Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 15:15   #61

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Re: Bottom Paint Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
When I bought the boat, it had been out of the water for 2 years.
I think I looked at your boat while I was shopping. It was on the hard in Oakland? The only thing that kept me from buying was the distances involved. Nice boat, good to see if fell into good hands.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:26   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
I think I looked at your boat while I was shopping. It was on the hard in Oakland? The only thing that kept me from buying was the distances involved. Nice boat, good to see if fell into good hands.
Thanx...It was in Alameda, right next to Oakland. The engine was the clincher. Would not rotate 360...only 350 then stop dead. Turned out to be carbon but I rebuilt it anyways. Yes...turned out to be a good boat for me...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 18:27   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe
OP, here is some first hand recent experience:

Just had this done in Marmaris, Turkey. Two men each with a paint scraper scraped off 8 coats of Micron66 and the barrier coat in 2 days. Each swipe of the scrapper took most everything off down to the gel coat. Then 1 1/2 day using an electric sander and the job was complete to come back with new barrier coat then Micron77.

Our boat is a 16m (53') ketch with a mod wing keel and skegged rudder. This should help you in determining how long it will take. Be sure that who ever does this work wear protective clothing and a good respirator.

If you have any blistering in the gel coat, this process will make the blisters obvious. Be sure to repair the blistering and also be sure to buy a good barrier coat...really stupid to pinch a penny on barrier coat, but I know some who have done this...freakiing nuts!

You will get lots of opinions on brands and types of antifouling. You generally will get what you pay for, and I have found most complaints about antifouling come from people who take shortcuts in preparation, etc.

Bill
I had the same experience. I scraped my whole bottom in two days, no tenting needed, just lay down a tarp. This is absolutely the cheapest and easiest way to do this job as long as there is hard, dry paint on the bottom. Most of it will come right off perfectly to the gel coat. I only had difficulty with the 6 inches or so above the water line.

If there are years of soft paint build up, you will have to sand, but my thoughts there are, why not just do nothing, and the paint will remove itself over time while the boat is in the water?? That is the point of soft paint.
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 05:25   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
I had the same experience. I scraped my whole bottom in two days, no tenting needed, just lay down a tarp. This is absolutely the cheapest and easiest way to do this job as long as there is hard, dry paint on the bottom. Most of it will come right off perfectly to the gel coat. I only had difficulty with the 6 inches or so above the water line.

If there are years of soft paint build up, you will have to sand, but my thoughts there are, why not just do nothing, and the paint will remove itself over time while the boat is in the water?? That is the point of soft paint.
The issue is as the ablative paint is worn out it doesn't wear evenly and the hard critters can take hold.

We have two colors on ours. A lighter blue and navy on top. We sand the navy off (most all of it) and ensure we are not getting too much build up over time.

I let it go a bit far this time but this is Micron extra after 26 months or so. You can see the light blue (and even some white) between the waterline and the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120825062504_p68.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	47145  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint