Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 00:37   #316

Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

Today I drained the starboard water tank and removed the inspection hatch, so there are no more sources of water to leak into the bilge, and it will hopefully start to dry out. I ran around all the usual cheap department stores yesterday, but none had a fan heater for sale in summer. Tomorrow I will go in search of a hair dryer which should do the job, but will take longer.

Unfortunately I still have not found a welder who is interested in repairing my water tanks. The welders I used before are both off on contracts in the mines for a month, and the others I have contacted are either not mobile, or are not interested in doing repairs. I actually got one onto the boat today, and he took one look at the corrosion, said he was not interested in working with old metal (e.g not new) and suggested I just use Sikaflex to seal the holes. I will continue searching. I am beginning to think that anyone who owns an aluminium boat should also own a TIG and know how to use it to avoid issues finding welders.

A few weeks ago while in Bunnings Hardware there was a high pressure water blaster for only $35, so I bought it thinking I could use it to clean ropes, sails, canvas etc. I pulled it out today to blast the bilges clean, then then moved up to the deck. I blasted all the teak, and it came up like new, with a lot less material removed than sanding would do, so I am very happy with the result.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 01:36   #317

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Still following, nothing constructive to add at this point, sorry.

Ann
Old 23-02-2015, 02:48   #318

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Today I drained the starboard water tank and removed the inspection hatch, so there are no more sources of water to leak into the bilge, and it will hopefully start to dry out. I ran around all the usual cheap department stores yesterday, but none had a fan heater for sale in summer. Tomorrow I will go in search of a hair dryer which should do the job, but will take longer.

If the heater was to dry the tanks or bilge, have you considered a wet and dry vacuum cleaner instead? I've found ours great for this sort of thing, and a neighbouring boat borrowed it last weekend to vacuum out his fresh water tanks before refilling them. A very useful gadget, and it only cost me $29 at Godfrey's.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-02-2015, 00:00   #319

An excellent productive day.

It finally stopped raining today so I painted the last coat of primer on the dorado vents, hatches, pilothouse, and cockpit. Nice to finally get that completed so I can move on to the top coat.

My old Seaward 3 burner oven has been bugging me. The burners are rusted and loose, the grate is missing, the igniter does not work, and the oven door hinges are rusted so it does not close properly. Unfortunately the Force 10 ovens are a tiny bit bigger, so I would need to modify my nice benchtops etc to fit them in, so I decided to go with an Eno 2 burner. There is a supplier a few minutes walk from my boat, and when I walked in they offered me the exact model I wanted at 50% off ($750) due to some dents on the back. Perfect !

A glazier turned up to work on the boat next to me, so I asked him to come back and replace the cracked pilothouse window. Will be nice to get that fixed.

A welder from a local marine engineering company came onto the boat today to look at the fresh water tanks. They have accepted the work to cut out the corrosion and weld in new plates, but can't start for 2 weeks. They are slightly more expensive than my previous welders ($70 cash) at $85 plus GST.

I took my old weather worn dodger to the canvas guy to get new zips, beading, and restitching. Quote was $75 which is not bad.

The water blasting yesterday left the deck looking nice, but dislodged a large number of teak plugs, so I can't avoid that issue any longer and will need to buy more and learn a new skill. I also mixed up some epoxy and had a wander around the deck filling cracks and soaking loose plugs to stop things deteriorating further. Now that the deck looks nice I will need to take the time to re-bed a few loose sections.

It is annoying that after spending so much time and money fixing so many problems all I can see is the problems that remain and the imperfections in my work
Old 24-02-2015, 02:04   #320
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:

It is annoying that after spending so much time and money fixing so many problems all I can see is the problems that remain and the imperfections in my work
Finally took the time to read your thread - Absolutely incredible amount of work in such a short time.

Don't worry - Only the mechanic himself sees the flaws.

One thing that strikes me is that this is not for the faint of heart or weak of wallet. Definitely a project fueled by lots of cash (not to mention copious amounts of time not earning a living).

I can attest also that even when you are "done" you aren't done - It's a boat the list is endless...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 04:30   #321

Boat: Beneteau 50

You are really an inspiration! Thank you for sharing all your efforts and accomplishments with us.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:27   #322

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Some years ago my wife and I restored an old Victorian house near Boston. We did most of the work ourselves and frequently were dissatisfied with the imperfections in our results. Then one day we visited some friends who had just paid a large fortune for a brand new house in one of the nicest suburbs. It was immediately clear to us that the quality of our workmanship vastly exceeded the standard applied to our friends' house.

Perhaps if you visit a nearby mega-yacht you will discover your own work to be of much higher quality than you realize.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:07   #323

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
Some years ago my wife and I restored an old Victorian house near Boston. We did most of the work ourselves and frequently were dissatisfied with the imperfections in our results. Then one day we visited some friends who had just paid a large fortune for a brand new house in one of the nicest suburbs. It was immediately clear to us that the quality of our workmanship vastly exceeded the standard applied to our friends' house.

