Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 18:04   #1

Boatyard woes with management

So when we got to the yard we had a list of todo items that we went through and talked about getting quotes on. Later we picked what we wanted done and then we organized the order it would be done in. In the process we found that we'd be buying a new motor and the scope of the work the yard was to do changed. I specifically told them I'd be removing the old fuel tanks myself. However, they removed them. Also they pulled the motor out (which I wanted) while I was away.

Upon return to the boat I found the cockpit well hatch lip cracked (probably from forcing it when removing the fuel tank.) I was pretty miffed that they did this without me and also that they broke something. I was also upset since I had told them I didn't want this done. But what the hell right? I'll pay a little more and called back to make sure they didn't do something they shouldn't again.

We also emailed and called several times trying to get the price for what they did do that we asked them not to. We haven't heard from them yet. We also included information about the damage, still haven't heard a peep in two days. Unreturned emails and phone calls.

Today I found a buyer for our old motor which we were assured was in the warehouse. We went to the boatyard to show the motor and found it on a crate behind an old building covered with a tarp. We pulled off the tarp and the motor is on its side with the exhaust bent. The timing belt cover is split and the timing belt itself is almost pulled off. Don't know what other damage. The guy that pointed us to it (not a yard worker) told us that it was actually upside down for a couple of days and was dropped.

What recourse do I have? I have no motor in our boat, I can't just up and leave. I figure I'll install the new fuel tanks myself, install the motor and then leave not paying them to do any of the other work I was planning on having them do. I'm shocked at how sloppy this is. I'm really shocked. I couldn't get the manager on the phone this evening. I suppose I'll go see him in person tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2011, 18:42   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Boatyard woes with management

AFTER the boat is in the water, take them to small claims court.

Make them pay for damages, excess billing i.e. pulling tanks and other like charges and get a letter from the gentleman who was buying your engine with the amount he was paying,
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 19:51   #3

Boat: Custom

Is there anyone you could bring in to do the work for you and charge them back to the original yard???

Just an idea.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 20:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

How much is on paper as to what you wanted them to do?

Be sure to take plenty of pictures for documentation purposes.

I realize it is too late, but for the benefit of others try to be at the yard when the work is being done or at least come in once a day to check up on things. There are good yards and there are bad yards but they all need to be watched. I think it is a tendency of yards to be more careful when they know the owner or an agent of the owner is around.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 20:31   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I hope you had a signed and itemized work order.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 23:16   #6

The initial list was signed on paper. After they pulled the tanks and motor without telling us we revised the list and sent it to them to sign again which they haven't responded to yet.

The problem with the pricing is that on the first itemized list the fuel tank item was "remove and reinstall new tanks". Well they only removed the old tanks. So how much will they charge us for that one part of the bigger item? Still no answer.

Also we've been taking tons of photos of everything. So that shouldn't be an issue.

I've never gone to court with anyone. Not sure even how to approach small claims court. I just hope when I talk to the manager they're reasonable and will fix what they've screwed up. Wish me luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 23:28   #7

Photos of the motor as we found it:

Engine Room Refit Day 9 – Boatyard Troubles | SV Sundowner sails again
Old 09-06-2011, 21:47   #8

So I ended up striking a deal with management. For the damages they won't charge me for taking out the fuel tanks which was a pretty hefty charge. Ideally I wouldn't have paid for that to begin with but I did have to admit the entire work order and changing scope was confusing. So not ideal for me; not ideal for the boatyard.

At least they wanted to work with me on.

As a lesson learned...
If you can, keep your work scope extremely simple and ask the yard to do what you need done in order, one piece at a time.

Tags
boatyards