Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 17:45   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: bottom paint application options

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
Well yes, but in general. I realize their application is more difficult than others, but does this difficulty equate to better performance vs other types of paints?
It does not equate to better anti fouling performance. Vinyl paints pretty much suck in that regard.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 20:13   #32

Boat: C&C 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
I'm thinking you would do well with ablative. I use Trinidad but I cruise having movement with varried salinity and water temps kills off alot. I put vc in my dinghy and it's better then nothing but it gets growth after a few weeks in the water.
I have previously used ablatives, but I'm looking for something a little more slippery.
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 20:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms
It does not equate to better anti fouling performance. Vinyl paints pretty much suck in that regard.
What would you say is the best overall paint?
Old 21-07-2012, 20:33   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
What would you say is the best overall paint?
Again, Pettit Trinidad is the most effective, most durable anti fouling paint available, IMHO. And it can be made smooth enough for all but maybe the most serious of racers. As the Pettit web site says (and it's really true); Trinidad is the anti fouling paint by which all others are judged.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 23:22   #35

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

We keep our boat a little further north in Rock Creek off the Patapsco and the water is slightly less brackish than the West River, but not enough to make a difference. The growth is very high on the Chesapeake and I would suggest not only a biocide but an anti slime agent.

We used ablative Micro Extra up to a few years ago with good results getting two years off of 2 coats ( red and blue)...a few more on leading edges of keel bow and rudder). We switched to Ultima 60 2 years ago and are on our third season with it. We do have a diver who goes down every couple of months from March- October and when we take her north like Worton Creek I will dive her with a snorkel and wipe of the slime which is minimal. ( no nettles that far north). We switched to the Ultima because it appears to slough off at a lower speed than the Micron. I recommend either for your needs

If you were going to use a hard paint I would go with fastbttms recommendation of the Trinidad, however if you pull your boat every year oit will have no effectiveness year to year where I beleive the ablative will

Seeing as though you race similarly to me what the speed you will save is that there will be less growth on your bottom than the rock hard racing paints. The diver maintainence is important too.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 11:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms
Again, Pettit Trinidad is the most effective, most durable anti fouling paint available, IMHO. And it can be made smooth enough for all but maybe the most serious of racers. As the Pettit web site says (and it's really true); Trinidad is the anti fouling paint by which all others are judged.
I will give the paint a look. From your description of it, the paint seems perfect for me, thank you!
Old 22-07-2012, 11:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
We keep our boat a little further north in Rock Creek off the Patapsco and the water is slightly less brackish than the West River, but not enough to make a difference. The growth is very high on the Chesapeake and I would suggest not only a biocide but an anti slime agent.

We used ablative Micro Extra up to a few years ago with good results getting two years off of 2 coats ( red and blue)...a few more on leading edges of keel bow and rudder). We switched to Ultima 60 2 years ago and are on our third season with it. We do have a diver who goes down every couple of months from March- October and when we take her north like Worton Creek I will dive her with a snorkel and wipe of the slime which is minimal. ( no nettles that far north). We switched to the Ultima because it appears to slough off at a lower speed than the Micron. I recommend either for your needs

If you were going to use a hard paint I would go with fastbttms recommendation of the Trinidad, however if you pull your boat every year oit will have no effectiveness year to year where I beleive the ablative will

Seeing as though you race similarly to me what the speed you will save is that there will be less growth on your bottom than the rock hard racing paints. The diver maintainence is important too.

Dave
I paint the bottom every year, so I am not looking for something that will last forever underwater. I race 2-3 times a week and so want something that leads more towards the racing side of the spectrum. I usually have a diver once a month, and that seems to work pretty well. In addition, the boat is used so often that growth doesn't accumulate very quickly, so I think fstbtttms recommendation is good for me.
Old 22-07-2012, 11:54   #38

@chef2sail, what kind of boat are you sailing? From the picture, the lines seem to be beautiful!
Old 23-07-2012, 18:03   #39

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Of course it's a C&C 35MKIII k/c. That's why you like it. I used to race her and she can be a rocket ship with the right crew. Now she has davits, radar, dinghy, aux motor. Looks like a Christmas tree, but she is a racer/ cruiser . We take her to LI Sound and New England for 3 weeks every summer.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 22:53   #40

I thought those lines looked familiar, only C&C could produce something that pretty! What year is she? Oh and, how do you think she would hold up against a 1980 40?

Tags
bottom paint