I transferred the money
to the owner, arranged for it to be towed to a nearby marina, and booked a flight to Sydney
. So ... what did I find when I got on the boat ...
Everything from the floorboards down was an oily dirty mess. It took a few days of being up to my elbows in stinking oily water to clean up, but it was useful in getting into the most inaccessible corners of the bilges to look for corrosion
on hull or wiring
, and finding all of the pumps, hoses, and through hulls.
items was the main issue. The diesel
Onan generator alternator
was corroded beyond repair, so I decided to remove the generator piece by piece, replace it temporarily with a small cheap
petrol one, and eventually add solar
(the boat has a wind
The Perkins diesel
looked a rusty mess, but after a scrub with some fresh water and a wire brush, the only issues were corroded starter motor
. There was a spare starter motor
on the boat. I changed the oil
, put in a new impeller, and when I turned the key ..... the engine started, and testing confirmed the gearbox
was OK. I did need to buy a new 160 amp alternator for charging
The hot water system was a pile of rust flakes in the corner of the engine room, but I don't need hot fresh water showers, and don't want anything that needs 240 volt AC, so removed it to create space. I also removed old 240 volt refrigeration
pumps and heat exchangers for fridges previously removed from the boat years ago.
hydraulic pump was a solid lump, and the flux gate compass
made a sloshing sound, and these have been my biggest problem so far. I had to wait 3 weeks for Raymarine
to deliver the pump, and after sending me two different rate compasses that did not work with my autopilot
distributer gave up and advised me to buy a new autopilot. $3300 for a new Raymarine
EV-400 was a bit unwelcome, but it will be a lot easier to get support and spares and integrate than the old Simrad
Another unwelcome surprise was unfurling the genoa
and staysail and finding them sun damaged and torn. New genoa
was $4500 and stitching for staysail repair was $200. The main sail has a bit of sun damage at the top, but is otherwise in good condition and seems to have had little use.
, sonar, GPS
, two colour chart plotters, VHF
, and HF radios. I haven't gotten the log or the Furuno Radar
working yet, but these are not essential. I will probably replace the old green screen radar
with a new Raymarine in the future.
Other minor issues to fix included failed bilge pumps, old wiring
, failed float switches, corroded windlass
switch, sun damaged rope
, blocked hoses, and some sagging headliner
due to water leaks
around some hatches. I have also pulled over 100 meters of dead wiring out of the boat, and fixed many poor electrical
connections and loose screws.
Major projects that I will avoid until I get to countries with cheaper yards and labour include slip, antifoul, repaint pilot house, sand teak
decks, and re-varnish the interior