Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 14:52   #1

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Bottom Paint

Has anybody had any first hand experience with epaint bottom paints?

http://www.epaint.com/shared/Tech%20...%202011-01.pdf

I am sure my purchase of for me my new boat will be finalized early in the New Year and before I move the boat into Mexican (warmer) waters I am going to have a new bottom paint job done. The last was done about 3.5 years ago so it is probably due. I have no idea what paint was used. The zincs were replaced at the same time so they will also need to be checked but that is all part of the survey.

So I would very much appreciate any input on good BP's for warmer/tropical waters.

This is I am sure will not be my last post asking opinions on a heap of subjects.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 15:29   #2

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Re: Bottom Paint

After 3.5 years and no haul out you would be a coral reef here in Oz If I were you I would be more worried about getting the boat out of the water to check through hulls etc. before I put any money on the table and only then would I be thinking about bottom paint. Ask the locals in Mex. What they usually use they will give you a good run down Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 15:44   #3

Jacko, I believe the yacht has been under professional management and has had regular underwater cleaning done so there is reportedly no growth build up. However she will be hauled out for a full survey. She has been sailed spasmodically.

What I am doing is to get as much info as possible prior to said dates as after that I will not have so much time to do research etc and don't want to be hood winked by know it all salesmen. The yacht is in the San Diego area and I live in Mexico so I will be going backwards and forwards to get things done before bringing her south.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 30-11-2011, 15:47   #4

Good on you Mexdon you are up to speed good luck and good sailing Jacko
Old 30-11-2011, 15:51   #5

Jacko what part of far NQ do you hail from? I lived in Cairns for about 4 year some years back so know the area pretty well, did about 1500 dives on the reef and got my divemasters there.
Old 30-11-2011, 16:14   #6

Hi Mexdon I am now back in Cairns for wet season ( cyclone season ) have just sailed down from Lizard Island having spent 4 months based there. Was out at the Cod Hole in Oct ( that will bring back good memories for you )
I always call into all of the good spots when out cruising so had a few drinks "Hick hick" Port Douglas, Cooktown and all of the many islands and reefs. I will be going back to Cooktown next week to help a mate to sail his 55ft Yacht back to Cairns. Nice to hear that a few of you US guys get over we have fantastic cruising grounds and in the far north really remote so you do have to prepare for all this as resupply is only by barge every 2 weeks imagine working out the food, this year I had to take enough food for 4 months, can you imagine how much wine I had on board Cheers Jacko
Old 30-11-2011, 16:20   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Thumbs down Re: Bottom Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Really the worst I ever tried
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 16:37   #8

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Costly to apply and purchase. IIRC it takes numerous coats (as in lots of time and material) to get enough product on the hull for it to last one season. In this area there are alternative products that cost less upfront, have less labor time for application and last as just as long, if not longer. In other latitudes it may provide better antifouling than this area.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:17   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I've applied quite a bit of e-paint. It's basically strictly for race boats. It's primary attribute is that it's very hard and can be wet sanded to a very fine glossy finish. It's not really the same animal as normal bottom paint and can't be compared as such. The antifouling is not as good nor does it last as long as most bottom paints. But most race boats get regularly scrubbed and often spend time on trailers as well. Here's a couple of pics of a race bottom I did, both with e-paint, one before wet sanding, one after (although the keel stub seam is still being glassed and faired). Note that e-paint makes several different bottom paints as well, including the non-toxic ZO, that's zinc-oxide antifouling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0356.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	34273   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0359.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	34274  

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 18:02   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hey Minaret, you can do my bottom anytime... anytime at all! that second pic looks pretty damn nice!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-11-2011, 20:06   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey Minaret, you can do my bottom anytime... anytime at all! that second pic looks pretty damn nice!

Cheers,

Jim

Bring her on over to Seattle. And bring your checkbook too, you'll need it! Shop rates are fast approaching $100 an hour here, and these bottoms take time. But they sure are slick and fast! Every time we do one we hear back about a winning season. That one is finished to 1000 grit, I've done some J-boats to 2000....
Old 30-11-2011, 20:17   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
They haven't invented the copper-free bottom paint that will do an adequate job in high-fouling regions, IMHO.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:29   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
They haven't invented the copper-free bottom paint that will do an adequate job in high-fouling regions, IMHO.

Depends on your definition of "an adequate job". Works fine for racers who plan on hauling out to wet sand the bottom before the beginning of each season anyway. But I couldn't agree more for the average user, especially anyone who is a cruiser.
The seasonal wet sanding is why paints like VC-17 that have a copper powder additive are so popular with racers. The wet sanding exposes fresh copper and reactivates the paint. But you have to spray these bottoms with an airless and really get a lot of material on them to get the desired result.
Old 30-11-2011, 20:38   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

[QUOTE=Mexdon;828717]Has anybody had any first hand experience with epaint bottom paints?
snipQUOTE]

Yes -- the worst I've ever used. This picture is EP-ZO about 4 weeks after the last scrubbing/scraping. I had thousands of little seed barnacles that had to be scraped monthly. If I hadn't scraped I would have had a reef growing on my boat. It was effective on slime though.

Your time and money is too valuable to experiment on a big scale. If you're going to try "new technology"" bottom paint do it on a small scale (less than a square meter beneath your boat) and see how it works out before you risk a major mistake. You can make the bigger leap at the next haul-out if you like the results.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:42   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Depends on your definition of "an adequate job". Works fine for racers who plan on hauling out to wet sand the bottom before the beginning of each season anyway.
Seattle does not have high fouling conditions. You can get away with anti fouling coatings there that are essentially useless here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
The seasonal wet sanding is why paints like VC-17 that have a copper powder additive are so popular with racers.
Again, not applicable to regions of high fouling. VC17 is for use in freshwater or low-fouling saltwater.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint