Today was very hot, and to make it worse the cold drink vending machine took my money
, but then decided I was not worthy
It was another day of small jobs to try to finish projects. I started the day rewiring the extension cord plug
, then moved the kayak
and finished water
blasting the deck
. I still think the $35 water blaster was the best value for money
hand rails were removed from the pilothouse, paint
ground off, then primed and faired. I moved on to sanding
the fairing from yesterday, followed by another two coats of primer on the cockpit
surround and stern.
for the old liferaft
was removed from the foredeck which clears up lots of space, and will now mean I can actually see out of the pilothouse. Not sure why anyone would buy a pilothouse yacht with a wheel
controls, and all instruments inside, then block the view with a huge raft making it impossible to steer or do watches from inside.
My fridge has never worked, and the error light blinks indicating low voltage even when the battery
bank is fully charged. There are at least 4 different gauges of wire spliced together between the switch and the fridge so I guessed the issue was with wiring
but had not found time to look at it and so have been living on tinned food
and cereal with long life milk. Today I finally got around to rewiring the fridge with a single
run of large diameter wire, but the blinking light did not stop. I tried wiring
the fridge directly to the batteries, and the error light stops and it gets cold, so I will need to do more work to clean up terminals between the battery
and the switchboard.
The rigger still has not received the newly fabricated mast
step and sleeve, so the mast
is delayed until late next week. I have given up on getting the boat back in the water by the 16th, and will fly home for a week and then extend here by another month to allow me to finish all projects and get the boat looking good before departure.
There are some loose teak panels
on the side decks which are annoying, and I don't want to put any more screws through the teak into the aluminium plate, so today I lifted up the ends, water blasted underneath, let it dry, then injected sikaflex underneath and weighed them down with a spare anchor
. Not the best way to fix the deck
, but it should stop it getting worse until I get time to do the job properly.
I pulled apart the last two deck filler mounts, ground off the sealant
and flaking paint
, then put it back together with plenty of sealant
. The filler hose deck mounts have been the biggest source of deck leaks
as they are in the scuppers and poorly sealed. On the bright side after draining the corroded fresh water tanks
which were the source of much of the water in the bilges it would now be possible to vacuum the bilges, and the crabs that used to wander about down there have now been replaced by spiders.
I went for a wander around the deck with a screwdriver scraping off runaway paint spots, and a stranger shouted to get my attention, and asked "Is this a homeless shelter". I was rather confused until he mentioned he was a CF member
and had just arrived with his boat.