Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 10:54   #16

Re: Boom Tent Ideas

adding a zipper and zipping on the awnings will work pretty well-the stackpack should keep the zipper from getting sunburned and you should be able to make it look pretty tidy. The awning track idea is what alot of big boats have developed instead of having a classic one piece awning with center bridle lifts and all the rest. With a 15' boom, your awnings will be of a very manageable size-tie off forward and outboard on the shrouds, the aft end is usually more complicated and might require some sort of pole to get adequate tension. A split rig makes it easy of course, but you do need to have a nice simple system to set it up good and tight-then it can stay up in breeze without problems. Ie: a pole that attaches maybe to the topping lift/boom end, connects with loops perhaps to the awnings at a couple of spots and then likely lashes downwards and outwards to your stanchions/railings (or it could run through a sleeve in the end of the awnings). I'd guess the pole would be no longer than 7 or 8 feet so not a big deal to use and stow-round fiberglass batten stock would work well for instance.
Good luck-you should be able to make a neat job of it and will be very happy "under the awning"...
newboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 11:07   #17

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore
Re: Boom tent ideas

Yes! I like this idea!

If only Doyle hadn't already sewn the stack-pack cover to the foot of the sail, I'd do it right now. Does anybody even make a sewing machine big enough to pass all that material through it? I suppose I'd have to remove the cover from the sail; sew the zippers on; then sew the covers back onto the sail. Ugh!

I think the aluminum track riveted to the boom might be my only sane option if I want to do any sailing this year. :-)
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 11:16   #18

Any decent sailmaker should be able to sort out sewing a zipper along the foot of the sail/stackpack and making up awnings for you - a home machine won't go through the footrope, sail, cover and zippers. If you are already in commission and will make the awnings yourself you could either go with the track or if you have foot slides rather than footrope you could lash or webbing/clips connect the two awnings together and to the sail slides.
newboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 12:36   #19

I'm hoping to make this a do-it-yourself project. We don't have any sailmakers where the boat is now, so I'd have to send everything back to Doyle in St. Pete to have the zippers added.

On the other hand, I can drill and install the awning track in probably 30 minutes. The boom looks pretty beefy, so a 1/8" hole with a rivet in it every 8"-10" is probably not a big deal.

I tried resewing a zipper on my bimini last week with a cheap Singer sewing machine, and it convinced me to go ahead and spend the bucks for a nice Sailrite LSZ-1. If I can't learn how to sew a simple rectangular piece of canvas with it, I'll know it's time to quit sailing altogether.

Should be a fun project and a good learning experience.
Old 10-07-2011, 16:05   #20

Re: Boom Tent Ideas - Update

Got my new Sailrite SZ1 sewing machine, and I'm on my way to master seamstress - or is that seamster?

I decided to go with the awning track riveted to the boom. First trial fitting looks pretty good. I don't like the way I decided to handle tensioning the awning at the eaves, though, so I need to re-think that solution. Right now I have short loops of webbing sewn to the corners of the awning to pull it out tight using lines to the toe rail. I don't like the way they pull on the fabric, so I'll take them off and do something else.

Right now, I've only sewn one side - so I can get all the bugs worked out before I do the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning1.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	29510   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning2.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	29511  

Name:	awning3.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	29512  
Old 10-07-2011, 16:09   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

It looks great. When you say an awning slide on the boom, is that so you can adjust the position of the tent?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 16:59   #22

Boat: Moody 42
Having a stack pack, I am very interested in how you attach to the boom. Details please.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 17:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It looks great. When you say an awning slide on the boom, is that so you can adjust the position of the tent?
The awning track is there because with a boom vang and mid-boom sheeting, and a Doyle Stackpack installed, there is no way to rig a single-piece boom tent either under or over the boom.

I riveted 10' of awning track to each side of the boom, just underneath the Stack-pack cover. The awning is about 9'6" in length, so there is a little bit of adjustability, but not much.

I don't have a dodger yet, so I'm prepared to have to shorten the awning if necessary if it interferes.

Aside from the 9'6" x 5'6" panel of Sunbrella, here's what I used:

Awning Track Aluminum 96" Long
Keder Awning Rope Black 5/16"
Forespar Awning Pole - Telescopes 69"-120"
Support Poles Adjustable 40" to 70"

Now I just have to sew the panel for the other side.
Old 10-07-2011, 18:07   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post

My idea is to install a length of awning track on each side of the boom, and have a 2-piece boom tent that slides into the awning track on each side and extends outward from there , thus not interfering with the stack-pack or the lazy jacks.
This is exactly what my yacht has and it works fantastically.
No need to remove it I just roll it up and some velcro tabs fix it to the boom. Its very quick to deploy or put away and no storage problems because it lives on boom.
2 full length fiberglass bitterns parallel to the boom. The only ties are to the lifelines.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 18:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This is exactly what my yacht has and it works fantastically.
No need to remove it I just roll it up and some velcro tabs fix it to the boom. Its very quick to deploy or put away and no storage problems because it lives on boom.
2 full length fiberglass bitterns parallel to the boom. The only ties are to the lifelines.
Great idea. I was wondering what was the best way to store everything inside. Won't need to this way.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:30   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Here is a photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07 Fire s.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	29530