OK Part 2 complete!
The grab rails were a chore! The trtim around the cabin top was easy (the easiest so far) 2 - 4 loop rails and 2 - 5 loop rails were not so easy! We in the end pulled them after I tried to sand them in place. Found a little rot
on the bottoms in places and a fair number of bolts were pulled through where the PO had found a leak and just kept cranking. Had some cracks as well as a full break patched with a couple screws from lashing items to the deck
and getting a bit carried away. So those were properly patched and bunged.
We settled it all out mostly and ended up drilling out the bungs all the way through, then plugging them full and redrilling them so there would be a solid shoulder for the new bolts. Today they seem quite solid and have just a few stains from the bottom rot
. We used a joiner to shave off and level them all but there are limits on how deep you can go. Time ran out and with 3 coats Awlspar and 5 Alwbrite we are heading south to the Albemarle in the morning for two weeks. We need to do some light sanding
then finish so it can wait.
We come back home and them for the final trip to the Yacht Club where we committee boat for the Oyster
and then take on the "roast". It's about 5 hours of serious eating and beer
After that we take on Chapter 3! We pull the butterfly hatches and disassemble them totally so we can sand and reglaze them and finish the last of the wood work!
It's been a hideously time consuming job. There really are a million ways to wimp out too. The sanding
really is hard but not even the hardest part. The grab rails really were the test. Having to do serious repairs
and still do the 13 coats! It does look really nice (sorry new pictures to follow after the trip).
I don't have a taft rail cover but I'm leaning to getting one. I can't cover the full toe rail though. Grab rails and hatches have them already. They are easy and cheap
. The results from Awlbrite are most impressive and anyone that sees it says so right away.