Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-02-2012, 16:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: brightsides paint job.. roll and tip

No surprise to me, rrayfield.
Except for my recent paint job due to hurricane damage, for which the approved insurance job was Imron, every finish on Blue is an Interlux product.
Prior to the Imron, which is also roll and tip, hull was Interthane 2 part LPU (12yrs), decks 2 tone Brightside, bottom UltraCoat.
Wish I owned stock.

Old 26-02-2012, 17:43   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailPenelope
To answer dandrew's question - my masts are wood.....hollow box Sitka spruce. Easy to paint. I would imagine that aluminum would be more challenging. My last boat, which had an aluminum mast, was professionally painted with a 2 part epoxy - looked great after 21 years!
Thanks for the reply. Yes Sitka would take paint a bit more readily.

Don

Old 26-02-2012, 19:10   #18

Boat: CS 40

Would something like Interlux Perfection last longer?
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 14:23   #19

Boat: Herreshoff Coquina, 17'
Re: Brightsides Paint Job ... Roll and Tip

Thanks for posting this. My yard doesn't allow spraying and no local painters will roll and tip. I've built 2 wood boats and had good results with Brightsides before. Guess I'll be doing it myself and saving some serious $$.
Old 15-08-2012, 16:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I have used and had great results with the Brightside paint from International, but over here in Australia it has been replaced with Toplac. So,polyurethane has now become enamel, not too sure if the results are going to be the same. Has anyone used the new Toplac, or is it a purely local thing?

Coops.
G'Day Coops,

Haven't used it myself, but a close friend has used it on his boat (Tui of Opua, a homebuilt Virtue that won best in show at the Sydney Wooden Boat festival a few years ago). He says that it goes on better than Brightsides, but it hasn't been on long enough for longevity info to be developed.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-08-2012, 22:41   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Many thanks Jim.

Coops
Old 17-08-2012, 06:46   #22

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrayfield View Post
Im on here all the time reading but I never share! Figured I would this time. We roll and tip my charter boat every year with iterlux brightsides .... this is about the 5th year I have done it.

They say the dark colors are harder but it always turns out great!

What do you think?

It sure looks great! However, having used Brightside for other applications and recently used the Perfection, I find the perfection is much stronger and does not "chalk out" like the Brightside. Two part paints are much harder and you probably wouldn't have to paint every year using a harder type of paint.
Also, you mentioned rolling then tiping with a brush, I heard of an other technique which is applying the paint with a large brush then rolling it, now I am confused on what makes more sense?
Old 17-08-2012, 07:43   #23

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99

It sure looks great! However, having used Brightside for other applications and recently used the Perfection, I find the perfection is much stronger and does not "chalk out" like the Brightside. Two part paints are much harder and you probably wouldn't have to paint every year using a harder type of paint.
Also, you mentioned rolling then tiping with a brush, I heard of an other technique which is applying the paint with a large brush then rolling it, now I am confused on what makes more sense?
I painted mine with perfection outdoors, and really was happy with the finish. Still glossy after 5 years, which is good for black paint. Hope the pic came out. However, if my boat was going to get scuffed up and damaged every year, I'd use brightsides because a 1 part is easier to apply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3839407255.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	45054  
Old 17-08-2012, 08:26   #24

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73

I painted mine with perfection outdoors, and really was happy with the finish. Still glossy after 5 years, which is good for black paint. Hope the pic came out. However, if my boat was going to get scuffed up and damaged every year, I'd use brightsides because a 1 part is easier to apply.
I just did my decks and house with perfection, it goes on very well and seems real hard, so should last a fair time. Need to play around a bit with the reducer ratio to get it just right, but then roll it and tip and it looks the same as sprayed. They have a nice flattening agent and nonskid powder that makes a real nice desk coating for the non skid areas.

Just be sure that you get a couple good primer coats down and the surface is fairly smooth for the best results.
Old 17-08-2012, 08:35   #25

I just repainted my deck with Perfection adding the Flattening agent and Intergrip for non-skid area, and found that the Intergrip cannot be rolled uniformely on the surface, therefore the non-skid areas show some marks of rollers. We tried to eliminate them as much as possible applying a second coat, and it did not help much. Overall the results are good, but I was hoping that it would look more like Interdeck.
Old 17-08-2012, 08:36   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
This paint sure looks great! I guess you applied it with the Roll & Tip technic being outdoors, how did you manage to apply the paint in the sun?
Old 17-08-2012, 08:41   #27

I just read this:

"It is no longer possible for do-it-yourself application of many two-part urethanes popular for refinishing fiberglass boats. These paints use isocyanates and other dangerous chemicals in their formulations. Under current OSHA and EPA regulations, they can only be sprayed by professionals using supplied-air respirators. Less durable formulae are available for most two-part urethanes."

Is Perfection one of these paints? Awlgrip probably is since it says on the container "For Professional Application Only".
Old 17-08-2012, 16:56   #28

Quote:

This paint sure looks great! I guess you applied it with the Roll & Tip technic being outdoors, how did you manage to apply the paint in the sun?
I didn't have the luxury of doing one side in am and other in pm to avoid the sun, so I started early in am while most of boat was in shade from surrounding boats in yard. Thinned a bit more for sunny side and that worked fine. Yes, rolled and tipped. From what I understand, perfection is designed for this technique, and hence takes longer to set so brush strokes have time to flow out. Awlgrip kicks faster for spray technique.

Big challenge was to learn to apply thin enough to leave lots of brush marks, which would amazingly even out. When I started out, i was applying thicker so it looked great after 1 min, but would sag after 2-3 min.
Old 17-08-2012, 16:57   #29

Quote:
I just read this:

"It is no longer possible for do-it-yourself application of many two-part urethanes popular for refinishing fiberglass boats. These paints use isocyanates and other dangerous chemicals in their formulations. Under current OSHA and EPA regulations, they can only be sprayed by professionals using supplied-air respirators. Less durable formulae are available for most two-part urethanes."

Is Perfection one of these paints? Awlgrip probably is since it says on the container "For Professional Application Only".
I think perfection is designed main,ly for roll and tip, so it can be applied outdoors.
Old 17-08-2012, 18:57   #30

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I painted the boat in an enclosed building, it was too cold outside, being March in Port Townsend. My only issue was it took about three days to get hard enough not to mark when you walked on it. A function of temperature I think in a warm climate it would fire off overnight. I mixed the inter grip into the paint with a flattening agent, it rolled on great for the nonskid areas with no marks. I put on two coats mainly for the extra grip. Obviously, you don't tip the nonskid sections.

Tags
paint, roll and tip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: