Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2014, 19:30   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54
Bomar Hatches

hi all, ive got these great Bomar 19in x 19 in series 100 cast aluminum hatches but the dogs and adjustment rods are shot . Any suggestions on where to find them would be greatly appreciated, thanks
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 20:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: bomar hatches

Parts just about anywhere. I think West, Jamestown, Defender or direct from Bomar Bomar - Spare Parts - Extruded Hatches
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 21:44   #3

You actually want these:

Bomar - Spare Parts - Cast Hatch Parts

They are crazy expensive. I just had my hatches machined, sand blasted, powder coated, new lenses, new gaskets, new risers, and new dogs. The bill for machine shop, sand blasting, powder coating, and plastic shop combined was far less the the cost of just the risers. Ouch.

Still way cheaper than a new hatch. Just make sure you use lots of Tefgel when you put the new parts on. They are stainless and the hatch is aluminum.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 22:30   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Bomar Hatches

I've got one of the 34" cast hatches. They wanted $4k for it 8 years ago. So I sand blasted and had it powder coated. One problem though! Cast aluminum gasses when it heated to 350 degrees for powder coating, so it has to be baked first to dry it out. Otherwise the powder coat will have bubbles in it. Even at that mine still gassed. So afterwords I scotchbrite the thing and painted it with a bootstripe paint (tough stuff) to seal the pours, and it lasted these past 8 years.

The powder coating cost me $160.
Old 14-09-2014, 22:45   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

delmarrey, thanks for the tip... on the pitfalls & perks of various aluminum coatings. BTW, Vinegar aka Acetic Acid, works in a pinch, in lieu of more hazardous & corrosive acids, prior to priming aluminum BTW. Assuming you're using a good, self-etching primer that is.
It ain't as tough as anodizing... but then, you have to go to exotic coatings to do better than that.

Also, thanks for the Bomar parts tips gents :-) If memory serves, Bomar is now Pompanette.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 08:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I've got one of the 34" cast hatches. They wanted $4k for it 8 years ago. So I sand blasted and had it powder coated. One problem though! Cast aluminum gasses when it heated to 350 degrees for powder coating, so it has to be baked first to dry it out. Otherwise the powder coat will have bubbles in it. Even at that mine still gassed. So afterwords I scotchbrite the thing and painted it with a bootstripe paint (tough stuff) to seal the pours, and it lasted these past 8 years.

The powder coating cost me $160.
Had the same thing with my cast aluminum Bomar ports. Sandblasted, dried and powder coated but several of them had bubbles and a pitted look. The people at the shop told me it always happens with boat stuff. I know them well so assumed they were telling the truth but nice to hear independent confirmation.

On my aluminum body windlass I stripped it and primed with a two part etching Al primer, Alumiprotect from Petit. More work but cheaper. So far that's doing well. I did a hatch that way 30 years ago and the last time I saw it the finish looked like new.
Old 15-09-2014, 08:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
You actually want these:

Bomar - Spare Parts - Cast Hatch Parts

They are crazy expensive. I just had my hatches machined, sand blasted, powder coated, new lenses, new gaskets, new risers, and new dogs. The bill for machine shop, sand blasting, powder coating, and plastic shop combined was far less the the cost of just the risers. Ouch.

Still way cheaper than a new hatch. Just make sure you use lots of Tefgel when you put the new parts on. They are stainless and the hatch is aluminum.
Oh yes, that's the right page. I copied the wrong link. Thanks for correcting my stupidity careless mistake.

Good point to mention the Tefgel. I have a couple of SS bolts I will have to drill out of the hatch frame because 30 years of salt welded them together (figuratively speaking). Everything going back together will be liberally coated.

Tags
bomar, hatch