Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 14:21   #331

Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I have been following you. I'm not sure you are legit or spinning a tale. If legit good luck at finding a buyer after tell all the problems with the vessel.

I, myself would not buy something where pin holes need to be welded up.

Pics would be convincing. Hell, my wife can do that and she is not an IT.
I do find it strange that someone who has not met me seems to be calling me a liar and/or stupid. I am writing these forum entries for my own benefit, not yours, so you are welcome to not read them if they annoy you. I have listed the make of the boat and the yard I am in, so anyone who could not sleep at night wondering if I was legit could easily confirm it for themselves. Hint ... about 100 meters from my boat they are currently preparing the new ship for Pirates of the Carribean 5.

I also find it strange that you would refuse to buy a 27 year old metal boat that had been repaired by a professional welder. Better to buy a 27 year old boat where both the symptom and the cause have been found and fixed properly, than one where the symptoms and the causes have not been found, have been hidden, or have been bodged.

If I have greatly misjudged the value of the boat and my ability to find a buyer, then at worst it has only cost me $100K to gain some new experiences and skills, and a very cheap lesson in why the reality of boat ownership is very different from the dream.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 15:11   #332

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I do find it strange that someone who has not met me seems to be calling me a liar and/or stupid. I am writing these forum entries for my own benefit, not yours, so you are welcome to not read them if they annoy you. I have listed the make of the boat and the yard I am in, so anyone who could not sleep at night wondering if I was legit could easily confirm it for themselves. Hint ... about 100 meters from my boat they are currently preparing the new ship for Pirates of the Carribean 5.

I also find it strange that you would refuse to buy a 27 year old metal boat that had been repaired by a professional welder. Better to buy a 27 year old boat where both the symptom and the cause have been found and fixed properly, than one where the symptoms and the causes have not been found, have been hidden, or have been bodged.

If I have greatly misjudged the value of the boat and my ability to find a buyer, then at worst it has only cost me $100K to gain some new experiences and skills, and a very cheap lesson in why the reality of boat ownership is very different from the dream.
Not meaning to call you a liar or stupid. It just seems monumental to possibly make any money. A labor of love I could see and investment not so much.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 17:38   #333

Homeless you are cool, what your doing is cool, how your doing it is cool, how your writing about it is cool.. Cadence is very much not cool.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 19:08   #334

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...I also find it strange that you would refuse to buy a 27 year old metal boat that had been repaired by a professional welder...
homeless--The problem you face is that this professional welder has only repaired a few of the most glaringly obvious holes in a (looks like) very badly corroded boat with a history of sinking, the obvious signs of which you have been diligently trying to remove, along with the obvious signs of massive and long term neglect. The hull needed to be stripped and surveyed to locate and repair all other areas of corrosion. Instead you painted over it.

Your work ethic is admirable. But you must forgive anyone who becomes skeptical regarding your attempt to pass this off as a $250,000 yacht while withholding its history and true condition.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 19:27   #335

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I have been following you. I'm not sure you are legit or spinning a tale. If legit good luck at finding a buyer after tell all the problems with the vessel.

I, myself would not buy something where pin holes need to be welded up.

Pics would be convincing. Hell, my wife can do that and she is not an IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
But you must forgive anyone who becomes skeptical regarding your attempt to pass this off as a $250,000 yacht while withholding its history and true condition.
If he was trying to hide its history and condition I don't think he would be posting about all the problems he's found, and if he's making it up he's a hell of a writer. We don't need this thread to devolve into a bunch of nonsense about how successful homeless' plan might be or whether he even exists. Go start your own thread about that and I promise to ignore it.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 19:50   #336
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
Homeless you are cool, what your doing is cool, how your doing it is cool, how your writing about it is cool.. Cadence is very much not cool.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
If he was trying to hide its history and condition I don't think he would be posting about all the problems he's found, and if he's making it up he's a hell of a writer. We don't need this thread to devolve into a bunch of nonsense about how successful homeless' plan might be or whether he even exists. Go start your own thread about that and I promise to ignore it.
Well said, both of you
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 19:51   #337
cruiser

Homeless, you're in my hometown - have you got a date that you're aiming for to sail back? Given you're waiting out the cyclone season.

The reason I ask is I'd love to pop up and buy you a beer/give you a hand if you're still working. I'm in Sydney but was thinking of flying up early April to see my parents anyway.
Old 25-02-2015, 21:32   #338

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
...Go start your own thread about that and I promise to ignore it.
Other than bragging about a house you restored, what do you have that is on topic?

The OP began speculating on how much he could get for the boat. Its condition and history are certainly relevant to market value. That it's had a quick once-over is relevant.

The OP has displayed an awful lot of varied skills and fierce determination to complete so many varied tasks. Surely the quality of his work will also be relevant to an asking price.

Someone, sometime, somehow must determine the cause of such corrosion and fix the problem.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 00:11   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Homeless, you're in my hometown - have you got a date that you're aiming for to sail back? Given you're waiting out the cyclone season.

