Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 04:01   #616
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Maybe $200 international to Darwin is possible from Bali or Timor. Lots of potential buyers in those places 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hmm...Denpasar to Darwin this Sunday $900; Return on Wednesday, $200.

Looks like it better to inspect a boat in Denpasar than Darwin...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:29   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm...Denpasar to Darwin this Sunday $900; Return on Wednesday, $200.

Looks like it better to inspect a boat in Denpasar than Darwin...

Next weekend I could go to Darwin from Melbourne for $583. Landing at midnight Friday night and returning 1:30am Sunday. No need for time off work and only one night in a hotel needed.

Given Darwins isolation I think you could charge a high price if a local wants the boat, but to sell to a fly in buyer, the boat needs to be keenly priced from the outset or the owner needs to give the impression they are keen to negotiate.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-09-2015, 10:09   #618

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
If someone takes the time to call me and ask questions about the boat or go and visit it, they are probably serious. If they submit a low offer by email without knowing anything about the boat they are more interested in getting a good deal than the actual boat, have probably submitted offers on many other boats, and will probably get cold feet a few weeks later after wasting my time.

The idiots who wasted a week of my time in Cairns with inspections, sea trials, survey, then lowered their offer before even receiving the survey had done something similar to at least one previous seller and been rejected. Tyre kickers wasting people's time in the hope of forcing them to drop their price. Best to avoid problems by first confirming that the buyer actually wants the boat, can afford the boat, knows the condition of the boat, and knows that the price is not flexible.

I would also suggest that someone who thinks it is expensive to fly to a boat to view it cannot afford to own a boat.
Use the approach my brother used when a guy flew in to look at a Corvette. After sufficient rides and tire kicking, he just told him this is the price you can buy it or I'll drive to the airport. Sold!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:38   #619

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Not sure what the boat market's like 'Down Under,' but here on the US e. coast it never really recovered from the big 2007-08 crash. I'm told inventories are down a bit, but it seems there are still a lot of bargain hunter buyers focused more on the 'deal' vs. the boat, as homeless has described. Unfortunately for sellers, this has created expectations of a significant discount b'twn. asking & selling price even amongst good faith buyers. I've seem this vary from roughly 10-15% before survey, with the inevitable wrangling that often occurs post-survey.

I know nothing about valuations for homeless' boat, but it could very well be that he has already factored these discounts into his asking price. The only problem I see is even serious buyers might refuse to pay any asking price given the overall softness in the market, regardless of how fair that asking price might be. Then there are the 'known' variables which buyers worry about on any used boat purchase, compounded perhaps by some of the 'unknown' variables on homeless' boat.

Regardless, and after all his work bringing this beautiful boat from salvage to functional condition, I surely hope homeless ultimately gets a fair price. If not now then down the road when I imagine he will have eliminated more of the 'unknowns.' Either way, I look forward to additional posts about maintenance & sailing. Best of luck with it, homeless!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 21:36   #620

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Homeless, that's a crock!

I begin to fear that you have become embittered by your long struggle... seems that you used to have a more cheerful outlook on life.

Hangin there, mate, better times comin'!
Homeless, what Jim Cate said. You're into negotiations and selling, what you're seeing is exactly how these things are so above all relax and enjoy yourself doing so.

As far as emailed lowball offers go, give them a quick polite boilerplate response very slightly lower than your asking price. Costs you nothing. What you want is communications leading to a good offer. You can always say "$nnn,nnn firm" to establish take it or leave it.

If you want to continue the way you are, you can do what I usually do. I hate the pressure of negotiations, and list items for sale with the "$nn firm", no deviation.

Homeless, gather yourself together and GO SAILING. Go and enjoy yourself! Uh, leave the listing up...
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 23:21   #621

Interesting seeing the replies from the peanut gallery above. Really, how does anyone on this forum think it is any of their business how I sell my boat, how I price it, or what I pay for airfares ??? You guys really need to get a life.

Definitely time to end this thread and depart these forums forever.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 23:40   #622

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
A month ago I bought a 50 foot 1987 aluminium yacht, on a mooring, in another country, with no inventory, no survey, no viewing, sight unseen. This is my first boat, and I intend to sail it for a year or two, then sell it for a profit...
Quote:
Interesting seeing the replies from the peanut gallery above. Really, how does anyone on this forum think it is any of their business how I sell my boat, how I price it, or what I pay for airfares ??? You guys really need to get a life.

Well, 16 months of yachting may not have been your cup of tea.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:32   #623

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Oh come on, Homeless... if you didn't want input from the peanut gallery, why the hell have you been posting all this stuff about your criteria for selling and dealing with potential customers?

Now you threaten us with your withdrawal! Well, you have provided us with some interesting stories and an unusual outlook on life, but if you find us (in aggregate) unsatisfactory company, well cheers and be well in your endeavors.

We'll be here the next time you need some advice or comforting; meanwhile i'm pretty well satisfied with the life I already lead.

Jim
Old 07-09-2015, 05:20   #624
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Hoo roo.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:32   #625
Armchair Bucketeer

Selling a boat requires kissing a lot of frogs.

Suck it up or prepare for long term continued ownership. And bills.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:52   #626

Selling a boat is like selling a house, it's a business transaction.

Letting emotion enter the matrix is a mistake, the same with posting on the Internet.

Thicken your skin, stick around, sail around or sell the boat, just put it in perspective.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:31   #627

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Don't go away! I feel sure many of us have been enjoying following you exploits and are hoping for a successful conclusion.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:50   #628

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 15:28   #629

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Wow, interesting thread. I do think potential buyers that pass around low ball offers on sight unseen boats should be considered as little more than time wasters and treated accordingly. Anyone who is serious about a particular boat and feels the price is within the ballpark and budget will make an effort to inspect or ask for very detailed information at the very least. Why wouldn't they?

On another note, this thread has demonstrated just how difficult it can be to make money by buying and flipping non trailerable boats. I guess there's a reason they're often referred to as "holes in the water you shovel money into".
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 16:34   #630

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Wow, interesting thread. I do think potential buyers that pass around low ball offers on sight unseen boats should be considered as little more than time wasters and treated accordingly. Anyone who is serious about a particular boat and feels the price is within the ballpark and budget will make an effort to inspect or ask for very detailed information at the very least. Why wouldn't they?
I wonder if it depends on the boat in question. When selling a dreadful old 16 footer many moons ago, I got a much higher sight-unseen to actual viewer offer ratio than when selling a very tidy little trailer sailor a few years later.

Tags
rule