Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2020, 13:06   #1

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
Boom extention questions.

My boat is a 1977 Peterson 34. She has a Tall mast for a 10,800lbs boat that's a mere 33.92' long. However her keel is 5100lbs of solid lead.

All of the Standing rigging is 5/16ths, will soon be new 316 Stainless.

However this boat was never modified from it's original OEM set up. The double spreader mast is roughly 45-46 feet, and Keel stepped. The boom is the original 11' ??"..

Numerous post about this boat mention the common practice of extending the boom about 12", and Sails with that extended Foot.

So after buying the boat, and before Ebay became the over regulated, over priced site it is today. I bought a nearly brand new heavy Doyle main, with two reefs. I believe it is 10" longer at the foot, then my blown out North Sail.

Now I'm finally making good headway on boat projects. The Boom issue is going to get more and more important as I go.

So my current boom is an extruded aluminum tube, with the stern end a welded on end. The Mast end has a swing, and roll pivot.

I'd simply like some advice or ideas on who or even what to do.

Thanks all!

Pic 1 is the Mast end
Pic 2 is the Stern end
Pic 3 is the Manufacturer's badge. (Looks like SparCity?? Costa Mesa, Ca.)Attachment 207733Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_130206.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	207734Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_125105.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	207735
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 13:36   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Boom extention questions.

Unless you can find a readily available new boom (Rig Rite?) that you can easily connect to the gooseneck fitting or mast, it might be easiest to extend the old boom by inserting a sleeve in the middle of it. A good aluminum welding shop should be able to do this, especially if you can find the sleeve for them (Rig Rite again??)
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 14:46   #3

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I believe that brand is actually "Sparcraft".
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 15:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
My boat is a 1977 Peterson 34. She has a Tall mast for a 10,800lbs boat that's a mere 33.92' long. However her keel is 5100lbs of solid lead.

All of the Standing rigging is 5/16ths, will soon be new 316 Stainless.

However this boat was never modified from it's original OEM set up. The double spreader mast is roughly 45-46 feet, and Keel stepped. The boom is the original 11' ??"..

Numerous post about this boat mention the common practice of extending the boom about 12", and Sails with that extended Foot.

So after buying the boat, and before Ebay became the over regulated, over priced site it is today. I bought a nearly brand new heavy Doyle main, with two reefs. I believe it is 10" longer at the foot, then my blown out North Sail.

Now I'm finally making good headway on boat projects. The Boom issue is going to get more and more important as I go.

So my current boom is an extruded aluminum tube, with the stern end a welded on end. The Mast end has a swing, and roll pivot.

I'd simply like some advice or ideas on who or even what to do.

Thanks all!

Pic 1 is the Mast end
Pic 2 is the Stern end
Pic 3 is the Manufacturer's badge. (Looks like SparCity?? Costa Mesa, Ca.)Attachment 207733Attachment 207734Attachment 207735

Peterson 34 was a speedster in its time ... very nice boat

As to lengthening the boom..... hmm

First I would pester every rigging company in your area to see if they have any old booms laying around ...much easier to shorten a boom

If you must lengthen ...adding to the mast end seems logical..load in compression

Be aware that a long boom has disadvantages at sea...when eased out power reaching and downwind the long boom tends to drags thru the sea at high speed ..not good
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 20:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mack sails could get you a new internal reef boom from US Spars for less than a $1,000. If that's too pricey for you, start calling every boat yard and rigging shop you can find. They all seem to have a used spar and/or boom laying around and one of them may fit your needs with a little modification.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 15:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
I believe that brand is actually "Sparcraft".
Thanks NSboatman!

My boom is in many ways pretty simple. Plus it has some damage such as ripped out screw holes, some mild corrosion..

I'll be able to the mast end off pretty easily. Than measure the internals. Maybe just buy a full extrusion, to rebuild my boom.
Old 15-02-2020, 15:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Mack sails could get you a new internal reef boom from US Spars for less than a $1,000. If that's too pricey for you, start calling every boat yard and rigging shop you can find. They all seem to have a used spar and/or boom laying around and one of them may fit your needs with a little modification.
I will look into this too.

However the only really good Roller furling boom I ever saw was $10k from Schafer. All the others I investigated seemed hard to use, binding up.. etc..

Not to close minded though. So I'll check on that for sure.
Old 15-02-2020, 15:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Peterson 34 was a speedster in its time ... very nice boat

As to lengthening the boom..... hmm

First I would pester every rigging company in your area to see if they have any old booms laying around ...much easier to shorten a boom

If you must lengthen ...adding to the mast end seems logical..load in compression

Be aware that a long boom has disadvantages at sea...when eased out power reaching and downwind the long boom tends to drags thru the sea at high speed ..not good
Not a bad idea either. Unfortunately everything I have found in SF Bay is TOP DOLLAR only..

I refuse to pay $1000 for some old junk, that new could replace cheaper.

Not to say I can't look though.

I'm definitely finding better deals online, in Eastern States (but without shipping).
Old 15-02-2020, 19:27   #9

Boat: Riva 48

I would not extend the boom, I would cut the mainsail you have. These boats were designed so that the Genoa provides the drive, the main just balances the boat. Extending the boom will move the center of effort, you will get weather helm which is difficult to correct and likely no change in speed. Extending the boom is not that hard but then you need new lines, out haul, reefing, etc. it is a big effort. If you go to a fueling boom where you get some new functionality, it makes a lot more sense.
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 19:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
I would not extend the boom, I would cut the mainsail you have. These boats were designed so that the Genoa provides the drive, the main just balances the boat. Extending the boom will move the center of effort, you will get weather helm which is difficult to correct and likely no change in speed. Extending the boom is not that hard but then you need new lines, out haul, reefing, etc. it is a big effort. If you go to a fueling boom where you get some new functionality, it makes a lot more sense.
Actually Pizzazz,

That extra foot of foot, on the mainsail was VERY common on this boat in the late 70s, early 80s for THAT exact reason.

Numerous owners reported having a foot more boom, and that tiny bit of extra main, balanced this boat much better than the original design.

I'm not doing it because I got a wild hair. I'm doing it because numerous writings on this boat, by many owners reported the boat to be much easier to sail after this simple modification.

Plus.. I already bought the Sail! [emoji1787]