Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 17:39   #31

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25
Re: Boat name painting or decal

I am rapidly becomming convinced that decal is the way to go. But how about the old decal. Should I peel it off? Won't it leave the "bleached" out name underneath? So the hull will be off white with brighter white where the name was? What could I use to clean it all off. Thanks everyone.
j. e. felt
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 17:49   #32

I have a tangential question on renaming.

I removed the old decals and it seems like the white gelcote hull under the letters is a different color. This is not just a change in the reflectivity but actual color shift. it slight but I'd prefer to remover the old name completely.

I tried hull polish and then really fine wet/dry sandpaper but neither seemed to make a difference. Any thoughts?

john III
jfyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 18:45   #33

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Decals are fine but keep the pressure washers away from them.
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 18:47   #34

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfyiii View Post
I have a tangential question on renaming.

I removed the old decals and it seems like the white gelcote hull under the letters is a different color. This is not just a change in the reflectivity but actual color shift. it slight but I'd prefer to remover the old name completely.

I tried hull polish and then really fine wet/dry sandpaper but neither seemed to make a difference. Any thoughts?

john III

What do you mean by "really fine"? I could see having to hit it with some 400 if the lettering has been there for a while. Good thing it's gel. This is why you should not change the name of your boat. You might sand a hole in it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 21:27   #35

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
Good lettering enamel should last 5-7 years if you keep it waxed.
After 20+ years of Sign Painting and specialiZing in lettering all sorts of boats both in and out of the water I have plenty of thoughts about all this
1. There ARE still Sign Painters out there, but we are a vanishing breed, and hard to find.
2. Paint WILL last if applied correctly, waxed now and then. just think of how many posts you have seen about people having a hard time getting the lettering off....lol
3. If you change boats often, or scratch your boat often, then maybe decals are the best choice. If you plan on keeping the boat then removing the name will not be an issue.
So here is the trade off.
Vinyl lettering is charges usually by the inch of letter height....so 8" letter at $1 an inch =$8.00. If you have a long name or a really big boat that can add up.....PLUS most Sign Shops have a minimum charge of some kind.
That is for ONE color letter. If you want extra details like an outline on the letters, or a drop shadow to make it look classier the double the cost. If you want drop shadow AND an outline then Triple the cost.
If I paint it, I can keep the costs on the extras down because I am not cutting and throwing away all that excess and very expensive vinyl.
Applying decals to a compound curve can be a challenge and these days most are done wrong. Painting it is compensated for during the layout process.
Sooooo if you want a plain one color boring look, then go for the decal. If you want something really nice, that stands out from the rest, and involves some real old time Craftsmanship, along with all the free stories you can stand the take the time to find the local Old Sign Painter, feed him some coffee to sober him up, and let him/or her work their magic.
You did not say where your home port is, but if you come near the Pamlico Sound area of NC look me up.
By the way.....nothing gets attention in a Marina like a Sign Painter working of a project......except maybe a pretty girl, or free beer, and eventually they will end up over watching the Sign Painter....lol
I have the gold over teak and the paint lasted close to 15 years!!
Striping it down for the 3rd time and will have it hand painted again... A classy woman should have the real thing (Diamonds not Glass)! The small one has vinyl and it works well. (did it for my son when we launched her.)
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 21:40   #36

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"

Forgot to say the registration is done in vinyl because we have changed state's over the years and it is much easier to take off.
Both work well it just maters what you like !!!
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 22:30   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great timing on this thread as I am just renewing the stern lettering after paint job and new port of registration.
STAR GAZER
LANGKAWI

Could use some help on graphics and layout as I am of 2 thoughts.

First photo shows original Straight line on half of transom.

Should I do the same?
Or
With the wineglass reverse transom I was thinking larger letters full width with boat name having a medium arc up
and then port below straight across....

Thinking Gold Letter for that new lighter blue as an alternative to white

Any advice or ideas?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447309561844.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	112834   Click image for larger version

Name:	1447309637030.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	112835  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1447309684293.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	112836  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 23:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
OMG..

with 60EUR I got name and home harbour laser-cut into solid 316 SS 3mms thick (1/8") with my font of choice....

I hate plastic things. Please do either :-)

VIHUNA - SOUTHAMPTON

100EUR for a rounded logo 80cm (2' 6") diam.
Do you have a link to the supplier? That sounds really cool but a 4' by 6" SS blank will typically run more than that before cutting.

Another vote for vinyl. Ours is 9yrs old and no noticable difference from the day we put it on. When the time comes for removal, a hairdryer and a plastic scraper makes realtively easy removal.

If it's important to you, they do make multi-color and shaded characters in vinyal. Yes, they will be more expensive but so will a they be if you pay a painter to do it.

One nice thing, if you damage a letter, you can always order a new one (assuming you keep a record of what you ordered) rather than trying to find a painter who can match in.

Also, the gelcoat color issue applies for vinyal or paint (found that on a previous boat when we removed the painted name). The issue is either protects the underlying gelcoat from UV damage, so it fades less than surrounding gelcoat. We hit it hard with buffing compound for a bit but eventually we moved on with life. After a year or two it faded to a more even color and was almost impossible to see unless you get right up close.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:25   #39

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

My boat transom had a faint shadow of the old name after peeling off the old vinyl letters... after a couple years the sun seems to have bleached out the difference.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:39   #40

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
So did you use that as a stencil to spray paint the letters?
I just glued the SS on stern with SIKA
any good carpenter with a benevolent ear and a laser machine (600+k$ ) can do it
Having a carpenter u trust is more important than a automaker, to me
I had many customized items from him....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:41   #41

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
So did you use that as a stencil to spray paint the letters?
I just glued the SS on stern with SIKA

It is a single piece of material

any good carpenter with a benevolent ear and a laser machine (600+k$ ) can do it
Having a carpenter u trust is more important than a automaker, to me
I had many customized items from him....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 21:40   #42

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No it was the first GE powered ag plane, it was an experimental prototype, we painted the airplane just pure white with the idea that you can do things with Vinyl that would tax a very talented painter, plus you could change it later if you wanted.
It would not hold up on an airplane long time I don't think, but I've seen pictures of a Cessna Caravan that fast signs wrapped that looked like a waving American flag. I doubt a painter could have done that, but a computer and a printer? Easy.

GE's H80 Engine Makes its First Flight on the Thrush 510G Aircraft | Press Release | GE Aviation
Cool video. I take it that's the latest Turbine Thrush? I have a little bit of time in the first Turbine Thrush. Maybe not "the" but a very early one. Small hopper and maybe only 685 shp. I'm not an ag plane pilot but it was an interesting plane to fly. It felt like a giant J-3 Cub, you fly the Cub from the back seat and the Thrush has the hopper in the front seat. Same kind of view fwd and they kind of fly the same too, at least empty.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, paint