Guys, I was responding to other posts as I perceived I had not submitted updates to this anymore.
First sorry for all that contributed to it.
Well, so here it goes an update. As I could not stick in Florida
for long, I decided to do the repair myself using West System.
I grinder all part that was damaged and took out almost 1/2 inch in some parts
until I found no more cracked material.
I also confirmed that there was a previous repair in the same area, which was not as well done as I found a lot of filling material, probably epoxy with fiber spheres as it was softer than epoxy itself, and responded to grinding in a different way.
I also removed all this filling material.
After grinding, and acetone cleaning
I started layering fiber and epoxy in overlapping layers following the tension and power vectors applied to the bow.
Instead of the 2 weeks asked by recomended fiberglass
professionals in Ft. Lauderdale, the entire work took me around 4 days.
The major difference is that I worked both during the day and night, as It was in my best interest to finish it and leave Lauderdale north as soon as possible.
I did not hire the expensive high tech tests. My boat is old school
so I kept it to how it was made.
I also did not finish the gel coat in the outside, only painted it white.
I also added layers of fiber and epoxy on the interior
, further reinforcing it as I believe it would have been done when the boat was built.
We left Ft. Lauderdale and sailed to Beaufort
, NC; Norfolk, VA; New York
and finally reached out final destination
We faced 2 bad weather
situations on the way and sailed through it without any problems.
We have been sailing around Boston and went to Maine
for a couple weeks when we had a break from school
The boat has been behaving perfectly and I must say I trust very much the work I have done. It was also great to learn how to work with fiberglass.
Took me time studying it and drafting how I would repair it. It was great learning
and now I feel I am capable of doing other repairs if I need in the future, and so be even more self suficient aboard.
I also ended up with a lot of epoxy and fiber as I found cheaper to buy it in bigger quantity, so I plan on some fiberglass projects.
My wife took some pictures of the repair and I will post it later.
After the winter I will probably do a new bottom paint
and than it might be a good opportunity to refinish the gel coat. But this will be next year.
Sent from my SM-G900M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app