Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2016, 08:13   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Bottom Paint Blisters

What causes "bottom paint blisters" when bottom paints are stated to be compatible? There is no underlying failure of the hull laminate with blisters. The blisters are very small and in the paint. Thanks, Rognvald
Old 15-10-2016, 08:30   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Bottom Paint Blisters

Carrier solvent in the new paint interacts with whatever is pre-existing.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 08:34   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Can you provide more specific information? It sounds like you're talking about a top coat or coats of bottom paint applied over existing older bottom paint, and that the new paint is blistering on top of the old paint, and that the old paint is intact under the blister. Also, what form does the blister take? Is it an actual raised blister, or is the paint simply coming off?

What was the old paint and what is the new paint? How was the surface prepared?

If you know for certain that the old paint and the new paint are compatible (and that does not mean in terms of types of paint but actual manufacturers' stated compatability), sounds like a preparation issue or what Illusion said.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 10:15   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Can you provide more specific information? It sounds like you're talking about a top coat or coats of bottom paint applied over existing older bottom paint, and that the new paint is blistering on top of the old paint, and that the old paint is intact under the blister. Also, what form does the blister take? Is it an actual raised blister, or is the paint simply coming off?

What was the old paint and what is the new paint? How was the surface prepared?

If you know for certain that the old paint and the new paint are compatible (and that does not mean in terms of types of paint but actual manufacturers' stated compatability), sounds like a preparation issue or what Illusion said.
Suijin,
I originally had a paint adhesion problem in two small areas on my starboard hull along the waterline about ten years ago. I sanded/removed the existing Petit Aquaclean and two previous layers of Trinidad to the original gelcoat with Blisterbloc. The surface was clean with no blisters. I then applied a coat of Petit Tie Coat Primer #6627 to help feather the paint into the surrounding paint film and recoated with two coats of Petit Aquaclean. Two years ago the paint needed to be retouched and since the Aquaclean was no longer available, I used Petit Hydrocoat Ablative on a properly sanded surface. When I hauled the boat yesterday, there were 15-20 small blisters about 1/8" or less in diameter. I popped them with a pick and fluid emerged. However, they appeared to be in the paint film rather than in the substrata. I am going to remove the paint in the area next week and take a closer look. Petit said the two paints were perfectly compatible. Any more thoughts? Thanks, Rognvald
Old 16-10-2016, 13:47   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Suijin,
I originally had a paint adhesion problem in two small areas on my starboard hull along the waterline about ten years ago. I sanded/removed the existing Petit Aquaclean and two previous layers of Trinidad to the original gelcoat with Blisterbloc. The surface was clean with no blisters. I then applied a coat of Petit Tie Coat Primer #6627 to help feather the paint into the surrounding paint film and recoated with two coats of Petit Aquaclean. Two years ago the paint needed to be retouched and since the Aquaclean was no longer available, I used Petit Hydrocoat Ablative on a properly sanded surface. When I hauled the boat yesterday, there were 15-20 small blisters about 1/8" or less in diameter. I popped them with a pick and fluid emerged. However, they appeared to be in the paint film rather than in the substrata. I am going to remove the paint in the area next week and take a closer look. Petit said the two paints were perfectly compatible. Any more thoughts? Thanks, Rognvald
If they are isolated to the new paint only then Illusion's guess works for me. Sounds from your description that the Hydrocoat went on top of the Blisterbloc, which is not a product I'm familiar with, and that the blisters are in the Hydrocoat and not the tie coat primer, so I would assume the blisters stem from an issue with the original application (specifically exceeding the topcoat application window.) but that's nothing more than a wild guess.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters, bottom paint, paint