Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2015, 22:50   #346

Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

Another hot sunny day ... perfect for grinding and painting.

At sunset when the light is at a tangent to the hull I could see some paint deformation below the windows in the hull and around some of the vents and overflows. Yesterday I went around the hull doing tap tests in these areas, and sure enough there was a hollow sound in some small areas indicating that the fairing has lifted off the aluminium plate, probably due to corrosion underneath caused by water penetration, or dissimilar metal used in the vents. Today I went around the hull doing a tap test again and ground off the paint, fairing, and underlying corrosion. After grinding I washed the dust off, went around again and wire brushed the plate, then washed again, followed by two coats of epoxy primer and a cleanup with thinner. With 10 windows and 3 vents to check and resolve I probably went up and down the ladder-of-death about 60 times. Now that these areas are primed, I will need to fair, paint, sand, prime, prime, then top coat so by the time I am done I will have been up and down the ladder about 150 times carrying tools just for this piece of work. Hopefully I can get the fairing looking good, and the new white paint isn't too obvious compared with the the original.

I also ground off the paint and fairing on the cockpit surround, applied two coats of primer, and painted the deck mast gate ready for the mast re-stepping.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 01:44   #347

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

So, you're not using etching primer on the exposed aluminum?

Ann
Old 28-02-2015, 01:46   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
So, you're not using etching primer on the exposed aluminum?

Ann
No. Grind, wash, dry, paint on a hot day means only an hour or two exposed.
Old 28-02-2015, 02:16   #349

Boat: Dragon

Epoxy primer straight on to Ali is fine in this case.
Make sure your wire brushes are stainless, keep them clean and only use them on ali. This will keep contamination down.
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 00:58   #350

Another hot day, perfect for fairing.

I applied epoxy fairing 3 times to all the newly ground and primed spots around the windows and vents, and sanded two times. I estimate 75 trips up and down the ladder-of-death today carrying tools. If it does not rain tonight I will do one more sanding in the morning which should be the last, then two more coats of epoxy primer.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02   #351
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Keep up the good work!
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:37   #352

A long day of work. I got up in the morning after the sunrise chased away the mosquitos, and headed for the showers when the mosquito swarms came back after sunset.

I did sanding/fairing/sanding on the hull windows and vents, followed by two coats of epoxy primer. After 4 rounds of fairing and sanding it is still not perfect, but probably the best I can achieve, and is now ready for me to apply the top coat. I also re-bedded the two perspex windows in the aft cabin.

When climbing the ladder back onto the boat I noticed that there was paint deformation around the mounts of the stainless steel swim ladder, so got out the grinder and started taking the paint and fairing off the stern and swim step. Unfortunately the grinder has been slowly dying the last few times I used it, which is to be expected when you buy the cheapest tools available, and today it died completely. I had already rebuilt it once and noticed the brushes were wearing out, so no point rebuilding again. I borrowed the yard courtesy car and went shopping. Got a new grinder, a sheet of black acrylic to make new window surrounds, and on my third attempt managed to get a new gas line to fit my non-standard regulator. Back to the boat, finish grinding, then wash, dry, and apply primer in the dark.

A stainless steel fabricator visited the boat next to me, and I got a quote of $160 to replace each of the two teak hand rails on the pilothouse roof. I will start pulling off the old rails, then grind and paint ready for the new stainless ones due next week.

After two weeks waiting I sent a chaser email to RFD and got a reply that they want $1500 to service my old 10 man liferaft, which is is really not worth the cost considering it is 20 years old and nearing the end of it's life. Not sure if I will get a new 4 man raft, or just do without until I get up to Asia and my wife notices.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:12   #353

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

First mention I believe of a wife. You must be lucky to have one as understanding as she must be given the time you are spending with the boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:37   #354

After many years of me looking at yachts for sale and asking "what about ..." my wife finally approved this one, knowing that I would be spending some of my savings and would be away for months fixing it up and sailing it home.

