experience with the Ryobi has been just as good.

Bought it basically as a cheap. one time use, throw away and have not been able to tear it up. Since I got my money's worth I'll keep it until it dies and if/when it does I'll have no regrets.

Don't have the Ryobi jig saw but I thought those were for cutting curved lines anyway.
Old 26-04-2011, 14:04   #54
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

As has been mentioned... for removing brittle things like a tap or easyout, I take a small punch & hammer, then break up the pieces remaining in the hole. I go slower next time, with a new tap. If the threads are all boogered up, I redrill and go up a size.

One tricky problem was when trying to remove the allen head grub screw, from down in a threaded hole in the SS rotor, of my PSS shaft seal... ONCE THE FACETS OF THE HEAD WERE STRIPPED!

The Mfgr. sent me a "reverse rotation drill bit"! The allen head recession naturally kept it centered as I drilled, the heat melted the old Locktite, the new hole removed 90% of the screw, and when almost completely through the screw... The bit grabbed, (GOING BACKWARDS), and immediately unscrewed the pesky old grub screw! It worked amazingly well.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	091_91_00.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	26609  
Old 26-04-2011, 14:09   #55

Mark, that shaft zinc in front of the dripless is a great idea to keep the shaft in the boat if the couplling lets go for any reason....
Old 26-04-2011, 14:23   #56
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
Mark, that shaft zinc in front of the dripless is a great idea to keep the shaft in the boat if the couplling lets go for any reason....
Very observant. That is one reason why it's there! Before it was ... The grub screw, while still seized in there, must've gotten a rounded bitter end, allowing the rotor to slip up the shaft.

We returned from dinner ashore to find a foot of water in the bilge! Luckily, being a trimaran, the amas held us up.

After recovering from the near disaster, I put the zinc on there as a back up. I very gently nestled it up against the rotor with a small bead of caulk between them. This way, I don't risk putting an "out of perpendicular" wobble into the rotor. My hybrid version has done the trick nicely!

IMO... ANYONE WITH A PSS SHAFT SEAL SHOULD DO THIS!

Mark
Old 26-04-2011, 15:54   #57

I installed 2 set screws one on top of the other with silicone caulking on the threads. The second screw holds the first from moving and the silicone (which withstands high heat) keeps them from galling/seizing on the collar.

A tight hose clamp acts as a "stopper" for the shaft.

Excuse the diversion, but it seems you find it useful to plumb a cooling hose(s) for the shaft? Just curious as to the "other reasons" it's there......
Old 26-04-2011, 19:59   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a note!
It is common knowledge in the valve industry that once a stainless steel set screw has been used, it's never used again. And one should not over torque them, the soft material (hex) will strip out.
As they say: "You only get one chance to make a first impression".

Now back to EZ outs.

Old 26-04-2011, 20:09   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Just a note!
It is common knowledge in the valve industry that once a stainless steel set screw has been used, it's never used again. And one should not over torque them, the soft material (hex) will strip out.
As they say: "You only get one chance to make a first impression".

Now back to EZ outs.
Well, before we get back to EZ Outs let me ask a little more about set screws (I'm allowed to drift since I started the thread ).

Was aware of the don't use set screws again (same applies in some other mechanical items as well) but want to confirm the correct material. I havde a bronze strut, bronze encased cutless/cutlass bearing and a bronze shaft for that matter. Should I use a SS set screw in the strut to hold the bearing?
Old 26-04-2011, 20:32   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SS will not hurt. But normally cutless bearings are pressed in and the set screws are for collapsing a split bearing. In that case I just leave the set screws out, fill the hole with plumbers putty and bottom paint over it.

If the screws are holding the bearing you can buy silicon bronze bolts which you could screw into the holes. Just sharpen the ends and cut them off so they would be slightly longer then the screw hole. The heads would be sticking out but the drag factor would be so minute one would never notice. Or just use SS set screws and paint over them to keep them dry. Use anti-seize to install and clean off the excess with a dry solvent. IMHO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: