Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 20:25   #601
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
To avoid wasting everyone's time I told the broker I would only accept offers at the list price, and only from a buyer who had actually seen the boat and spoken to me about it, but the broker continues to forward low offers from idiots on the internet.I understand that the broker is trying hard to put a deal together, but if he can't follow instructions and continues to waste my time (and the buyer's time) with offers he knows will be rejected I think it is time to find a new broker.

I guess I should be thankful this broker actually answers emails. I emailed a broker in Langkawi about listing with them, and they replied that they would get back to me in 2 weeks after they returned from holiday. I told them if it took them 2 weeks to reply to an email I would not list with them. How can anyone expect to run a brokerage business and not respond to emails for 2 weeks ???
Broker's have a moral if not a legal responsibility to forward all offers to the vendor even if the vendor doesn't want them.

As a buyer, if a broker refused to present my offer, I would either side step him and find out who the owner is and go direct or not ever deal with the broker again on any deal.

Surprisingly, some owners change their mind!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 23:30   #602

ZazAzza_-

Happy Sailing!
Old 02-09-2015, 16:28   #603

Interesting thread and certainly "buyer beware".

Darwin is an expensive trip to see a boat that one is uncertain of the "price" and uncertain whether an agreement can be reached if the boat turns out to be what the buyer hopes to find. Having worked with a well respected broker, he would counsel against flying somewhere remote without a contract in advance.

A buyer off the internet, sight unseen, should not be ignored. Likely they offer based on what they hope to find, less a negotiating margin. If a price is reached then they will fly and inspect and invest time and money. Whether they buy or not will depend on many factors including whether they found what they thought they were offering on.
balestear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 17:48   #604
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Phantom 40

Homeless I have watched you with your labour over the last 10 months or so and been very impressed with your tenacity and perseverance. But I do find it strange that you are so upset about people making offers without seeing your boat and below your asking price.
I just re-read your first post and it appears they are only following your lead.
I am sad that my boat is worth less that I paid for it but over the years of ownership I have paid out 50% of the purchase price in maintenance so the only way I can re-coup my re-investment is by use.
Good luck with whichever way you go.
Old 03-09-2015, 17:57   #605
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes, and every tyre kicker is a potential buyer. Take two minutes to reply with a nice email explaining why the boat is worth your asking price or close to it, why it's worth the dollars compared to the other yachts on the market etc. don't expect the broker to do a better job at selling your boat than you can yourself....
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 20:24   #606

If someone takes the time to call me and ask questions about the boat or go and visit it, they are probably serious. If they submit a low offer by email without knowing anything about the boat they are more interested in getting a good deal than the actual boat, have probably submitted offers on many other boats, and will probably get cold feet a few weeks later after wasting my time.

The idiots who wasted a week of my time in Cairns with inspections, sea trials, survey, then lowered their offer before even receiving the survey had done something similar to at least one previous seller and been rejected. Tyre kickers wasting people's time in the hope of forcing them to drop their price. Best to avoid problems by first confirming that the buyer actually wants the boat, can afford the boat, knows the condition of the boat, and knows that the price is not flexible.

I would also suggest that someone who thinks it is expensive to fly to a boat to view it cannot afford to own a boat.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 21:22   #607

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I would also suggest that someone who thinks it is expensive to fly to a boat to view it cannot afford to own a boat.
Homeless, that's a crock! When you have had egregiously exaggerated descriptions of boats by owners and brokers in distant harbours as many time as we had whilst looking for this boat, and then drove long distances to view them with nasty disappointments following, you begin to believe that travel, especially flying to see a prospect is indeed expensive. Oh BTW, I can afford to own a boat, and have done so for decades.

I begin to fear that you have become embittered by your long struggle... seems that you used to have a more cheerful outlook on life. I hope you get the remaining problems sorted and then actually enjoy the boat a while before selling her onward. And further, when the new owner appears, that he appreciates all that you have done for the boat.

Hangin there, mate, better times comin'!

Jim
Old 04-09-2015, 02:36   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Homeless, that's a crock!
Jim
Sorry Jim, but I must disagree. I am booking return international airfares for less than $200, but could easily spend that amount just on 3 days marina fees. I have spent over $90,000 on the boat in the last year so if a buyer thinks that $200 is a lot of money, they can't afford the boat, the marina fees, or the ongoing maintenance. That is why the boat was in such a bad state when I bought it. The previous owner bought a nice boat, but did not budget for ongoing maintenance.

The average purchase contract will take a month to close, costing about $1000 in marina fees just waiting on the buyer making their mind up. The whole point of insisting on speaking to potential buyers BEFORE they make an offer is to give them a clear understanding of the boat so they don't waste their money getting finance, paying deposits, and travelling to the boat, or my waste my time.

Sorry you wasted your time and money flying to see boats that did not meet your expectation. I can assure you that dealing with dishonest lying time wasting buyers is just as frustrating as dealing with dishonest lying time wasting sellers.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:43   #609

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I've lost track here...where is the boat?

Return international airfares for $200?

I once flew Melb - Phuket and back to look at a boat.... cost a bit more than $200
Old 04-09-2015, 02:52   #610
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

advice on" how to be a millionaire and own a yacht".........................start off as a multimillionaire
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:58   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
advice on" how to be a millionaire and own a yacht".........................start off as a multimillionaire
Absolutely. There is an extreme project boat down the dock from me now covered in junk. Spoke to the 70 year old owner this morning and he admitted he has spent about $130,000 so far on the boat, but it is probably worth less than $30,000 (I think he is being extremely optimistic). He justifies it as lowering his net worth so he can qualify for a pension.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:11   #612
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Absolutely. There is an extreme project boat down the dock from me now covered in junk. Spoke to the 70 year old owner this morning and he admitted he has spent about $130,000 so far on the boat, but it is probably worth less than $30,000 (I think he is being extremely optimistic). He justifies it as lowering his net worth so he can qualify for a pension.
it is an unfortunate fact of life,that unlike houses it is hard to "see" the added value of money spent maintaining and upgrading on a second hand boat
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:13   #613
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Homeless, I'm not sure where you are expecting your potential buyers to fly in from but here is a reality check.

Just say I want to fly to Darwin this Sunday, spend two days looking at your boat and return say Wednesday. The cheapest airfare is over 1,000. A decent travelling time will cost me about 2,000.

Throw in some accommodation, taxis or car hire and a few meals and I'm up for almost 3,000. Maybe from say Sydney, I might be only spending 2,000.

But getting to and from Darwin for 200, give me a break...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:28   #614

Quote:
Sorry Jim, but I must disagree. I am booking return international airfares for less than $200, but could easily spend that amount just on 3 days marina fees. I have spent over $90,000 on the boat in the last year so if a buyer thinks that $200 is a lot of money, they can't afford the boat, the marina fees, or the ongoing maintenance. That is why the boat was in such a bad state when I bought it. The previous owner bought a nice boat, but did not budget for ongoing maintenance.

The average purchase contract will take a month to close, costing about $1000 in marina fees just waiting on the buyer making their mind up. The whole point of insisting on speaking to potential buyers BEFORE they make an offer is to give them a clear understanding of the boat so they don't waste their money getting finance, paying deposits, and travelling to the boat, or my waste my time.

Sorry you wasted your time and money flying to see boats that did not meet your expectation. I can assure you that dealing with dishonest lying time wasting buyers is just as frustrating as dealing with dishonest lying time wasting sellers.
Ohhh dear..... You really don't want to sell it do you....

How is making a low offer wasting your precious time? If you can't be bothered spending a couple of minutes dealing with an offer why should someone want to buy Ma boat from you.

You have from the sounds of it listed the boat at a wishful price, as most sellers do and by making a low offer they are fishing to see how flexible on price. Your arrogance has probably turned off some serious who may have raised their offer.

Unless I know the owner is serious about selling and the price is flexible enough to to be in the right ball park, then I would not spend the money to buy airline tickets, hotel, land transport and time of work to take a flight that may be at an inconvenient time. I am fed up with flying and quite frankly would not do it unless I'm am deadly serious about the boat.

When I was working, a $200 flight to inspect a boat probably would have cost me closer to $2000.

The only real risk of time wasting would be of that done by an unserious seller which is the impression you will be giving off.

Get real and for each low offer, make a counter offer lowering your fantasy price.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-09-2015, 03:30   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Homeless, I'm not sure where you are expecting your potential buyers to fly in from but here is a reality check.

Just say I want to fly to Darwin this Sunday, spend two days looking at your boat and return say Wednesday. The cheapest airfare is over 1,000. A decent travelling time will cost me about 2,000.

Throw in some accommodation, taxis or car hire and a few meals and I'm up for almost 3,000. Maybe from say Sydney, I might be only spending 2,000.

But getting to and from Darwin for 200, give me a break...
Maybe $200 international to Darwin is possible from Bali or Timor. Lots of potential buyers in those places 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
rule