In the meantime she is working long hours in a bank, paying the rent, school fees, maid etc. Not sure if I would call it lucky to have an understanding wife, but more like good judgement in my selection On the other hand I did have to close down my company and move to a country where I am not allowed to work so she could have her job in a bank, and am away from my son for long periods for this project, so it is a two way street.
Old 03-03-2015, 13:55   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
After many years of me looking at yachts for sale and asking "what about ..." my wife finally approved this one, knowing that I would be spending some of my savings and would be away for months fixing it up and sailing it home.

In the meantime she is working long hours in a bank, paying the rent, school fees, maid etc. Not sure if I would call it lucky to have an understanding wife, but more like good judgement in my selection On the other hand I did have to close down my company and move to a country where I am not allowed to work so she could have her job in a bank, and am away from my son for long periods for this project, so it is a two way street.
Luck, selection, you did or she did what ever. She puts up with your ass as does mine. I hope mine doesn't throw my ass out after pushing 50 yrs.. Count your blessings.
Old 03-03-2015, 19:32   #356

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

How about a bucket and rope for getting tools up and down?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 00:32   #357

A day of small jobs to try to finish them.

I drilled and tapped the pulpit mounts to upgrade from loose quarter inch bolts to M8. Drilling stainless steel is not fun. I destroyed three new 9mm bits including one with a tungsten insert just to drill 4 holes so must be doing something wrong in spite of using lubrication, regular cooling with water, pressure, and short intervals.
Reassembled the gas lines ready for testing the new oven.
Mounted the mainsheet traveller and the pilothouse winches.
Walked around the deck polishing the stainless steel with the worst surface.
Cut a new acrylic surround for the aft cabin windows and mounted it.
Cut the final panel for the chart table surround to replace the old panels after removing HF radio and radar monitor. I painted all the new panels and mounted them.
Moved the VHF radio from the chart table surround to the dashboard to reduce clutter, and rewired it.
Removed the old car stereo and started removing the associated speaker wiring.
Cut new acrylic panels to cover the holes in the dashboard where the generator controls were removed.
Faired around the swim ladder mounts ready for painting.

I am getting nervous about launching the boat March 16 as there is still too much to do to get it ready. I still don't have a confirmed date for stepping the mast next week, and my sonar sensor still has not been delivered after leaving Miami airport February 25. I really don't want to be here another month.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:01   #358

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
A day of small jobs to try to finish them.

I drilled and tapped the pulpit mounts to upgrade from loose quarter inch bolts to M8. Drilling stainless steel is not fun. I destroyed three new 9mm bits including one with a tungsten insert just to drill 4 holes so must be doing something wrong in spite of using lubrication, regular cooling with water, pressure, and short intervals.
I'd take a stab and say drilling too fast (work hardening) or drilling at the wrong angle to the hole or just an out of shape hole (causing galling - aka grabbing). Are you using those tungsten bits that look like masonary drill bits? Those are brilliant for stainless steel so if they're breaking you are definitely doing something wrong. You don't need water to cool - just use Rocol cutting lubricant or even WD40 in a bind. You might also want to buy a 7.5mm drill bit and drill out in steps. I'd probably also only drill out to 8.5mm for an 8mm bolt, too.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:43   #359

I drilled and tapped the pulpit mounts to upgrade from loose quarter inch bolts to M8. Drilling stainless steel is not fun.

Remember to drill stainless at low speed.
Old 04-03-2015, 13:56   #360

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

homeless,

Our experience to the Brisbane area from FL in the States takes roughly 2 weeks, sometimes 14 working days, if you're a bit out in the tules (woop-woop, to Ozzies).

Our all time horror story mail-wise was a prop we had shipped, 1 month after we had paid extra for fast shipping! That was MA in the US to Hobart. It got lost 3 times, and accrued additional charges along the way. Not fun at all.

A.

Tags
rule