Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 11:55   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Bottom Paint Bio Additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Maybe when I do my bottom, I will take a piece of sheet metal, paint strips of botom paint on it and try various additives to each strip.................
In 1984 a student of mine submitted a science project that was completed by wieghting a six foot long wood panel under water in an area with prolific barnacle growth. The entire board was painted with Petit Trinidad bottom paint, but segments had different additives including cayenne pepper, litium grease, mercuric oxide, additional cupric oxide, and various other materials such as insecticides, etc. ,- I don't recall them all; however, I do recall the results. Only two of the additives had a lesser density of barnacle and other growth than the Petit Trinidad control panel. The mercuric oxide panel was almost completely absent of any growth and the litium grease coated panel had little growth. Certainly the mercuric oxide would be unethical to use as well as illegal and the grease coat of any kind would be less likely to adhere with an operating vessel.
Old 07-01-2013, 17:51   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=CaptForce;Certainly the mercuric oxide would be unethical to use as well as illegal and the grease coat of any kind would be less likely to adhere with an operating vessel.[/QUOTE]
I have often thought that I could coat my prop with something like this by adding it to a wax while melted and paint it on hot, letting it cool to a solid.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 21:45   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
I have often thought that I could coat my prop with something like this by adding it to a wax while melted and paint it on hot, letting it cool to a solid.
Which is the "something like this"? The HgO is a dangerous toxin that has been very harmful to organisms including people. Read about the "Minimata disaster". It has no use unless it is applied with the purpose of leaching into the environment and illegal for just cause. If you're speaking of the grease coating; then, the process of making it a hard solid would eliminate the feature that prevented barnacles from adhering.
Old 07-01-2013, 22:19   #34

Actually I was thinking about the Seahawk additive..."Bio Boost" if it's legal for bottom paint.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-01-2013, 22:50   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Actually I was thinking about the Seahawk additive..."Bio Boost" if it's legal for bottom paint.
My previous comment indicating that the "Bio-Boost" additive was TbT was incorrect. While SeaHawk does (or did) market a TbT additive, Bio-Boost is based on the aforementioned zinc omadine. However, the tech sheet for this product indicates that using it in conjunction with anything other a few SeaHawk anti fouling paints may result in paint failure:

Adding Bio-Boost to any other antifouling other than listed above may cause instability and result in unusable product.

http://www.seahawkpaints.com/Librari...2300.sflb.ashx
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 00:25   #36

Ya. Hilarious how non-sailing marketing fools have said things like "Bio-Boost". I am sure the bio material on my bottom does not need a boost or any other kind of help. That sounds like a fertilizer. What dopes.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
My previous comment indicating that the "Bio-Boost" additive was TbT was incorrect. While SeaHawk does (or did) market a TbT additive, Bio-Boost is based on the aforementioned zinc omadine. However, the tech sheet for this product indicates that using it in conjunction with anything other a few SeaHawk anti fouling paints may result in paint failure:

Adding Bio-Boost to any other antifouling other than listed above may cause instability and result in unusable product.

http://www.seahawkpaints.com/Librari...2300.sflb.ashx
thanks for that. What I read from them is..."Designed ONLY for Sea Hawk bottom paints". Sounds more like marketing to me.
Old 13-01-2013, 13:40   #38
Marine Service Provider

The Seahawk Bioboost, from what I understand, is for slime/algae protection....not additional help for barnacles/mussels. It works with SeaHawk paints that are solvent based...not water based. Good results are seen with there Tropikote or Biocop TF when adding Bioboost. No need for additive if slime isn't a problem.
Old 13-01-2013, 13:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottompaint View Post
The Seahawk Bioboost, from what I understand, is for slime/algae protection....not additional help for barnacles/mussels. It works with SeaHawk paints that are solvent based...not water based. Good results are seen with there Tropikote or Biocop TF when adding Bioboost. No need for additive if slime isn't a problem.
Wouldn't it stand to reason the Bio-boost would work with other solvent based bottom paints, like Pettet Trinidad?

Tags
bottom paint, paint