Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 16:49   #1

Boat: Sabre 38
Broke My Spartan Seacock

One of my first to-do's on my new to me Sabre 38 was unfreezing my Spartan seacocks. Soaked them all in WD-40 and went to tugging on them or, if that didn't work, tapping with a hammer.

Worked for all but one. On the galley raw water intake, the point where the handle attaches to the seacock body (what I think might be called the plunge) broke in the open position. This was only at the tugging stage.

Question: Could this be a symptom of corrosion and possibly representative of the other seacocks? I am looking for pinkness but not seeing anything, but maybe the pictures will show something else to someone else.

Or should I chalk this up simply to it just being 30 years old and my tugging?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1411947843.262104.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	88921Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1411947860.086111.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	88922Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1411947876.904751.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	88923

For what it is worth, I plan on doing some maintenance on the remaining seacocks per Maine Sail's article.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 17:21   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
...Could this be a symptom of corrosion and possibly representative of the other seacocks?...
It is a symptom of neglect and deferred maintenance. And the wrong choice of penetrating oil. AeroKroil is the right one.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 17:28   #3

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

I found it handy to put a heat gun or hair drier on it to loosen things up.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 17:32   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

delete
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It is a symptom of neglect and deferred maintenance. And the wrong choice of penetrating oil. AeroKroil is the right one.
Or PB Blaster and some heat from a butane torch.

WD40 isn't really the right tool for the job.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:28   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
One of my first to-do's on my new to me Sabre 38 was unfreezing my Spartan seacocks. Soaked them all in WD-40 and went to tugging on them or, if that didn't work, tapping with a hammer.

Worked for all but one. On the galley raw water intake, the point where the handle attaches to the seacock body (what I think might be called the plunge) broke in the open position. This was only at the tugging stage.

Question: Could this be a symptom of corrosion and possibly representative of the other seacocks? I am looking for pinkness but not seeing anything, but maybe the pictures will show something else to someone else.

Or should I chalk this up simply to it just being 30 years old and my tugging?

Attachment 88921Attachment 88922Attachment 88923

For what it is worth, I plan on doing some maintenance on the remaining seacocks per Maine Sail's article.

We had six of them on our long neglected CD-33 that were frozen. My husband broke one in the exact same place trying to free it up in place. The lesson he learned is....remove it, soak it in penetrating oil (we used PB Blaster) and it will come apart much easier. Ours all needed to be removed anyway as the plywood backing pads were delaminated. Those have now been replaced with solid mahogany ones (treated with penetrating epoxy for good measure). We found a used seacock on eBay to replace the broken one and all have been serviced now. But if they ever start to leak or the next time we need to remove them we plan to replace with ball valves.
Old 29-09-2014, 07:25   #7

the metal has de zinced

better to change all to marelon with marelon valves. then corroding is not an issue
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:25   #8

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
We had six of them on our long neglected CD-33 that were frozen. My husband broke one in the exact same place trying to free it up in place. The lesson he learned is....remove it, soak it in penetrating oil (we used PB Blaster) and it will come apart much easier. Ours all needed to be removed anyway as the plywood backing pads were delaminated. Those have now been replaced with solid mahogany ones (treated with penetrating epoxy for good measure). We found a used seacock on eBay to replace the broken one and all have been serviced now. But if they ever start to leak or the next time we need to remove them we plan to replace with ball valves.

Actually sitting here reading your thread on this from a few weeks ago. Didn't make the connection that PB Blaster/penetrating oil is not WD-40.

The full winter project to be completed correctly.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
the metal has de zinced

better to change all to marelon with marelon valves. then corroding is not an issue
Yeah, cos they only lasted 30 years, most of which it sounds like they were neglected. And even then, they didn't spring a leak, just won't turn.

Obviously they are rubbish and should be replaced with plastic. I see it now.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:31   #10

We had to replace two out of our six. The one that Lance broke trying to muscle it out and the one that was for the intake water in the head. That one was very loose, to the point that it wouldn't hold its position when the handle was up. This made sense to us as this would obviously be the seacock that would be opened and closed most frequently and our boat was a liveaboard for a number of years for the previous owner. But the other 4 were still very tight and operate perfectly since Lance lapped and greased them. They have lasted 32 years (so far).
Old 29-09-2014, 18:52   #11

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
We had to replace two out of our six. The one that Lance broke trying to muscle it out and the one that was for the intake water in the head. That one was very loose, to the point that it wouldn't hold its position when the handle was up. This made sense to us as this would obviously be the seacock that would be opened and closed most frequently and our boat was a liveaboard for a number of years for the previous owner. But the other 4 were still very tight and operate perfectly since Lance lapped and greased them. They have lasted 32 years (so far).
On Spartans, on the opposite side of the handle are two nuts. The inner nut is to adjust how tight the tapered barrel is in the body. After it is adjusted to where it turns freely, and still stays in place, the other nut called a jam nut is tightened to lock both nuts in place.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
On Spartans, on the opposite side of the handle are two nuts. The inner nut is to adjust how tight the tapered barrel is in the body. After it is adjusted to where it turns freely, and still stays in place, the other nut called a jam nut is tightened to lock both nuts in place.
I read this to Lance and he said he is aware of that and tried making those adjustments. The cone was so worn that it was still too loose and, besides not being able to trust it staying where we put it, we were afraid it would leak. It was time to retire it. Even the best of hardware doesn't last forever, right?
Old 29-09-2014, 19:38   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

'the metal has de zinced"
No it hasn't. Spartan seacocks are made with low zinc bronze.
That thing was just twisted off because the OP didn't know how to get the cone out.
No penetrating oil, no heat, no magic, just a big wooden mallet.
All you have to do is loosen the jam nut and flange nut then smack that end with the mallet. I usually leave the nuts on enough to protect the thread. The cone will pop right out. If it doesn't you need a bigger hammer.

Maine Sail, as usual, has posted a great illustrated guide to servicing tapered cone seacocks.
Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Old 29-09-2014, 19:42   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you look closely at the middle picture you'll see that one end has a shiny new break. The other end has darkened indicating that it had cracked some time ago.
Old 29-09-2014, 20:54   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

First thing to do is THROW away the WD40 ! Over the years Ive found it to have no place on a boat ! As Hop Car said above get something that really works ! Just my 2 cents