Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-12-2012, 05:10   #16

shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Boot Stripe and Water Line

Look at the lines drawing of your boat. That's the funny drawing with all the curves that probably didn't come with the boat. That's what the designer created as the guide to determining what the boat's trim ought to be. Then, the builder transferred one of those lines to create the waterline, oops, design waterline. Then the builder added the boot top to make it pretty. Then the owner filled the boat with chain, filled the bilge with food and spares and gear. Then the owner realized the boot top had disappeared, went to the boatyard and repainted the bottom paint to the top of the boot top and repainted the boot top. Then he realized that the new dinghy and outboard on the new davits made the boat sink the aft part of the boot top. Now, a dilemma, what to do?

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:06   #18

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

You guys! The OP is not trying to change his waterline. Read his post. He just wants to know how to put it back in the same place after he does some fairing and painting work.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:38   #19

Boat: Cal 29

I'm often pleasantly surprised when a big motor yacht pulls in and that water line is absolutely dead on. Sure looks good. I applaud the OP for going the extra mm or so.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 16:16   #20

Originally Posted by Thumbs Up
Instead of a regular laser level I used one that can project a line across a surface (got it at SearsCraftsman 4-in-1 Laser Trac Level with Carrying Case and Laser Enhancing Glasses - I adjusted its height by blocking it up on a step ladder. You do not need to use the leveling feature on this, you just need three reference points (bow,stern, midship) Whatever you do though, do not use a sharpie to mark the line. Sharpie ink bleeds right through awlgrip.... wait a minute...maybe that is the answer, what if you mark it in sharpie before the awlgrip goes on?

In your particular situation though I would do what KJames suggested: Measure down from your toe rail at intervals then make a chart with all of these measurements. When it is time to "connect the dots" you will need to make a batten out of a long flat flexible strip of something and it is good to have some helpers hold it in place while you mark. Check your work by sighting down the line from bow and stern. Nothing looks worse than a wavy waterline.
Thanks, I just ordered that laser level.

I think I am going to do all these things. Measure every few feet, scribe bow, stern, and mid ships, and I am also going to try my idea and see how easy that is. I don't know if I can get the paper to lay flush against the hull?

I have never felt like the water line was off and I think the Bristol, 30 years ago, was bright enough to put the boot stripe about 6 inches above the true water line, even with the boat somewhat loaded.

The antifouling is now painted right up to the boot and it's nice to have that in a high fouling area.

Thanks for all the input!
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 16:29   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Most sailboats have the cabin sole parallel to the water line.
If yours is so, level the boat with the jacks and keel blocks.
Set up 4 sawhorses with vertical 2 x 4s clamped to the horses.
Position these such that you can run stiff battens, (i borrowed 20ft lengths of 1" x 3" aluminum tubes from a glass shop), run between, and clamped to the 2 x 4s athwartships, with the batten tops touching the bottom edge of the chosen waterline.
Stretch end-weighted line fore and aft between the batten tops, and slide these lines in and out so that they progressive touch the hull, --and mark.
Under the stern you can use a 4ft level from the line to the hull.
Connect the dots with a long flexible wood batten, 1/8" thick X 2" wide, with 2 helpers.
Very true results. Raise or lower the hull ends to adjust the W/Line.

so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: