Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2018, 06:19   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Bottom Painting - Length of time vs Water temp

G'morning all!

Seems so basic... Am I correct that the temperature of the water has a more or less indirect impact on the length of time that bottom paint will last?

In Florida, we're accustomed to hauling and redoing bottom paint every two to three years. Hulls get dived and cleaned every month but, in the summer months when water temps are highest, the algae and barnacle growth is much faster. Are boats in cooler water where algae and barnacle activity is slower getting longer periods between bottom jobs?

We're planning to retire in three years. At that point, we're going to travel up the east coast in the warmer months and back down in the winter. Snow birds. Snow water birds. Are we correct in thinking that if we are in cooler water and still have the hull cleaned monthly, we may be able to go longer between bottom jobs? Perhaps five years? More?

Thanks.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 06:52   #2

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Bottom Painting - Length of time vs Water temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
G'morning all!

Seems so basic... Am I correct that the temperature of the water has a more or less indirect impact on the length of time that bottom paint will last?

In Florida, we're accustomed to hauling and redoing bottom paint every two to three years. Hulls get dived and cleaned every month but, in the summer months when water temps are highest, the algae and barnacle growth is much faster. Are boats in cooler water where algae and barnacle activity is slower getting longer periods between bottom jobs?

We're planning to retire in three years. At that point, we're going to travel up the east coast in the warmer months and back down in the winter. Snow birds. Snow water birds. Are we correct in thinking that if we are in cooler water and still have the hull cleaned monthly, we may be able to go longer between bottom jobs? Perhaps five years? More?

Thanks.

John
John, if you notice, the necessity of cleaning your seawater strainers is less frequent in the winter, even in FL
You diver should be able to give you some guidance for the condition of the bottom paint. I think it would be a real stretch to wait 5 years. I would recommend every 2 years and 2 coats. IF you elect to try and stretch it 3 years, that is your decision.
Old 19-01-2018, 10:48   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
Am I correct that the temperature of the water has a more or less indirect impact on the length of time that bottom paint will last?
You are not correct. An anti fouling paint's effective lifespan is 100% determined by the amount of biocide in the paint and the rate at which that biocide is designed to be released into the water. Water temperature plays little or no part in this. Further, most anti fouling paints are formulated to perform well for around three years, give or take. Five years is an unrealistic expectation, regardless of where you do your boating.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 11:01   #4

Boat: Boatless

We spent 6 years sailing between the northern US and the Caribbean...We painted the bottom every two years.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 15:34   #5

The worst growth rate of all sorts of stuff (I observed) on boat bottoms was at Hout Bay in South Africa. Very cold water, but extremely rapid weed and barnacle growth.
I suspect that if the water environment changes regularly (e.g. fresh to saline, cold to warm), then the environmental changes will sort out many organisms.
If you want to become an instant zillionaire, discover and market a safe antifouling alternative with a guaranteed life of ten or more years.
What I have noticed that sometimes you may see a particular rock or sand that has no apparent growth on it. Interesting. How come?
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint, water