The reason I ask is I'd love to pop up and buy you a beer/give you a hand if you're still working. I'm in Sydney but was thinking of flying up early April to see my parents anyway.
If the welding and rigging work go to current schedule I am hoping to be back in the water March 13 and head North, but if there are any further surprises that date may be delayed, or if the weather is wrong I may put the boat in a marina and fly home for a few weeks. Watch this thread for more details ...
Old 26-02-2015, 00:28   #340
cruiser

Quote:
If the welding and rigging work go to current schedule I am hoping to be back in the water March 13 and head North, but if there are any further surprises that date may be delayed, or if the weather is wrong I may put the boat in a marina and fly home for a few weeks. Watch this thread for more details ...
Will do, cheers mate.
Old 26-02-2015, 00:31   #341

I spent the morning shopping for a fan heater, teak plugs, marine ply, aluminium plate, paint brushes, and a circular saw. Winter must be coming as Target have now stocked fan heaters (they had none last Sunday) so while I am writing this hot air is blasting through the bilges. Initially I thought the fan was broken as it would not run, but then when I put it down it started, so obviously it has a movement switch in it, which is rather annoying when you get it out of the box and plug it in and expect it to work. I wonder how many of those heaters get returned to the store due to this safety feature.

When I got back to the boat it was hot and sunny, so I mixed up half a pot of polyurethane top coat and went to work on the dorado vents, hatches, and selected spots on the pilothouse and cockpit where I have removed attachments (vents, hatch covers, speakers, winches, traveller ...) and am keen to put them back on. The paint looks good, but the surface is a bit rougher than it used to be since I ground off the fairing and did not put it back. I have tried to be careful during the painting and clean up afterwards, but the number of white spots is multiplying, so I will need to go for a walk around the deck with some sandpaper and a scraper.

The boat has been looking a mess inside after I removed old electronics and generator controls from the pilothouse, cut the bottom out of a cupboard to access the fuel tank, and cut holes in the shower for the welding and plumbing. I spent the afternoon cutting out new marine ply pieces to fix the cupboard and instrument panels, and aluminium plate to create hatch covers in the shower. I did try to find proper hatches the right size for the shower, but could not, so reverted to making my own out of checker plate. Checker plate hatches will look a bit strange in the shower, but will allow easy access to the plumbing without having to completely rebuild the room, and maybe will have some minor non-slip properties
Old 26-02-2015, 00:45   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The hull needed to be stripped and surveyed to locate and repair all other areas of corrosion. Instead you painted over it.
All corrosion has originated from inside the boat, so painting the outside of the hull has not covered or hidden anything. Where there has been corrosion inside the hull I have removed the paint, foam, wood, and corrosion in those areas and exposed them to air and to visibility. Where the corrosion was severe it was drilled or cut out and re-welded.

The welds on the hull were not ground down or faired over, so are visible to inspection, not hidden. The pilothouse and cockpit had the paint and fairing removed down to bare metal, and only paint applied, exposing any plate imperfection or corrosion damage.

I really do not like the suggestion that I have hidden any of the flaws that I have found, when the opposite is true.
Old 26-02-2015, 01:25   #343
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
All corrosion has originated from inside the boat, so painting the outside of the hull has not covered or hidden anything. Where there has been corrosion inside the hull I have removed the paint, foam, wood, and corrosion in those areas and exposed them to air and to visibility. Where the corrosion was severe it was drilled or cut out and re-welded.

The welds on the hull were not ground down or faired over, so are visible to inspection, not hidden. The pilothouse and cockpit had the paint and fairing removed down to bare metal, and only paint applied, exposing any plate imperfection or corrosion damage.

I really do not like the suggestion that I have hidden any of the flaws that I have found, when the opposite is true.
I think you are doing awesome and I know you are convinced that it is corrosion caused by areas of poor oxygenation or dissimilar metals.

However I fall down on the side of strip and look outside. There are other methods to be had for finding thin spots. There could be more spots where only the paint is holding the water out.

Tap testing and poking with an awl come to mind.

I know you are super busy and want to get going but I read the saga of Karl referenced earlier in this thread and that girl had some serious determination to find all the bad spots in her hull and get them fixed.

As a buyer you'd just have to convince me that you got it all. It's your story to tell when the time comes.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 01:27   #344

Boat: Dragon

I'm enjoying this thread very much.
Don't be too critical of the small imperfections in your work. The problem there is that you know exactly where to look and your eyes are naturally drawn there...
Regardless of the outcome I admire 'head down and go for it' attitude!
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 00:21   #345

Long tiring day. I started by mounting all the hardware on the pilothouse and in the cockpit that I had removed for painting, then moved on to painting the new marine ply cutouts made yesterday to cover the starboard fuel tank and headliner mast surround.

When the sun got hot enough to burn off the rain from last night I mixed up another pot of polyurethane and finished painting the pilothouse, cockpit, and pedestal, which is very satisfying. Unfortunately there were the usual few drips on deck, so I will need to schedule some time to crawl around with sandpaper and scraper.

Once the painting was complete it was time for woodwork, making the new mounting blocks for the new gimballed stove, screwing on the brackets, and bolting them into the galley. The stove is now mounted and could almost be classified as a perpetual motion machine. Unfortunately the second gas line I bought yesterday also does not fit onto the gas solanoid connector, so I think I will need to get a gas fitter in to fit the lines and give the system a quick checkout.

Tags
rule