Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 13:02   #1

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Bottom Paint in Lake Worth - South Florida

Hi,

In October 2013, I painted the bottom of my 1993 34' Catamaran with 3/2 coats (waterline/hull) of Micron 66. Prep included pressure wash, light sanding, and heavy sanding in damaged areas. There was no general paint damage of the previous coats although there must have been more than 10 coats applied - all was ablative coat and in many places the paint was worn to a red flash paint I applied in 2009. It was a normal paint job.

By Jun 1994, much of the waterline paint had flaked off back to the original gel coat. The newly applied paint was stuck fast to the underlying paint on the rest of the hull, but where I had applied 3 waterline coats, it was flaking off.

I contacted International Marine. Their local represented visited the boat at the yard I had contracted to do the paint job, advised on removal of the Micron 66 and GAVE ME 3 GALLONS of replacement paint. I don't know what paint they supplied, only that the yard charged me $100/gallon to receive the paint from International.

The representative from International Marine supervised the work to prepare the surface for the paint gift - a project that took nearly $1,000 of additional prep.

The paint job looked unacceptable, there was still significant signs of areas where the paint had flaked off, although it appears they did feather the edges. I had approved priming $$$ for the paint flaked to the waterline, but apparently the representation from International didn't feel it was necessary.

Now, just under a month later, the newly applied paint is covered entirely with marine slime except in the areas where the rudders attached. Those areas are covered with barnacles and marine growth. Clearly the new paint from International has failed to keep ahead of Lake Worth, even though the boat is anchored in an area with 2 to 3 knot current and clear water for much of the tide.

I see no choice but to pull the boat, finish the preparation as it should have been done, and apply another coat.

The questions: What paint should I apply that will last at least a year in Lake Worth, Florida?

Thank you.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 14:18   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Bottom Paint in Lake Worth - South Florida

Pettit Trinidad. But its a hard paint, so you may have to remove all your ablative paint.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 14:33   #3

Look at sea hawk, we have used it three times getting three years out of it. Use the one with the biocop in it. It is manufactured in clearwater, fl.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 15:39   #4
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I am using Petit Vivid and am not having much luck with it. After maybe 1.5 years the paint's antifouling properties on half of the hull is awful and the rest is just bad. My brother had good luck with Sea Hawk Cukote (with the biocide). If I had to start from a barrier coat I would use Trinidad. We just put a few coats of Trinidad on my old man's boat and it is working great.

I am due for a haul out and will most likely use the Sea Hawk. I just don't have the energy to remove the ablative paint and go modified epoxy.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 16:53   #5

Boat: csy 37

I've been using Pettit Trinidad since I came to Florida in the '70's. Have gotten up to five years when I was in South Florida, maybe four now that I'm in Central Florida.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 16:55   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

It's amazing to me that you would allow a paint to be applied without even asking what product it was.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

We have two boats moored in Lake Worth and have had very good success with Petit Ultima SR 80. Lasts up to 3 years so far. Tis pricey at ~$300/can and we usually do 2-3 coats. Still, particularly in summertime and even in the strong current, there will be slime and some persistent barnacles. We probably do light scraping bi-weekly in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25   #8

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Do you have a Diver clean the bottom every few months ?
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:49   #9

Boat: Leopard 40
Bottom Paint in Lake Worth - South Florida

No we always do the cleaning of the bottom, usually at high slack tide because of the current. But many around us pay someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 15:03   #10

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Slime is very difficult to control and may not be affected by anti fouling compounds. Some slime are Algal some filamentous such as Ulothrix some diatomaceous forms. Many may actually develop an "anti-anti fouling compound of their own. Unfortunately the best way to get rid of them may be by scraping them off when they become ornery. Most bottom paints are not particularly effective in keeping them off.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 15:13   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Scraping" any growth off is not the best way to maintain your anti fouling paint. If it requires scraping, you have waited too long to clean it.
Old 05-10-2014, 15:23   #12

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I agree with you so I use a firm sponge like product on a long handle and I have never seen much paint come off with the slime. You appear to be in the business, what do you suggest?
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 15:34   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I agree with you so I use a firm sponge like product on a long handle and I have never seen much paint come off with the slime. You appear to be in the business, what do you suggest?
I suggest you always clean your hull with the softest media possible. This is the way to make your anti fouling paint perform well throughout its lifespan, as well as extending its lifespan. But doing this means means cleaning before the bottom becomes even moderately foul.
Old 05-10-2014, 20:46   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I suggest you always clean your hull with the softest media possible. This is the way to make your anti fouling paint perform well throughout its lifespan, as well as extending its lifespan. But doing this means means cleaning before the bottom becomes even moderately foul.
That would require most of the boats in St. Augustine to be cleaned every 3 or 4 days. We use Trinidad SR while most of the other boats do not and we still have significant slime at the water line after 2 or 3 days. We are considered a "good" bottom by most of our fellow boats.

The trick is actually getting out and sailing the boat, which seems to slow the growth.

I agree that using a sponge at the waterline every few days would help a lot.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 20:55   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bottom Paint in Lake Worth - South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
That would require most of the boats in St. Augustine to be cleaned every 3 or 4 days.
Whatever. Just telling you what the reality of hull cleaning and the fouling progression is.

Tags
bottom paint, florida, lake worth, paint