Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 13:55   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Bottom Paint Costs

When I checked the prices for a gallon of bottom paint I almost fainted. I am wondering if there is an outlet that is more reasonable than others fort Petit Trinidad?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 14:00   #2

Boat: Cascade
I paid 120 CAD for interlux
Old 08-10-2009, 19:54   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There are some discount chandleries or you can try on the internet. It might even be worth a trip done the DEFENDER in NYC/Long Island to get a better price. On average the price of anti-foulant per gallon bounces around $200 on discount and up to $300 retail. For sailing in New England, Trinidad does not work very well so ask around for references on was other folks are using. If the boat is kept out of the water during the winter then you need a paint that will not oxidize and stop working next season.
If you have a good friend in the boatyard business that can probably get you 25% or so off retail. The normal retail mark up on bottom paint is 100% from wholesale. Places like Defender can know 25% off the retail and still make good money.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47   #4

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I've been buying interlux at a marine supply outlet at $95 gal down here in the swamp.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 13:12   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
I've been buying interlux at a marine supply outlet at $95 gal down here in the swamp.
Interlux what? Interlux bottom paint ranges from $100 to $300 per gallon depending on the type. A modified epoxy is a lot cheaper than the top of the line ablative.
Old 09-10-2009, 13:16   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
and there are places like Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale that will sell dented and outdated cans along with weird colors for a fraction of the retail prices. If you don't mind a madras style bottom you can save some serious money.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 13:21   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Ameron has some good bottom paints at about half the price, about $100 a gallon. It's mostly a commercial supplier so not many places stock it. Another more reasonable cost paint is SuperShipBottom at about $130 a gallon. I have used both and prefer the Ameron. These are both ablative paints as opposed to the hard Trinidad. If your boat is out of the water for half the year (like mine) an ablative is preferred.
Old 09-10-2009, 16:34   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Now c'mon - we all know the most expensive is probably the best!

When I buy mine it is always the most expensive Interlux and I always give 50 dollar's notes to all people who happen to be in the shop!

Actually, I started considering moving the waterline another 15 inches up and giving her 4 coats rather than just 2 - but I understand everybody who scrooges on his bottom paint - my boat is very small and it costs me only USD 5k to paint her every half a year.

If you have a bigger boat or you paint more often, price may become an issue.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 21:08   #9

Boat: Cascade
I was incorrect it was $220 gal for interlux Micron CRS in Vancouver
Old 11-10-2009, 22:22   #10

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
I agree with the Ameron ablative. Lasts very well in southern waters. Started out a few years ago at around AU150, and is now closer to AU200. I gues they got into the market and saw they could ratchet the price up because people like it. It's the best anti-fouling I've used in these parts, but in general I agree with price being at least a guide. The very cheapest of anti-foulings will have lettuces growing on them in a couple of months.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54   #11

Thanks to all who posted, I took a look at the sea Hawk paints, anyone have any experience with their AF-33 ablative??? $85.00 per gallon.
Old 28-10-2009, 19:38   #12

Price of the paint has ZERO to do with it. Every single place that you put a boat has different aspects that come into play...i.e. Powerplants, sewage outlets, natural growth. That is the main factor. At the Dock where (close to the shore) my boat is I use the cheap CPP Plus as do most of the others there...nobody has a problem. The boats moored in the center of and at the mouth of the harbor all get plastered with everything.

The factor is: there is a outlet pipe from a sewer plant discharges toward the end of the marina which tends to flow out to the center and wrapp out to the mouth.

Old timers used the crappy Bottomshield for years in next door Bridgeport harbor...They were moved up to New Haven Harbor (Steel Point Project) and the stuff just dosen't work there.

If you have the patience and the money you can spend the time figuring out what works in your surroundings or you can ask and look at what people have going that works with your enviroment.

With that said, for extreme conditions (where nothing seems to work) Micron 66 has always been a paint that I have not seen conquered by growth. The downside is the price and please please be careful when sanding it.....I went to the emergency room several years ago after a day of removal...Worst headache I can remember.

The sea and everything in it is unpredictable...do a little research with your dock boats and you will save yourself alot of frustrastion.

Good Luck,

Pat
Penfield Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 06:44   #13

Good post Pat!

Tags
bottom paint