Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Should I Fix This Boat?
That will make a GREAT First Boat with a little effort! 11 91.67%
It's Not Bad and You Might Enjoy it if you like working on boats 0 0%
You are Going to Work Your Tail off and see Little Cruising Time 0 0%
It's a money pit! Dump it on someone else and RUN!! 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 21:14   #1

Bought an Old Boat Today! How Bad Off Am I??

I am totally new to ocean going boats. I've had many lake boats, mostly under 25 feet. I am moving to Florida and have a house on the Channel leading to the gulf with a dock in the back yard. I'm not made of $$, so I bought an old boat to fix up. A 1969 Bertram 25 Sport fisher with twin Chrysler 240's. It has been sitting for a little while but it came with TONS of stuff and it looks like it is in really clean and solid shape. Nothing a little cleaning can't make look a LOT better. It was repowered in 1985 and also restored with new upholstery, some new electronics and new hull paint so really there is not that much work to do. I might have to do some engine work but that's not too hard on a Chrysler 318 engine. It was surveyed in 1985 with glowing praise from the surveyor.I know, I know a 20 year old survey does not mean much, but at least it was in great shape THEN! LOL

The boat came with a EZ Load tri-axle trailer, two new spare props, a new in the bag inflatable dingy with wooden seats, extra canvass, all safety equipement, a 3 foot tall 15 drawer fully stocked tackle box, 12 salt water rod and reel combos (Newell P-477-F's) twin Lee outriggers and pole holders bait box, etc and tons more.

All electronics including Ratheon Radar, Si-Tex Koden C 797 Loran, Marine stereo, Ratheon 1200 radar, Raytheon V-900 depth sounder, Regency Polaris RDF, REgency VHF, REgency HA 440 Hailer, Judson engine synchro and more. Most of the electronics were new in 1985. It is also set up with twin engine gauge set-ups in both upper and lower helm sations.

Boat has sat outside, but under tarp for the last 12 years. I paid $2,500 for everything so I've got a little wiggle room for fixing her up. What do you guys think? How bad off are my ancient electronics????

James427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 21:35   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I am by no means an expert, but I'd say you got a bargain...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:15   #3

Sweet. Was it $2500 for everything, including the boat?

That's an incredible bargain, I believe. The trailer looks practically new.

Bertrams are classics.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:43   #4

The trailer was new in the late 80's. Only one trip on her.
Old 05-08-2008, 22:48   #5

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Very nice, what a good deal . You'll see what deal did you get when you first go for a spin a have to buy some gas for it . I bet ti fill it up will cost you another $2500
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 23:02   #6

LOL, it has 55 gal capacity tanks so it should not be THAT bad! At $3.75 a gallon here is should cost about $200.
Old 06-08-2008, 00:35   #7

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
It looks like a good deal. You can dick around with it for a few years and then give it away and still come out a winner.

Have fun man.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:52   #8

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Don't worry about the electronics. I've spent the past 8 years as a tech in the marine electronics business. All that stuff is easily repairable and usually built solid as rocks. I know the RADAR well as I used to work for the old Raytheon agency here.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:26   #9

Good job, careful lighting things up the first time, maybe work the engines manually a bit and change out all the fluids, run a bit then change again. Check all the rubber, maybe best to replace? PM Chief Engineer for some advice, he's the engine guy here.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:39   #10

You've bought a "classic". During my teenage years, I only thought about one thing more than having a Bertram 25. I got the first thing but not the Bertram.

Here's a whole web site devoted to the club you've now joined:

25Bertram.Com - Bertram Photos, Discussion, Classifieds and More

Don't worry about the electronics. Buy a moderate price modern chartplotter for $500. Forget the radar (at least for now).

Do worry about the fuel tanks and fuel. I believe most Bertrams has a fiberglass tank. Some of those tanks melt when they hit new E10 fuels. I don't know if your Bertram has that problem. Don't mix new fuel with whatever is in that tank. Replace all fuel lines for the same reason.

Replace all hoses that go below the waterline. You don't want it to sink during your first week of ownership.

Good luck

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:03   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Other than the issue Carl mentions about the tanks seems great. It's why Bertram's can be hard to sell and Carl is quite correct about melting the tanks. I've a friend with a Bertram trawler and he is stuck in Virginia as NC and MD don't sell boat fuel without ethanol. He is basically surrounded by a barrier he can't get across.

Looks like a good deal that can clean up well. Buff the hull and add some new canvas and you are out there looking good too. The basic Bertram hull should be solid.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:47   #12

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
congrats what a bargain i dont think you will lose on this one somehow what a lucky bugger have fun
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:03   #13

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
That is a great hull, the trailer looks good, engines should be easy to find someone to work on (if needed) and parts not to bad $ wise. Electronics, use whats good and replace the rest a bit at a time you don't need a whole bunch to get out on the water and enjoy the boat.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43   #14

Thanks guys for the encouragement! So far only one person voted in my pole that I should dump the boat and run. I've been learning so much about the boat in general. I'm very much looking forward to getting to work on her. I signed up for the 25bertram board a few days ago but still have not heard back about being accepted and still can't post over there. Is it an active board or dead in the water so to speak. (punn intended)
Old 07-08-2008, 12:06   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

A good looking boat
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote