Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 04:57   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Bottom Sider cockpit cushion repair

We inherited a custom cockpit cushion set made by Bottom Sider. The company is defunct, otherwise I’d ask them; but after well over a decade of use ours are now developing cracks and deep splits in the exterior coating and foam.

Does anyone know how these can be repaired?

The exterior seems to be some sort of plastic/vinyl coating that is bonded to the closed cell cushion foam. They are incredibly comfortable, and very tough, so I want to find a way to save them.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bottom Sider cockpit cushion repair

You might ask C-Cushion, who make a similar product. I seem to recall that they had a repair procedure/product - however, I didn't see anything on their website.
C Cushions, Inc.
206 Hwy. 35 South
Rockport, Texas 78382
Phone: 361.729.1244
Toll Free: 800.531.1014
Fax: 361.729.1260
Email: ccushions@sbcglobal.net
Web ➥ C Cushions - Custom cockpit cushions for boats

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:11   #3

Thanks Gord, I can’t see anything on their site either, but it does look like the same kind of product, so I’ll ask.

I’m wondering if I can simply fill the holes in with something like 4200 — some sort of flexible goop that has some tenacity. Is this a stupid idea?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:21   #4

I think I'd try silicone before 4200. Seems like it might be more flexible like the foam.? Sticks tenaciously too.
Nice Sunbrella covers would be great but expensive I suppose. But that foam is nice because it doesn't soak in water.

I put white silicone on these dishware in 1984, before sailing to Mexico, as non slip for the boat. Here it is today... 35 years later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (3).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	195686  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think I'd try silicone before 4200. Seems like it might be more flexible like the foam.? Sticks tenaciously too.
Nice Sunbrella covers would be great but expensive I suppose. But that foam is nice because it doesn't soak in water.

I put white silicone on these dishware in 1984, before sailing to Mexico, as non slip for the boat. Here it is today... 35 years later!
Thanks. I guess 4200 is a bit of overkill. It’s just what I have on hand… but a decent silicon might be a better idea.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22   #6

Boat: Fantasia 35

They show a $20 repair kit here: C Cushions - Custom cockpit cushions for boats
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:31   #7

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I would love to have my Bottomsiders refinished also, but no clue how to accomplish it.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:09   #8

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We inherited a custom cockpit cushion set made by Bottom Sider. The company is defunct, otherwise I’d ask them; but after well over a decade of use ours are now developing cracks and deep splits in the exterior coating and foam.

Does anyone know how these can be repaired?

The exterior seems to be some sort of plastic/vinyl coating that is bonded to the closed cell cushion foam. They are incredibly comfortable, and very tough, so I want to find a way to save them.

Hi Mike

We have had C Cushions for decades and they can be returned for recoating. We have done that a couple of times but they do shrink slightly.

I do not know of anything that could be used to repair the large cracks in the surfacing.

I would call the guys at C Cushions in Texas and ask them if they could recoat Bottom Siders.

After years and being miles away from the US we finally resorted to make covers for them out of Pifertex and that extended the life of the cushions.

Good Luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
French Polynesia
Old 10-07-2019, 11:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
They show a $20 repair kit here: C Cushions - Custom cockpit cushions for boats
Thanks Viking. That’s perfect.

I may try the silicon idea on a small spot to see if it works, but if not I’ll order this kit. These cushions really are great.

chouliha, yours came in just as I was typing … Getting them re-coated would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:00   #10

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

I am familiar wth these cushions, yes they are very comfortable. Unfortunately it's the foam that is cracking, all closed cell foam will do that eventually when left in the sun. To keep the comfort and make them look nice, simply have someone make you some cushion covers, if you use a quick drying fabric on the tops and a mesh on the bottoms i think you will be happy. But warning, if using non marine grade fabrics, keep them out of the sun and weather when not in use.
I am a professional seamstress who specializes in marine canvas, have made many cushions, I like fabric. But perhaps if you really don't want to cover them, try painting then with elastomeric roof coating, that will fill the cracks and seal them, also it's a paint designed for abuse, used on roofs. Try that, then if you don't like the results, have them covered with fabric.
I personally used elastomeric roof coating on an old live aboard boat to seal the decks. I got the idea from a girlfriend who did the same to her old wood boat that was never going to sail again.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:28   #11

Thanks trimarannaga, that sounds like a plan. See how much I learn here… I’ve never even heard of “elastomeric roof coatings”.

Old 10-07-2019, 14:09   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Thanks trimarannaga, that sounds like a plan. See how much I learn here… I’ve never even heard of “elastomeric roof coatings”.

[emoji2]
The options are mounting, Mike...
I would try Shoe Goo before silicone... If fi0xes running shoes so it may work. If not you have something for your old shoes...[emoji106]
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 15:03   #13

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:

Also known as Acrylic Waterproofing available in most hardware stores. Choose one suitable for UV exposure though as some are not
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 13:23   #14

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Quote:
Thanks Viking. That’s perfect.

I may try the silicon idea on a small spot to see if it works, but if not I’ll order this kit. These cushions really are great.

chouliha, yours came in just as I was typing … Getting them re-coated would be great. Thanks.
Mike;

I have the same cushions and problem. I've just spoken to Bill the owner at C Cushions, a nice and helpful man.

I ordered a repair kit to test on the cracking I have.

He told me that he can recoat Bottom Sider cushions at half the cost of new at that they would shrink a bit in the process.

I'll report the degree of success of the repair kit.
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 14:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
Mike;

I have the same cushions and problem. I've just spoken to Bill the owner at C Cushions, a nice and helpful man.

I ordered a repair kit to test on the cracking I have.

He told me that he can recoat Bottom Sider cushions at half the cost of new at that they would shrink a bit in the process.

I'll report the degree of success of the repair kit.
Thanks. That would be great. I’m proceeding with a combination of silicon and Liquid FlexSeal which is a vinyl spray on repair goop. It seems to seal the small holes and surface OK, but doesn’t fill in the voids. So I’m using the silicon for that. It’s in the curing process. I’ll report back in a few days.

Tags
cockpit