Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2016, 08:24   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Bottom Paint Choices - PPG, Interlux, Petit

I am looking at a few choices in bottom paints. Currently my boat has an unknown to me brand of ablative paint and it is definitely time for a bottom job. I am hauling out anyway, so now is the time.

My plans are going to be Caribbean sailing for the next few years, so that will be my area. I have a few questions. What is best for the Caribbean, hard or ablative? I know that since I have ablative now, when I haul out it may be more difficult to switch to a hard paint.

I have narrowed it down to either:

-PPG ABC3, which I have seen on another boat in my marina that just got painted two months ago. I love the look of the paint and it seems to do a great job.

-Interlux Micron CSC, which I have only heard from numerous people around the marina that seem to be very pleased, the only paint they use, etc., etc.

-Petit Trinidad, which seems to be the going norm on the forums, as well as the resident guru diver on the forums seems to swear by this paint as the most basic well performing paint. It is hard though, so I am unsure if I can make the switch.

Any thoughts?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 08:38   #2

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982
Re: Bottom Paint Choices - PPG, Interlux, Petit

BOTTOM paint , This is Lee Nicholas Morgan 384 in Tarpon Springs , Take your caliber to the bahamas have her hauled out and have the Paint thats outlawed here put on. It lasts years compaired to Trindad now . Now the Old Trindad with the tin in it was quality Thats the stuff they have its not outlawed there !
I use Sea Hawk on my boat here in Tarpon Springs
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 08:39   #3

Boat: jeanneau 39i

spent 9 years in Caribbean and tried a number of high priced bottom paints. The best one by far was ABC3. Lasted 3 plus years. Worst was Micro 66
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 08:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've used Micron Extra in SF Bay and Kona. Goes 3 plus years with occasional cleaning.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 08:47   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Dabs,
Everyone has their favorites but I use only Petit products for all my painting needs. When our boat was in the Tropics for ten years, we used Petit Hydroclean which was replaced with Aquaclean- an ablative paint. On a properly sanded/faired bottom, we used two coats applied with a 3/16 nap roller.
It lasted about 18 months, with monthly scrubbings, before it needed to be repainted. Currently, we are in Lake Michigan with a 5-6 month season where monthly scrubbings are unnecessary and the paint has lasted over 5 years with some minor touchups in high friction/turbulence areas. We are heading South in the Spring again and will travel with our existing paint and ,once in Florida, switch to Petit Vivid which is a hybrid technology of ablative and hard finish which we have used with outstanding results on our rudder for the last 5 years. I would never use a hard paint again(ie; Trinidad) since, I believe, the newer technology paints are superior. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 29-09-2016, 08:59   #6

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

" Blue Ocean " is ablative , is made to ward off both Plant life and Live creatures . been on our Seawind cat for two years and have had only 3 or 4 simple cleanings . I didn't put anything on folding props which in hind site was a mistake , anyone have prop solution ? for next hall out .
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:16   #7

Bahamas Sea Hawk, best for sure. Only 2 bottom jobs in 6 years.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:22   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mark View Post
" Blue Ocean " is ablative , is made to ward off both Plant life and Live creatures . been on our Seawind cat for two years and have had only 3 or 4 simple cleanings . I didn't put anything on folding props which in hind site was a mistake , anyone have prop solution ? for next hall out .

David,
We used this system with great success in the Tropics. Good luck and safe sailing. http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...ntifouling.pdf
Old 29-09-2016, 09:23   #9

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mark View Post
If you aren't moving a lot....Pantyhose do a good job but must be installed and removed. I also just spoke with an owner here who is having good results with PropGlop which can be applied underwater. He said two applications did the trick for him.

I put Petit NT on the bottom in November and am happy with it to date. YMMV.
Old 29-09-2016, 09:31   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

There was a Marine policeman who lived on his powerboat all summer on Long Island. He never moved the boat except to haul and launch it. I once asked him how the bottom stayed so clean and he told me that he used Micron. He told me that he only painted the bottom every five years.

The cheap paint I had been using was about 1/3 of the Micron price, but I was painting every spring. I did the math.

Now I keep Skylark in the IJsselmeer in Holland which is fresh water, but I sail in salt water whenever I make my summer cruise. Seems that going from fresh to salt back to fresh also helps keep critters off her bottom.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Not sure the "outlaw" paint is still available. The Sea Hawk guy went to jail a while back and I believe his hoard of TBT was confiscated. I have not seen and TBT paint for sale in the Bahamas the last 2 years, but possibly some yard have some.
Old 29-09-2016, 09:40   #12
elk

I applied two coats of Super Ship Bottom two years ago. When hauled this spring it could have waited another year. This time I'm going for three. My boat is in Buzzards Bay and never leaves the water, except to paint, of course.
It claims to have a very high copper content.
QUOTE=DDabs;2223816]I am looking at a few choices in bottom paints. Currently my boat has an unknown to me brand of ablative paint and it is definitely time for a bottom job. I am hauling out anyway, so now is the time.

My plans are going to be Caribbean sailing for the next few years, so that will be my area. I have a few questions. What is best for the Caribbean, hard or ablative? I know that since I have ablative now, when I haul out it may be more difficult to switch to a hard paint.

I have narrowed it down to either:

-PPG ABC3, which I have seen on another boat in my marina that just got painted two months ago. I love the look of the paint and it seems to do a great job.

-Interlux Micron CSC, which I have only heard from numerous people around the marina that seem to be very pleased, the only paint they use, etc., etc.

-Petit Trinidad, which seems to be the going norm on the forums, as well as the resident guru diver on the forums seems to swear by this paint as the most basic well performing paint. It is hard though, so I am unsure if I can make the switch.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:41   #13

SeaHawk; KuCote; Five years in the water between bottom jobs in Southwest Florida and very happy. I think the stuff is made with waste material from the local reactor cause I haven't see a barnacle years. LOL
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:52   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

You must be moored in the tailings pond as 5 years and no barnacles in Florida is pretty much unbelievable. Trinidad pro develops barnacles here in Salt Run about 4 months after launching. Maybe has something to do with all the oyster beds around.
Old 29-09-2016, 09:58   #15

pirate Re: Bottom Paint Choices - PPG, Interlux, Petit

We do work at keeping our bottom clean, but I could never figure that barnacles glow in the dark ! LOL That stuff is made up by you and it works..Somebody should mention proper prep too.
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, Interlux, paint