Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 10:55   #31

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: Bozo the Clown Broke My Rudder

There are "Experts" and then there are Experienced Sailors...
The difference? Experts know everything about one tiny item and thinks they know everything about everything.
Experienced Sailors know their job because they were mentored properly and tow vessels without any damage from their handling of the job.

Towboat captains are great at towing and lousy at most other commercial jobs on the water... And many Work boat captains think that they can tow...
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:58   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

...I'm not sure I would call the tow guy bozo the clown if I was the one who grounded my boat. However on to the repair. Over the years my boats have taught me everything to do with boat repair. I can paint LPU, rebuild most of a diesel and make or adapt a rudder. Give it a try, you'll be a more competent sailor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:08   #33

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Did you have a spade rudder? I've seen three Spade Rudders broken off on sand bars and mud banks...The reason? Because the rudder was not in line of the vessel is being towed or powered off said underwater hazards.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:33   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Raku, if Foss Foam was the last place on earth that could repair or replace rudders, i still would not refer my worst enemy to them. This based on a friend's rudder job that took three months out of the prime season, botched repeatedly by Foss. Be glad you only got voice mail, they didn't like to answer the phone during business hours back then either. (Hint: If a business can't answer the phone, they need more free time, please give it to them.)

Repairing or rebuilding a rudder ain't rocket science but it is a large and painstaking job if done properly, and a problem to come if done improperly. Odds are your rudder itself, not just the rudder post, is damaged and you'll either have to replace the whole thing or entirely rebuild it.

Try calling West Systems/Gougeon Bros., IIRC they've dealt with a custom shop up in Maine that will fabricate rudders. Apparently there aren't many "rudder makers" left in the world.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:40   #35
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

What we need is a wrecking marina where old boats are on the hard and you can call and check for parts. You just KNOW that somewhere there is an old hunter with a keel that would fit your baby...

Does such a thing exist?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53   #36

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
What we need is a wrecking marina where old boats are on the hard and you can call and check for parts. You just KNOW that somewhere there is an old hunter with a keel that would fit your baby...

Does such a thing exist?
Not really, but I've seen a few hundred Katrina boats rotting away in MS boatyards. I'm sure a person could find an appropriate rudder.

Doesn't even really have to be off a hunter. You just need to match the shaft size and the basic dimensions of the rudder. Might handle a little differently, but it shouldn't hurt anything as long as it's installed properly.
Old 06-10-2011, 13:34   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"You just need to match the shaft size and the basic dimensions of the rudder."
Uh-uh. That might work for a simple pintle-hung rudder, but "close" can still result in a very different rudder balance and helm response on anything on a post. And if there's ANY rudder forward of the post--real balance issues. Clearance issues as well, as the rudder is rotated.
Rudders, like beer, are all the same.[sic]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 13:52   #38

Boat: Skookum 53'

One thing about not having a lot of money to spend, it forces you to get creative. There are some good ideas here. Perhaps your friend could help and guide you through the process of repairing your own rudder and then you could add that to your skills.
Old 06-10-2011, 16:12   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Not really, but I've seen a few hundred Katrina boats rotting away in MS boatyards. I'm sure a person could find an appropriate rudder.

Doesn't even really have to be off a hunter. You just need to match the shaft size and the basic dimensions of the rudder. Might handle a little differently, but it shouldn't hurt anything as long as it's installed properly.
Remember...this guy dosn't want to do any mods himself. I had an Olympian 34 with a loser of a rudder. I was given a stock Santa Cruz 50 rudder from Bill Lee of Santa Cruz Yachts. I asked him if he thought it a little large for a 34. He told me to just lob-off a foot. The mods were hole sawing new holes, making a rudder tube and turning some Delrin bearings. It worked great and the vessel has been half way around the world so far...and no rudder issues.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 16:28   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Santana 22

That's too bad... BoatUS has a pretty good reputation in our area.
SailBerkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04   #41

Recognizing that you aren't looking to spend a lot of money, and also recognizing that often times you get what you pay for, you might consider calling an outfit called Rudder Craft. I've used them for a few different things.. in addition to rudders, they also occasionally do some small/one-off/custom work with various materials. You are lucky in that you are in the slow season for these guys. Hellosailor is right.. there aren't too many folks in the rudder manufacturing business these days. But the three companies still around are slow right now... you might be able to find a deal
CapTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder