Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-01-2013, 19:13   #16

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Re: Bottom cleaning and Annode changing

Wow! didn't mean to cause a fight on here. Back to the original. I agree with all of you and thank you for the replies. It's not that I don't trust them bottom guys. I just wanted to find out what the norm would be. I've been searching different sites and do realize water temp and boat sitting has lots to do with it. We'll monitor it from here on in and do our own investigating. We will be pulling her out and more than likely doing the bottom. Might as well. The zincs we'll play by ear and thank you to the one who suggested checking out what others are having done in that marina. All responses are usefull.

Old 29-01-2013, 07:33   #17

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Back to the orginal question....

Puerto Vallarta is notorious for "Hot" marinas... In Paradise Village or Marina Vallarta, you will replace zincs every 30-60 days.

When I was in Banderas Bay, a sister ship left his ladder in the water for a week and actually had some really bad electrolyisis. There were several holes in the stainless tubing.

Also Paradise and Vallarta marinas were built in a lagoon, which doesn't have good tidal flow. You will have growth on the boat of your vessel and a week or so...

Some Mexican Divers tend to be really aggressive on bottoms, if you don't watch them. They will use stiff brushes to clean growth, because it is easier and faster than a cloth.

If the boat is in one of those marinas, I would suggest you look at moving it to La Cruz Marina, which does not have those problems.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 09:47   #18

Hi Tom
Yes your right with the hot marina. We are at one of those marina's. The catch is the previous owner of the boat owns the slip and we are paying maintenance fees for them at a reduced cost I might say. Take the good with the bad I guess. Plus it's only 15 minutes from our condo. When we get down there this sunday I'll check out some neighbours and see how they feel about things. Famililar with La Cruz. Thought we would move the boat there but the owners of the slip made a deal for us. We'll monitor the zinc thing. I guess $5-8 a month not bad for maintaining things.
Old 29-01-2013, 10:00   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
We'll monitor the zinc thing. I guess $5-8 a month not bad for maintaining things.
Sure, assuming nothing bad is happening to your running gear in the way of corrosion. That could be an expensive assumption. Just because zincs are (allegedly) being replaced monthly does not mean that no damage is ocurring.
Old 29-01-2013, 10:06   #20

That is true. The boat has been in that marina since it was brought there in 83. Previous owners only used it 6 mths at a time. Day,week trips. Otherwise it just sat. From what I could see last time down when we looked her over it didn't seem bad and Mexicans said it was good but needed painting. We're pulling her out when we get down so I can have a good look see.
Old 29-01-2013, 10:08   #21

I've been doing some reading on BoatUS that aluminum annodes are acually bettetr for things including the enviroment. The fellows there are using zinc. I'm going to check with some other boaters there to see what they have to say.
Old 29-01-2013, 11:16   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Aluminum anodes may last longer than zinc, but I'll bet they're hard to find in Mexico.
Old 29-01-2013, 13:11   #23

Ya that could be. I'd probably get them through West Marine and take them down next trip.
Old 29-01-2013, 13:36   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'd be inclined to listen to professionals like fstbttms when it comes to bottom paint type, bottom cleaning process, zinc replacement and other underwater related items becuse he has seen more bottoms than most of us put together. I recall PV inner harbor being fairly hot in the past basically due to rampant stray electrical discharge. A few miles north in Mazatlan, problem was not nearly as bad, at least in Marina Mazatlan, north of the city.
It has been my experience that each marina differs in 'hotness'. Best idea is to check with those who clean bottoms in the area as well as liveaboards who monitor their zinc usage regularly. Owners who drop by occasionally many times don't have a clue what a sacrificial zinc is let alone the rate of deterioration. Anode maintenance is an important issue that should not be neglected. Phil
Old 29-01-2013, 14:01   #25

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
A few miles north in Mazatlan, problem was not nearly as bad, at least in Marina Mazatlan, north of the city. Phil
Capt Phil

I sailed three times between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.... I logged it at about 190 nautical miles....

What is your definition of a few miles? :-)

Old 29-01-2013, 14:05   #26

A day's sail (24 hours) is a few miles to me... Phil
Old 29-01-2013, 14:09   #27

So Capt. Phil
I see you've sailed the Mazatlan to PVR 3 times. What kind of timing (days) would you be talking. And I guess what's in between that a person can enjoy. Thniking of doing that trip one day. Not this time down but maybe the next.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:34   #28

dnimigon... I think you were addressing your question to jeremiason. Don't know how many times I made the trip personally but was in the delivery business for about 15 years and probably delivered around 50 vessels from varous ports on the west coast of Mexico north and south. Must admit never took the time to stop and smell the flowers between Mazatlan and PV. I always counted on about 24 hours between the 2 ports. There are a few islands at the top end on Baderas Bay that are not accessible to the public because they are a prison, or used to be. Someone who has cruised the area more recently might have more up to date info.
Charts for the area used to be notoriously inaccurate, off about 1-1 1/2 km mainly because they were based on rather old soundings and 19th century map making. I'm sure there are some good spots to overnight in decent weather between PV and Maz, though... Phil
Old 29-01-2013, 19:19   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Bottom Cleaning and Annode Changing

Ah yes, the Tres Marias.
Smack dab in the middle of the rhumbline between LaPaz and PV.
You need to stay off at least 20 NM from those islands or risk having your boat boarded/seized.
As we passed we'd see a patrol boat going around and around and around the islands.
At least it was that way in the '90's.
Old 30-01-2013, 04:47   #30

Re: Bottom Cleaning and Annode Changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Ah yes, the Tres Marias.
Smack dab in the middle of the rhumbline between LaPaz and PV.
You need to stay off at least 20 NM from those islands or risk having your boat boarded/seized.
As we passed we'd see a patrol boat going around and around and around the islands.
At least it was that way in the '90's.
I was in Mexico from Oct 2010 to Mar of 2012....

On Maria Madre, one of the Islas Marias, is a Mexican Prisons. It is patrolled 24 hours a day by gun boats with a 10 mile exclusion zone.

I was glad to stand off, since the prison has no fences and once and a while prisoners do try to escape.

2 years ago three escaping prisoners were spotted by a sail boat floating away on a makeshift raft.

Tags
cleaning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: