Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-04-2015, 08:25   #1

Boat: Bristol 35
Bristol 35 Center Board replacement

I'm looking at a Bristol 35 which has had the center board removed. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace this? Does anyone have a drawing or info? I've looked on the Bristol 35 site but can't find anything. All help, suggestions info welcome- as long as it's constructive.

Old 16-04-2015, 09:04   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Bristol 35 Center Board replacement

Is it a 35 or a 35.5? Didn't think the 35 had a center board. You could try Bristol Marine in Bristol Rhode Island, they seem to do Bristol refurbs. If a 35.5, you might try Hood Design, or Dieter Empacher design.

Old 16-04-2015, 09:10   #3

It's the 35 but the current owner says it had a centerboard that has been removed. Sailboat data says it was full keel but I'm not sure. This is the boat that sold on here recently for $1000 and is now being resold.
Old 16-04-2015, 15:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Bristol 35 like the 39/40 was sold as both a center board and deep keel boat. All they did was cut a foot or two off the keel and use cast lead ballast glassed into the encapsulated keel with a slot for the board. The boat will sail just fine without the board but will have more leeway going hard on the wind. On every other point of sail it will actually sail fine though be a bit more tender the deep keel version. Have no idea what the center board is on the Bristol but assume it's a foam filled fiberglass laminate with possibly a little lead in the tip so it will sink when you want it down. Should be a fairly easy lay up for an experienced glass worker. The critical part will be getting one to copy or the plans to build one. Bristol boats is long out of business and the B35 one of their older designs so doubt if you'll be able to get any help from the business. Best bet would be to go on every sailing website, blog, etc asking for someone with a center board B35 to send you photos and dimensions of their board. Also check the 'For Sale' sights for a listing of C/B B35's for help.

Have a C/B Pearson 35 which is a contemporary to the B35 though it was designed as C/B only. The board is a fiber glass laminate with a little ballast in the end so it will sink and a hole for a pin at the top. It's raised by a cable about a 1/3rd of the way down from the pin. The winch is two sheaves, one large and one small sandwiched together. The large sheave is wrapped with the hoisting cable and the diameter gives mechanical advantage over the smaller sheave which the lifting cable is wrapped around. The hoisting cable runs through bronze tubing attached to a sheave in a water tight housing in the keel to stow the board. The C/B housing is a cast lead ballast piece glassed into the encapsulated keel. The pivot axle is a piece of bronze round stock about 1/1/4" diameter mounted in two flanges with screwed in caps that look like they are common plumbing hardware. It's all pretty simple engineering but I'd have a close look at the boat to see if any of this hardware is still on the boat. If not, you'll have to figure out how to resurrect it should you want to install a board. IIRC, the Bristol used a reel winch for the center board. Don't quote me on this as it's been more than a decade since I looked at a C/B B35.

Have owned two center board 35' boats. Have used the boards very seldom. About the only time I drop it is short tacking in very tight channels. The leeway wasn't/isn't an issue for me as a cruiser. If you have a lot of hard on the wind sailing or want to race, might be worthwhile to replace the board. One couple who circumnavigated on a C/B Tartan 37 removed the board before they left on the cruise.
Old 16-04-2015, 15:56   #5

Thank you roverhi- I was told it does fine without but am leery. I figure it was there for a reason but have to weigh the ability to reconstruct it.

Tags
men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: