Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 06:06   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Bottom Paint Bio Additive

One of the great Conspiracy Theories is all the bottom paint companies holding back on some secret, cheap, ingredient... Chili powder, or Paprika, nutmeg maybe...
At $300 per gallon there is a large profit margin and plenty of competition. There wouldn't be any benefit of adding to the paint.... Unless its an ingredient marked Not For Sale in the USA because of environmental concerns.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:08   #17

Boat: Endeavour 43

This is the magic ingredient for slime control in top of the line bottom paints.

http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/BIO...neproducts.htm

Zinc Omadine
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:14   #18

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Read the label on R****Up, looks like it would kill people purty good.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:43   #19

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Read the label on R****Up, looks like it would kill people purty good.

If bottom paint did not kill something, its not doing its job
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:14   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I was a little troubled by the prefix "Bio-" hanging loose in the title and found repeated in other posts. I'm assuming everyone is assuming this is "biocide".
I'm not convinced of the effective result of any user mixed additive, though I did add some copper-oxide to some bottom paint years ago with no way to measure the result. It has been a common practice among some shrimpers in the southeast US, for many decades, to add cayenne pepper or some variety of "hot sauce" to their bottom paint.
Yes..."bio" technically means biography but it seems to be a short used by the industry to infer a biocide such as Seahawk calling their additive "bio-boost".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Tetracycline has been found to leach rapidly from painted surfaces and degrade quickly in seawater. The concentrations released were insufficient to cause any deleterious effects on marine organisms, including those responsible for fouling boat hulls.
Tetracycline in antifouling paints | ResearchGate

However, you barnacles may be acne-free.
Gord...thank you for your exhaustive research..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
This is the magic ingredient for slime control in top of the line bottom paints.

Marine Products

Zinc Omadine
Interesting article
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:55   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Tetracyclene is an anti-biotic. Indiscriminant and widespread administration of these products has caused a blossoming of bacteria that are resistant to it's effects. Little inconveniences like Tuberculosis are making a comeback because of the overuse these compounds.

Several years ago, there was a claim that super hot chili powder added to bottom paint was very effective. We're not talking the common chili powder but stuff that is 1,000s of times more potent. Kind of like a super bear repellant for bottom clinging creatures. Anyone heard any definitive proof whether the chili additive works or not.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:39   #22

Maybe when I do my bottom, I will take a piece of sheet metal, paint strips of botom paint on it and try various additives to each strip. Say, one strip just bottom paint, another with the bear repellant in it, round-up on another and so on. Maybe if we can find a few others, it would be helpful. I could put it in the water for 3 months, then 6 months and see what the results are.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-01-2013, 16:39   #23

Boat: csy 37

gord may -

well, if that research is correct, then my only explanation for my success is that pettit trinidad is even better than i always thought....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 16:45   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Maybe when I do my bottom, I will take a piece of sheet metal, paint strips of botom paint on it and try various additives to each strip.

Take a lot of photos, write it up, sell it to Practical Sailor (tell us about it for free first).
Old 06-01-2013, 17:16   #25

No... not PS...only here. I'm hauling the end of May, so will report on it the beginning of September.
Old 06-01-2013, 22:00   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
I was told that all the bottom paint was now no more than 60% copper as mandated by a California government body.
Not true. There is no government mandate, law or decree that has changed the allowable amount of copper in anti fouling paints in California. Not that there won't be someday, but there isn't currently.

Quote:
Luckily, they still had a few gallons of Pettit Trinidad. But not with the SR additive (Slime reduction).
Pettit Trinidad has been reformulated. New copper content; 60%. Less copper but processed in a new way to be more effective at lower concentrations. I have found no difference in performance between the old and new Trinidad. Still the best stuff out there, IMHO.

Quote:
I was told that Seahawk made a "Bio Boost" that could be added to the bottom paint.
The Sea Hawk additive is trubutyl tin. Illegal for sale or use in the U.S.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 22:03   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Several years ago, there was a claim that super hot chili powder added to bottom paint was very effective. We're not talking the common chili powder but stuff that is 1,000s of times more potent. Kind of like a super bear repellant for bottom clinging creatures. Anyone heard any definitive proof whether the chili additive works or not.
If chili powder of any kind was an effective anti fouling paint ingredient, the shelves of every West Marine would be filled with chili powder paint. But they aren't, because chili powder is a wive's tale.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 00:43   #28

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
If copper works, what stops someone from blending micro copper powder into the paint and blending it in?

One pound, $28.00. Lists uses as a product to be mixed in paints.

Fifth one down on page.

http://shop.chemicalstore.com/naviga...=copper+powder

Mix this into a $35 gallon can of marine rustrolium and you might have something.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17   #29

Boat: Lagoon 440

I remember a similar thread to this a while ago, i have to agree if there was a magic pill it would be available to us at every chandlery, some types work better in different waters.

Local by-laws can crush the use of 'just any' anti-fouls, in Australia you cannot buy Tin based nor copper because of the shellfish industry oysters etc..

I have noticed that different colours of anti foul attract growth differently at least in hot tropical waters.

Had a chemist mate dump all his out of date tetracycline into the anti foul to no avail.

Be careful adding water based additives eg Round-up etc to oil based paints......
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
If copper works, what stops someone from blending micro copper powder into the paint and blending it in?

One pound, $28.00. Lists uses as a product to be mixed in paints.

Fifth one down on page.

http://shop.chemicalstore.com/naviga...=copper+powder

Mix this into a $35 gallon can of marine rustrolium and you might have something.

Because I believe the paint has to act as both a binder and something that allows the copper to be exposed.

But there are systems like Coppercoat that is copper in an expoy paint.

Tags
bottom paint, paint