Perhaps if you visit a nearby mega-yacht you will discover your own work to be of much higher quality than you realize.
Great point, S & M, sometimes we're our own worst critics!

Cheers, Homeless,

Ann
Old 24-02-2015, 16:14   #324

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Show us a sharp photo of the finish work and we can tell you if it is up to mega-yacht standards.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 00:19   #325

Definitely not megayacht standard, but as good as many of the tradesmen I have seen working, which is a surprise considering my background is in IT and I have never done anything manual before. I just need it to be good enough to attract a buyer.

I dropped the old bimini off at the canvas guy. Quote to replace is $700 cash which is a lot more than I was expecting, considering the lazy bag was only $900, but it had been patched multiple times and was not worth patching again. The old gas oven was removed and then lowered to the ground on a rope while trying not to scratch the hull paint, but I need to put in new mounts before the new stove is in place.

The glazier came onto the boat, so I rushed to remove the screws and frame from the cracked window, then we levered it out, and while I was grinding off the old paint and sealant he cut some new glass. I painted primer on the frame, let it dry in the sun, then set the glass with sealant front and back. The laminated glass cost $60, but it would have been $160 to get it mounted if I had not done it myself.

When I got the boat the stern had a satellite antenna, HF antenna backstays, two VHF whip antennas, and two GPS antennas. I have spent many hours pulling dead wiring through bulkheads and from under cupboards, but had not had much luck tracing individual coax cables in the bundle that went aft to find out what used them, but today was the day ... I found out that one of the VHF antennas was only for the FM car radio which has trouble even receiving local stations, so I pulled it out along with the cabling. The second VHF antenna was for the AIS receiver that I have not managed to get working, so I pulled it out also along with the cabling. I will put a splitter on the mast-top VHF antenna to support both radio and AIS. One of the GPS antennas services the cockpit chart plotter, so that will stay until the plotter is replaced, but the other one was not connected to anything, but I left it in place as a spare. I also removed the dead wiring from the old HF radio, and finished up putting sealant in all the deck holes left by removed wires, antennas, and bolts.

In the process of tracing wires into the stern I also water blasted the steering room and the stern lazarette, which does not sound very exciting, but makes it a lot more pleasant to work there instead of sitting in pools of oily slimy water.

Spoke to the rigger. Fabricating the new mast step plug to replace the stainless shoe is taking longer than expected, so the mast won't go in next week. I really want to get out of this yard, but with mast stepping, water tank welding, and antifouling paint all in the last few days something is bound to go wrong and cause delays
Old 25-02-2015, 00:33   #326
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Did you mention you are bringing the boat to Asia?

Too bad you are getting the canvas work done in Oz - Those prices are crazy high. That kind of work is dirt cheap here.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 00:47   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Did you mention you are bringing the boat to Asia?

Too bad you are getting the canvas work done in Oz - Those prices are crazy high. That kind of work is dirt cheap here.
I had planned to take the boat up to Malaysia or Thailand and get the work done cheaply, but needed to get some major work done before making such a long trip (sails, engine rebuild, hull welding, antifoul, mast base corrosion, water tank welding ...) and I also needed to wait out the cyclone season so am doing some of the less essential cosmetic work while I am in the yard. Yes it is more expensive than I would have liked, but taking care of cosmetic issues in Australia increases my chances of selling the boat sooner at a higher price.
Old 25-02-2015, 04:34   #328
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Out of curiosity...

I'm wondering where we are on the graph:

Investment

vs.

Realistic return

You picked up the boat for a song, but what do we have in her, and what more do we have earmarked???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 12:58   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Out of curiosity...

I'm wondering where we are on the graph:

Investment

vs.

Realistic return

You picked up the boat for a song, but what do we have in her, and what more do we have earmarked???
Initial price was AU$43,000
Spend to date is about AU$40,000
Aluminium Kanter yachts seem to be listed between $AU$250,000 - 500,000 depending on inventory and condition. (cheapest currently on Yachtworld is about AU$360,000)

If I can believe the list prices, and if I can actually find a buyer, all is good. One factor in the repairs is ... should I do the minimum to fix the problems and list for $250K or should I spend a few thousand more and try for $300K.
Old 25-02-2015, 13:10   #330

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Initial price was AU$43,000
Spend to date is about AU$40,000
Aluminium Kanter yachts seem to be listed between $AU$250,000 - 500,000 depending on inventory and condition. (cheapest currently on Yachtworld is about AU$360,000)

If I can believe the list prices, and if I can actually find a buyer, all is good. One factor in the repairs is ... should I do the minimum to fix the problems and list for $250K or should I spend a few thousand more and try for $300K.
I have been following you. I'm not sure you are legit or spinning a tale. If legit good luck at finding a buyer after tell all the problems with the vessel.

I, myself would not buy something where pin holes need to be welded up.

Pics would be convincing. Hell, my wife can do that and she is not an IT.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule