Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 17:49   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Astoria, NY
Boat: Sabre 38
Posts: 496
Broke My Spartan Seacock

One of my first to-do's on my new to me Sabre 38 was unfreezing my Spartan seacocks. Soaked them all in WD-40 and went to tugging on them or, if that didn't work, tapping with a hammer.

Worked for all but one. On the galley raw water intake, the point where the handle attaches to the seacock body (what I think might be called the plunge) broke in the open position. This was only at the tugging stage.

Question: Could this be a symptom of corrosion and possibly representative of the other seacocks? I am looking for pinkness but not seeing anything, but maybe the pictures will show something else to someone else.

Or should I chalk this up simply to it just being 30 years old and my tugging?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1411947843.262104.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	88921Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1411947860.086111.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	88922Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1411947876.904751.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	88923

For what it is worth, I plan on doing some maintenance on the remaining seacocks per Maine Sail's article.







Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Stephen

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:21   #2
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,645
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
...Could this be a symptom of corrosion and possibly representative of the other seacocks?...
It is a symptom of neglect and deferred maintenance. And the wrong choice of penetrating oil. AeroKroil is the right one.
__________________

__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:28   #3
Registered User
 
Allan S's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Ontario, Canada
Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Posts: 263
Images: 5
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

I found it handy to put a heat gun or hair drier on it to loosen things up.
__________________
Our Coronado 25, Not named yet!
http://coronado25.blogspot.com/
http://sheppard1961.blogspot.ca/
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:32   #4
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,645
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

delete
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 19:27   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It is a symptom of neglect and deferred maintenance. And the wrong choice of penetrating oil. AeroKroil is the right one.
Or PB Blaster and some heat from a butane torch.

WD40 isn't really the right tool for the job.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 19:28   #6
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
One of my first to-do's on my new to me Sabre 38 was unfreezing my Spartan seacocks. Soaked them all in WD-40 and went to tugging on them or, if that didn't work, tapping with a hammer.

Worked for all but one. On the galley raw water intake, the point where the handle attaches to the seacock body (what I think might be called the plunge) broke in the open position. This was only at the tugging stage.

Question: Could this be a symptom of corrosion and possibly representative of the other seacocks? I am looking for pinkness but not seeing anything, but maybe the pictures will show something else to someone else.

Or should I chalk this up simply to it just being 30 years old and my tugging?

Attachment 88921Attachment 88922Attachment 88923

For what it is worth, I plan on doing some maintenance on the remaining seacocks per Maine Sail's article.







Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
We had six of them on our long neglected CD-33 that were frozen. My husband broke one in the exact same place trying to free it up in place. The lesson he learned is....remove it, soak it in penetrating oil (we used PB Blaster) and it will come apart much easier. Ours all needed to be removed anyway as the plywood backing pads were delaminated. Those have now been replaced with solid mahogany ones (treated with penetrating epoxy for good measure). We found a used seacock on eBay to replace the broken one and all have been serviced now. But if they ever start to leak or the next time we need to remove them we plan to replace with ball valves.
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 08:25   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 396
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

the metal has de zinced

better to change all to marelon with marelon valves. then corroding is not an issue
__________________
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Astoria, NY
Boat: Sabre 38
Posts: 496
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
We had six of them on our long neglected CD-33 that were frozen. My husband broke one in the exact same place trying to free it up in place. The lesson he learned is....remove it, soak it in penetrating oil (we used PB Blaster) and it will come apart much easier. Ours all needed to be removed anyway as the plywood backing pads were delaminated. Those have now been replaced with solid mahogany ones (treated with penetrating epoxy for good measure). We found a used seacock on eBay to replace the broken one and all have been serviced now. But if they ever start to leak or the next time we need to remove them we plan to replace with ball valves.

Actually sitting here reading your thread on this from a few weeks ago. Didn't make the connection that PB Blaster/penetrating oil is not WD-40.

The full winter project to be completed correctly.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Stephen

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:30   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
the metal has de zinced

better to change all to marelon with marelon valves. then corroding is not an issue
Yeah, cos they only lasted 30 years, most of which it sounds like they were neglected. And even then, they didn't spring a leak, just won't turn.

Obviously they are rubbish and should be replaced with plastic. I see it now.
__________________
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:31   #10
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

We had to replace two out of our six. The one that Lance broke trying to muscle it out and the one that was for the intake water in the head. That one was very loose, to the point that it wouldn't hold its position when the handle was up. This made sense to us as this would obviously be the seacock that would be opened and closed most frequently and our boat was a liveaboard for a number of years for the previous owner. But the other 4 were still very tight and operate perfectly since Lance lapped and greased them. They have lasted 32 years (so far).
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:52   #11
Registered User
 
bob_77903's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rockport, Texas
Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Posts: 304
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
We had to replace two out of our six. The one that Lance broke trying to muscle it out and the one that was for the intake water in the head. That one was very loose, to the point that it wouldn't hold its position when the handle was up. This made sense to us as this would obviously be the seacock that would be opened and closed most frequently and our boat was a liveaboard for a number of years for the previous owner. But the other 4 were still very tight and operate perfectly since Lance lapped and greased them. They have lasted 32 years (so far).
On Spartans, on the opposite side of the handle are two nuts. The inner nut is to adjust how tight the tapered barrel is in the body. After it is adjusted to where it turns freely, and still stays in place, the other nut called a jam nut is tightened to lock both nuts in place.
__________________
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 20:00   #12
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
On Spartans, on the opposite side of the handle are two nuts. The inner nut is to adjust how tight the tapered barrel is in the body. After it is adjusted to where it turns freely, and still stays in place, the other nut called a jam nut is tightened to lock both nuts in place.
I read this to Lance and he said he is aware of that and tried making those adjustments. The cone was so worn that it was still too loose and, besides not being able to trust it staying where we put it, we were afraid it would leak. It was time to retire it. Even the best of hardware doesn't last forever, right?
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 20:38   #13
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 3,157
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

'the metal has de zinced"
No it hasn't. Spartan seacocks are made with low zinc bronze.
That thing was just twisted off because the OP didn't know how to get the cone out.
No penetrating oil, no heat, no magic, just a big wooden mallet.
All you have to do is loosen the jam nut and flange nut then smack that end with the mallet. I usually leave the nuts on enough to protect the thread. The cone will pop right out. If it doesn't you need a bigger hammer.

Maine Sail, as usual, has posted a great illustrated guide to servicing tapered cone seacocks.
Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 20:42   #14
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 3,157
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

If you look closely at the middle picture you'll see that one end has a shiny new break. The other end has darkened indicating that it had cracked some time ago.
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 21:54   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Broke My Spartan Seacock

First thing to do is THROW away the WD40 ! Over the years Ive found it to have no place on a boat ! As Hop Car said above get something that really works ! Just my 2 cents
__________________

__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Classic" Spartan Seacocks... drip ... sailgreen Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 16-12-2011 06:02
Spartan Packing Gland ? Sailorman375 Propellers & Drive Systems 3 24-01-2011 07:05
The 'Spartan' Cruiser . . . Dan Mosby Monohull Sailboats 17 06-09-2010 11:56
WTB: New Spartan 1 1/2" Seacock Orion Jim Classifieds Archive 1 24-10-2009 07:17
Spartan Seacock Source? Orion Jim Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 2 18-10-2009 21:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.